Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

I Can Haz Track Car???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
nice
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You're going to get a boat load of oil out of the balance shaft port. I wouldn't do that. If you have enlarge the valve cover ports, I would do that first.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You're going to get a boat load of oil out of the balance shaft port. I wouldn't do that. If you have enlarge the valve cover ports, I would do that first.
That did occur to me as a possibility. I'm going to see how it does. If the can fills up quickly then I'll change it up.

Like I said I'm not having any issues with the pcv system as is, which is pretty much stock, but more vents won't hurt. The catch can was free and everything other than the block fitting I already had laying around so it's not costing me much at all to give this a shot.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Engine is all back together. Getting it mated to the trans tonight and dropping it back in tomorrow if I can find the time.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 03:47 PM
EvoM Guru

badass. Good luck. I hope it stay together this time
The following users liked this post:
Ayoustin (Sep 25, 2017)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 02:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Car is about done, just have some little things left to do. Decided to work through the night and went from an engine on a stand to in the car ready to run in a little over 12 hours. Got the dash back in and it's ready for some new gauges that I ordered. Unfortunately I had a bit of a mishap with getting the driver's side inner axle stub back in and the splines have been messed up pretty good by the circlip. Trying to source one local so I can have the car ready for this weekend to give it a shakedown.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 07:38 AM
EvoM Guru

I've done that before. Usually happens because the hog ring somehow gets expanded, then gets folded over the shaft. Makes hard to get back out too. Big PITA.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 07:52 AM
EvoM Guru

I've done that before. Usually happens because the hog ring somehow gets expanded, then gets folded over the shaft. Makes hard to get back out too. Big PITA.
That's exactly what happened. Circlip mushroomed a couple splines together. I took a peek into the diff and I don't see any damage to those splines fortunately.

Just ordered up an axle and two new circlips from a local dealer. Told them to next day ship it so it'll hopefully be in tomorrow for pickup.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta love the usual "you weren't broke when I removed you but I'll be damned you are now" reassembly drama. Been there to many times.

Hope the shake down goes well, loving the build.
The following users liked this post:
Ayoustin (Sep 27, 2017)
Old Sep 28, 2017, 08:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Protip- the new shaft comes with new hog rings already on it.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:36 AM
EvoM Guru

Protip- the new shaft comes with new hog rings already on it.
Just got the new one from the dealer. Guess I've got extras then. I believe the service manual says to replace them so having a couple laying around wouldn't be bad.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Stupid question but since you guys are talking about it I figured Id ask. What is the best way to install the new hog ring onto the half shaft? Last time I did my clutch the ring had expanded some so I attempted to pull it off and compress it again only to then have to bend it back outward some to get it back on the shaft. Im guessing this time around it may fight be some when i try to slide hammer it out.

So what is the proper way to get it on without distorting it?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 05:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Got the car all done last night. Couple small kinks but they all ironed out just fine. Car feels absolutely great. Oil pressure looks pretty good too. Since I couldn't squeeze in a better oil pan I think I'm just going to do track days on my street tires and monitor my oil pressure gauge like a hawk.

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Stupid question but since you guys are talking about it I figured Id ask. What is the best way to install the new hog ring onto the half shaft? Last time I did my clutch the ring had expanded some so I attempted to pull it off and compress it again only to then have to bend it back outward some to get it back on the shaft. Im guessing this time around it may fight be some when i try to slide hammer it out.

I've head of people using vice grips to compress it for a few hours before installing but honestly there really isn't a proper way that I know of. I don't know if it was the circlips or the new splines but the new shaft slid right in and seat with two light hits.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe

The shaft with clips is only like $70, I just replace the shaft. The hog rings are a pain to get on without ruining them

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Got the car all done last night. Couple small kinks but they all ironed out just fine. Car feels absolutely great. Oil pressure looks pretty good too. Since I couldn't squeeze in a better oil pan I think I'm just going to do track days on my street tires and monitor my oil pressure gauge like a hawk.

I've head of people using vice grips to compress it for a few hours before installing but honestly there really isn't a proper way that I know of. I don't know if it was the circlips or the new splines but the new shaft slid right in and seat with two light hits.
The new shaft def helps. I think the splines get beat up with repeated removal/install over time.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Went for a little cruise today. Remembered to bring my gopro for once. Here's a little action of the shifter since I've had some people ask about it. Side note: the car is breaking up a bit, pretty sure the plugs are fouled.

Quick Reply: I Can Haz Track Car???