Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

New Supra Specs and Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Inflation makes things that cost $45k in 1993 run about $78k now. FFS our money has lost so much value..
Old Jan 22, 2019, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Inflation makes things that cost $45k in 1993 run about $78k now. FFS our money has lost so much value..
only nominally
Old Jan 22, 2019, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
if it had better than Corvette performance like the MKIV to C4 did, and roughly equal to C5, maybe a little worse, I think it could justify that price. but lets not forget the C5 was a 1997 model, it had nearly a decade newer tech available.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
When you have unrealistic expectations, you'll always be unhappy. Cars that make over over 450 wheel from the factory all cost of 60k. Regardless of what it costs to build, if you produce a car in that range, you price it accordingly.

Toyota sales are strong. They were the 2nd most valuable brand in 2018, behind only Mercedes. Please, tell me what they're doing wrong...lol. Huge auto manufacturers don't build cars for the .2% of potential new car buyers that don't like the new supra. That's what companies like Lotus do, and that's why they don't have a measurable market share. Sure, they're successful in their segment, but on the grand scheme they're nothing compared to Toyota or another big brand.

Toyota might have the resources, but when you're publicly traded, you have to perform well for the share holders. And spending hundreds of millions to develop a niche car with its own unique platform and engine is NOT how you make a profit when that vehicle goes to market and you sell 10k units a year. It's funny you point out GM being able to offer cheap and fast sports cars.... They're also massively in debt, closing plants, and laying off large numbers of their work force. So, what does that tell you? They can't even sell Camaro's at sticker. I was about to buy a 1SS 1LE in May, I had barely started haggling and the sales manager brought me a number that was like $6500 off sticker, and they were trying to get my dad to trade his gen5 ZL1 in on a gen6, they were giving private party value on his car, and $7500 off the new one...lol
There is no doubt that Toyota has been very successful.

GM's financial problems have little to nothing to do with building Camaros or Corvettes. We could spend years talking about why they have declined, but the quality and reliability of high volume vehicles (at least the public's perception) has a lot to do with it. If building Camaros and Corvettes while Toyota offered no sports cars was the reason for the financial performance difference between the two companies, then the quality/reliability difference between them should be greater now than in the 1990s when Toyota produced two sports/performance cars (MR2 and Supra). In fact, that gap dropped a lot over that time. Also, the Volkswagen Group, which has many performance oriented/sports cars, was doing just as well as Toyota in recent years in terms of stock price appreciation until they cheated on their emission tests. And as you mention, Mercedes has been successful and it offers sporty cars.

Poor Camaro sales have a lot to do with its terrible visibility and looking like the prior mediocre models.

Clearly, Toyota knows it has an image problem with people viewing its products as bland basic transportation. That is why they've tried to make the Camry and even RAV 4 more sporty. Same with Honda in the Civic, Accord and CRV. The difference is Honda made a real effort and produced an awesome NSX and Civic Type R.

This effort by Toyota just seems lazy. Collaboration is fine, but this just seems like Toyota did little else, but provide some specs to BMW, and rebadge the Z4 as a Supra. I'm not saying Toyota should be offering large numbers of sports cars, but they should have done more for their sports car.

Last edited by revhappy; Jan 23, 2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Jack in the box tacos in '93...$0.99

Jack in the box tacos in '18...$0.99

(lol they recently raised the price to $1.29 mid 2018 haha)

z
e
R
e
p
Old Mar 6, 2019, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Has everyone seen the new Supra youtube add, a bunch of legend racing car drivers talking in European accents remembering how much a great car the Supra was then a clip of it trying to drift around a corner, cause that's what you do with Supra's. It reminded me of the 86 adds when it first came out
Old Mar 6, 2019, 06:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Has everyone seen the new Supra youtube add, a bunch of legend racing car drivers talking in European accents remembering how much a great car the Supra was then a clip of it trying to drift around a corner, cause that's what you do with Supra's. It reminded me of the 86 adds when it first came out
link?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
link?
interesting, I can't find it, it appeared to be out of the Gazoo endurance Toyota team, lots of clips joined together talking like it's race car!! It going to be interesting on how well it goes in Au, just looking at our Toyota site, coming soon a legend is reborn
Old May 18, 2019, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...amaro-v-6-1le/
Old May 19, 2019, 08:32 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Mini rant because I'm slightly disappointed by a car that was so close to being something really cool...

