Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Lol wtf are you smoking over there today? Drain pain for axle grease lol! This aint gear erl son! Just a sticky mess. Plus Im doing this on my driveway so hard to control the whole wind aspect blowing dirt and grit up in there as I hear bearings love sand

I think I just need to buy a set of Hoosiers and mount them up on the evo to help motivate me.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You put a drain pan under it so the grease doesn't get on your drive way, thus reducing the sticky mess....lol
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe the extreme Vegas heat is doing something to your axle grease but last time I checked if I took a tub of grease and held it upside down it would take a very very long time to "pour" out. All Im saying is the stuff is very thick. Its not making a mess on my driveway but rather my hands arms pants shirt face since I always manage to have an itch with messy hands etc etc lol!

Keep the drums on grease stays inside. Pull drums off grease gets all over me. Is what it is just like I said sticky mess haha
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, when I do it, usually the bearings fall out of the hub, and onto to ground. The drain pan also catches most of the brake dusts that inevitably comes out when you pull the drum...lol
Old Jul 20, 2017, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Fair enough I dropped one bearing pulling it out but after that I realized I was able to wiggle it out and hold the outer bearing and washer with my thumb as I pull the drum outward #pro

Regardless my only point was that its a really annoying way to adjust the brakes for something that is such a simple concept. I was playing around trying to get the star to spin and realized it was just easier to pull off the drum and do it as you described. But it was getting late I was sweaty losing daylight and the mosquitoes kept biting me so I was getting really annoyed so I threw in the towel. I did a little bit of googling and thats when I realized my brakes are the Dexter Nev-R adjust type and I was like woah sweet f the adjustment Ill just go drive it. And of course now Im back to the I think they need to be manually adjusted a lot closer prior to the self adjust to make itself useful.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
the self adjusting ones only adjust like one click per brake application. if you put new brakes on you need to hit the brakes many times (while rolling) to get them to fully adjust.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

In time however they should work themselves out then. I mean I didnt do like a million stops but I did drive around for about 20 minutes and made a good amount of stops. 1 click per stop 20 stops 20 clicks should lock them up for sure.

Any difference in stopping using the truck's brakes vs coasting and pulling the manual TBC lever to just apply the trailer brakes? I don't see how it would be different unless the gain is turned down significantly which in my case it was set to max gain. The only other thing I can think of is that my TBC settings were screwed up in that I had it set to the light electric setting vs the heavy electric setting as the heavy setting is recommended for trailers in excess of 10000# which empty Im at 1/5 of...I still think its an adjustment setting vs TBC setting but Im battling myself with the whole itll work itself out vs manually setting it. As fun as it is driving around aimlessly Id rather not waste an hour if at the end of the day I need to manually adjust them close enough in the first place.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
My thoughts exactly, it's way easier to install a turbo or swap calipers then it is doing freakin trailer brakes lol.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Just a little ole 30' aluminum.

Locks up the tires when empty at about 75% on the controller.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 08:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Oooooo, enclosed with driver side escape door. I wants! Does the fender well come out too?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Nice setup ya got there and thanks for another data point! I pulled around my trailer for about 15 minutes on Saturday while I was waiting for my GF to get ready and kept using the brakes. Its still nowhere where it needs to be but the good news is that now Im at least feeling the brakes a lil more so such that if I use the manual control I'll feel a slight tug. But even so thats with 100% on the TBC.

Its looking like Ill have some time to myself this weekend so I think Im going to get it back up in the air and try and adjust them manually and then drive it around again. While it seems the brakes are getting better it seems the Nev-R adjust is moreso a fine adjustment as they wear and really should be set properly off the bat. Making progress slowly but surely.

I also just ordered some Bilstein 5100 dampers for the rear of my truck. My truck has the factory air ride which I love but I noticed that with the trailer hooked up it seems extra bouncy so I suspect that the dampers from the factory kinda suck. What's interesting is that the suspension manufactures specify that the dampers do not fit on air ride equipped trucks but I think that is BS and they just havent tested it. Sure they wont match the spring rates properly but I've always had great luck with Bilsteins, am confident it will be an improvement over the factory and at $70 a pop it seemed like a no brainer to test. It'll be interesting to see if they fit as well as if it'll help the bounce.

And then from there I would love to get them for the front however the front is a coilover so the airbag surrounds the damper such that I think that may actually be unique. I called the dealer and you cant order individual components for the front and each assembly costs $1500! So yeah that blows.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Are you sure the factory air ride isn't air shocks?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah there is just an air bag(spring) and then a separate damper in the rear. The front is one assembly.

Front: https://www.google.com/search?q=ram+...aJnwHqctiPn3M:

Rear: https://www.google.com/search?q=ram+...2k7S4vBwrHQUM:
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Fenders do not come out but the door on my evo does clear it so it's not bad.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Yeah there is just an air bag(spring) and then a separate damper in the rear. The front is one assembly.

Front: https://www.google.com/search?q=ram+...aJnwHqctiPn3M:

Rear: https://www.google.com/search?q=ram+...2k7S4vBwrHQUM:
Gotcha. I don't see why it wouldn't work then. It's like having the airbag instead of a coil spring would change collapsed and extended lengths of the shock.

They probably say it doesn't fit because they don't have a matching front shock if your truck has air ride.

Quick Reply: Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?