Notices
Project Cars and Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX 2.3 Liter Build FP Black Build

Old Apr 2, 2019, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So out fancy curiosity did map help u out in away?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 146 Likes on 138 Posts
Dang, I'm getting tempted to build a block with Lumpy Sticks !
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommyfacekicker View Post
I’m scared bec I don’t want have the funds to build 2 blocks back to back.
Nobody does haha. My engine builds were at least 2 years apart and this last one was super budget. 4g64 block is 300 bucks, crank is as low as 100 bucks. Rods and pistons were about 1k, but that was the highest expense. Machine work varies.

So out fancy curiosity did map help u out in away?
Nope, I ate it. However, if it wasn't for their mistake, I would have never developed the anger, motivation, and courage to learn to build motors myself. I had a good coach too (letsgetthisdone), but most importantly you have to take initiative. The rest was just reading, reading, reading. I did get to reuse all my hard parts aside from the piston ring set since nothing blew up. If it makes you feel better, one build does not necessarily represent everything that comes out of MAP. They still sell good parts and some have had no issues with their motors. There are some who do have issues and don't report it. What I can say now is that I don't notice any more oil burning and the motor sounds, feels, and drives better.

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer View Post
Dang, I'm getting tempted to build a block with Lumpy Sticks !
You guys should, you've both done it many times before haha. Building a block is fun! The only parts that suck are the machine work and cleaning.

Last edited by Pal215; Apr 2, 2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pal215 View Post
However, if it wasn't for their mistake, I would have never developed the anger, motivation, and courage to learn to build motors myself. I had a good coach too (letsgetthisdone), but most importantly you have to take initiative. The rest was just reading, reading, reading.
This is the same reason I decided to start building my own engines. After working in the auto industry for as long as I have I've realized that most people doing this type of work are underpaid and unhappy. It's no surprise mistakes happen constantly, and the shops that do care are completely swamped and builds take months.

I really enjoyed reading this thread, and I'm really glad you posted everything with the detail you did. Definitely among the most enjoyable build threads I've read in a long while on EvoM. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your build, and I love seeing all the DIY stuff you're doing. The touch controlled mirrors and other stuff is absolutely badass! Love it, keep up the good work!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all of the details. I was curious about why no one posts up about the map ultimate duty rods on this forum or anywhere. No info on them since 2011. But I think this helps me make up my mind n I’m gonna go with the Manley’s.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nope, I ate it. However, if it wasn't for their mistake, I would have never developed the anger, motivation, and courage to learn to build motors myself. I had a good coach too (letsgetthisdone), but most importantly you have to take initiative. The rest was just reading, reading, reading.
Do you care to share what books you read or the author of the books?

Thanks,
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 758 Likes on 711 Posts
Nope, I ate it. However, if it wasn't for their mistake, I would have never developed the anger, motivation, and courage to learn to build motors myself. I had a good coach too (letsgetthisdone), but most importantly you have to take initiative. The rest was just reading, reading, reading. I did get to reuse all my hard parts aside from the piston ring set since nothing blew up. If it makes you feel better, one build does not necessarily represent everything that comes out of MAP. They still sell good parts and some have had no issues with their motors. There are some who do have issues and don't report it. What I can say now is that I don't notice any more oil burning and the motor sounds, feels, and drives better.
I have a friend who just had a car come into his shop with a MAP motor, same issue. Smoking like a chimney, oil collecting on the top of the pistons, using a quart of oil in <100 miles. Compression and leak down are good, turbo doesn't leak. It's now staying with them for a tear down. Probably a good bet its the same issue, upside down rings. This same friend has seen problem with several MAP engines. As well as their "stage5" ported heads that make less power than stock.

A local guy with an EvoX has a MAP motor. It doesn't seem to use oil or smoke, but it sounds he did a cummins 4bt swap with all the noise the engine makes....

Everyone should really just stay away from them.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fox_IX View Post
This is the same reason I decided to start building my own engines. After working in the auto industry for as long as I have I've realized that most people doing this type of work are underpaid and unhappy. It's no surprise mistakes happen constantly, and the shops that do care are completely swamped and builds take months.

I really enjoyed reading this thread, and I'm really glad you posted everything with the detail you did. Definitely among the most enjoyable build threads I've read in a long while on EvoM. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your build, and I love seeing all the DIY stuff you're doing. The touch controlled mirrors and other stuff is absolutely badass! Love it, keep up the good work!
Thanks Fox_IX, I appreciate that! I enjoy this hobby and don't mind sharing the results that come with it. I also have fun posting on this particular forum because it has actually helped me the most out of any other evo forum to date. As cheesy as it sounds, the mirror project was one of my favorites because I worked with my younger brother. The fun about it is having a 2006 Mitsubishi pull up to a 2019 Tesla and then automatically fold the mirrors from a keyfob. It shows that anything can be fitted to anything with enough determination. When an opportunity comes up to do something for the first time, particularly when it's not the end of the world if the project fails, i'll take the leap.

Thanks for all of the details. I was curious about why no one posts up about the map ultimate duty rods on this forum or anywhere. No info on them since 2011. But I think this helps me make up my mind n I’m gonna go with the Manley’s.
It's probably because the Manley "turbo tuff" I beams have been around longer and proven their strength for some time now. It's hard to choose the map rods if you already know the Manley's will do the job for sure.

Originally Posted by lv05evo View Post
Do you care to share what books you read or the author of the books?

Thanks,
Wish I could help with this, but I haven't picked up a solid book since I graduated back in 2014. ( A bit ironic hah? ) These days I spend my time reading data sheets and technical articles at work. All the reading I did to build engines came from this forum and jafromobiles youtube channel. My creative side is taken by piano and guitar, but nothing beats cutting your knuckles on the evo.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
I have a friend who just had a car come into his shop with a MAP motor, same issue. Smoking like a chimney, oil collecting on the top of the pistons, using a quart of oil in <100 miles. Compression and leak down are good, turbo doesn't leak. It's now staying with them for a tear down. Probably a good bet its the same issue, upside down rings. This same friend has seen problem with several MAP engines. As well as their "stage5" ported heads that make less power than stock.

A local guy with an EvoX has a MAP motor. It doesn't seem to use oil or smoke, but it sounds he did a cummins 4bt swap with all the noise the engine makes....

Everyone should really just stay away from them.
That's awful! One would think they would revise their practices after years of problems. It brings back bad memories of burning oil, the smell, the sinking feeling that your car could blow up if you don't top it off with oil every time you go to the gas station, the constantly fouling plugs .......ahhhh good times! XD

Last edited by Pal215; Apr 8, 2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have about 118,000 miles on the car now. I changed the oil last night and it came out dark as expected, but it seemed to keep most of it's lubricity. Currently using VR1 10W30 Synthetic and a Bosch oil filter with excellent results. I also threw in a new set of plugs and emptied the catch can. I now have about 23 quarts of used oil that I need to get rid of at an Autozone as soon as possible. This is left over from doing too many oil changes for everyone