I got semi serious about getting one of these, but the more I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion that I just can't.
The car falls in the middle of two goals I have for my cars...so does neither well.
For me, a paddle shifter is great if I'm going for all-out lap times. Except this transmission doesn't shift fast enough to justify it and the car isn't really fast enough to need them. So, I wouldn't be using it in that way. Compare to paddles on a GTR or GT3.
Okay, I still like the looks and it sounds great..then it needs to be fun and enjoyable to cruise around in. If it had a manual transmission, I'd say "Nailed it!". But it doesn't. Compare to FRS, etc.
The car misses the mark for me, so I can't commit. I'd be completely happy with the car if it had a different trans. I'm fine with the power, looks, sounds, build quality..all of it. But the paddles are out of place. It's like putting paddle shifters in a Miata.
If they ever build one with a manual, I'd be serious about buying again.
Fingers crossed.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
If Toyota developed Supra as a hybrid with a manual 6-speed gear box I think it could have provided a modern platform that would have engaged enthusiasts with tech and retain a drivers involvement.

It wouldn't surprise me if KIA or Hyundai would develop something in the same price range but with a sport hybrid and a manual option.
Old May 19, 2019, 09:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Mini rant because I'm slightly disappointed by a car that was so close to being something really cool...

I got semi serious about getting one of these, but the more I thought about it, the more I came to the conclusion that I just can't.
The car falls in the middle of two goals I have for my cars...so does neither well.
For me, a paddle shifter is great if I'm going for all-out lap times. Except this transmission doesn't shift fast enough to justify it and the car isn't really fast enough to need them. So, I wouldn't be using it in that way. Compare to paddles on a GTR or GT3.
Okay, I still like the looks and it sounds great..then it needs to be fun and enjoyable to cruise around in. If it had a manual transmission, I'd say "Nailed it!". But it doesn't. Compare to FRS, etc.
The car misses the mark for me, so I can't commit. I'd be completely happy with the car if it had a different trans. I'm fine with the power, looks, sounds, build quality..all of it. But the paddles are out of place. It's like putting paddle shifters in a Miata.
If they ever build one with a manual, I'd be serious about buying again.
Fingers crossed.
I actually enjoy most dual-clutch gearboxes, but I'm not yet sold on the ZF automatic in the Supra. It appears to shift quickly in the videos, but I'm struggling to to believe it won't have any of the vague response associated with every slushbox I've ever driven. I know full automatics are technically great these days, but I'd be much more interested if proper clutches were involved.

I'm also still disappointed that the Z4 model gets the better motor and more power from the factory. I'm hoping Toyota left significant tuning margin on the table from the factory, as well ample room in the wheel wells for wider tires. If this thing can easily take 285+ tires and a simple tune pushes past 400whp, it could be an easy-button enthusiast car. Could be great to autocross if it's classed properly.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:05 PM
EvoM Guru

I think I figured out why its auto only, I think they did it for that 0-60 number... there's no way a traditional manual would be able to put down a 3.8 in that package

the thing that annoys me the most, all the reviews I watched they mentioned that they brought up the manual and toyota responded with some version of "we know, we heard the internet, we're tired of hearing about it already"... well if you f*cking know, why isn't there a f*cking manual at launch? and whats your f*cking excuse?

other than that the car seams awesome
Old May 20, 2019, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
does the z4 have a manual?
Old May 20, 2019, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kyoo
does the z4 have a manual?
yes.

so does the 335 with the same/similar engine