Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

I Can Haz Track Car???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Got my track exhaust made yesterday. Car is obnoxiously loud, definitely throwing the BR catback back on today. Funny thing is that the car picked up more vibes from the exhaust than the balance shaft delete and poly engine mounts combined. Over the winter I'll get my O2 housing modified with another bung so I don't have to remove my wideband every time I change exhausts.

Kind of starting to get slammed with school work but hopefully it won't slow things down too much. Still pursuing small little knick knack projects but most of them are still in the infancy/idea phase still.

Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
I like it. I want to do something similar but run it all the way out the back basically just deleting the heavy *** muffler.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Run a length of pipe to a 22 inch magnaflow then the turndown. Just did it for my other car
Attached Thumbnails I Can Haz Track Car???-img_3503.jpg  
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
that's literally how my evo came just a small piece of piping oh hell no loud as fkkkk lol
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
I like it. I want to do something similar but run it all the way out the back basically just deleting the heavy *** muffler.
Thanks. Yea I think I would've done it further back if my exhaust had a 2 bolt flange further back. Everything else is all slip fits and I'm not a big fan of messing around with those.

But I can't complain, $40 in material, got it welded for free and it'll shave a good 25-30lbs. Plus changing out the exhaust takes less than 10 minutes. I seriously love how Mitsu made the exhaust hangers for these cars.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 03:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be making it out to anymore track days this year, some financial stuff has cut out money for anymore track days. Can't say I'm horribly disappointed (I am) since I'm still on the stock oil pan.

On that note I'm starting to compile a list of mini projects that have popped into my head, a couple of these I've already started and a couple I'll be starting soonish. None of them are large projects, they're things I'll be doing in my free time, I have other large projects in mind but most of those aren't going to happen until I've gotten more seat time with the car and/or have more disposable income.

Most of these I would like to have done and on the car by the time spring comes around, and with the rate I get things done an earlier start is better. Anyway I'd like to hear if you guys have any feedback/questions/ideas about any of it.

Projects:

- Master cylinder brace - still brainstorming this, have a couple ideas. Goal is to keep it as light and simple as possible

- Oil catch can - already started, figuring out the best place to plumb the can, still undecided on whether I'm going to vent the can or run it as an inline sealed can. Probably will take some testing to decide

- Ethanol sensor/readout - there's already a thread on this, I'm thinking I might try to make a frequency to voltage converter built into the arduino to be able to use the freefuel patch (flexfuel patch for stock ecu) so I'd never have to worry about switching maps again

- Cam sensor cover - already started, nothing fancy here, just looking to add some rice to the engine bay

- Ethanol sensor bracket - trying to find a convenient and clean solution to mount the ethanol content sensor in the engine bay

- Ethanol readout bracket - need to make a bracket/enclosure for the lcd that displays ethanol content. Going to put this where the driver's side HVAC vent is. Right now it's just a sheet of perforated metal so I think it'd be a fitting spot

- Brake duct guides - probably going to be the trickiest project since I want the guides to conform to the shape of the bumper. Thinking I'm going to laser scan the bumper and import the shape into my modeling software and tweak it from there
Old Oct 11, 2017, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
im about to pull my arduino ECA off my car...pm me if you want to buy one thats up and running...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 05:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
im about to pull my arduino ECA off my car...pm me if you want to buy one thats up and running...
Mind posting a picture of it? Curious to see if I could make it fit for what I'm thinking.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 08:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Dropped the car off this morning to get the alignment checked to make sure nothing has shifted in the past few months.

Printed off the bracket for the ethanol lcd readout. Fits perfect in the car, just need to order an lcd to get the hole dimensions and then I'll print off a final version and figure out where I'm going to mount the arduino.

Should be running the mill tomorrow time permitting to do a trial run for the cam sensor cover. Using acrylic first to make sure the toolpaths are safe and then moving to aluminum.

Decided that I was bored looking at the stock Kognition wing ends and decided I'm going to make something a bit more fancy/sharp/ricey. Came up with two different designs, going to print off both and see which one I like better (or decide that they both look dumb) and then get a pair cut out on a cnc plasma cutter.

Old Oct 24, 2017, 08:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Made my trial run yesterday for the cam sensor cover. Made it out of acrylic to avoid breaking any tooling in case I made a mistake somewhere. Turned out perfect, I'm just going to go back and try to find where I can simplify the toolpathing a bit to cut down on time. Hoping to get one made out of aluminum tomorrow.

Old Oct 24, 2017, 02:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Man I like your roll cage. Thats one of the final things I've gotta sort out before the car is "done".
Old Oct 24, 2017, 06:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Man I like your roll cage. Thats one of the final things I've gotta sort out before the car is "done".
Thanks, me too! Whoever made it really did a good job with it. I really love how non intrusive it is.

Eventually I'm going to get a couple more bars added since I really want to start doing hillclimbs in the next couple years. To me I feel that means turning the roof from a single diagonal into a double (from RB-4 to 253-12), add corner gussets between the top windshield cross bar and a pillar bars, add a pillar diagonal bars (253-15) to reinforce the top windshield bar because my main hoop sits so far back and possibly add corner gusset bars between the main hoop and a pillar/roof bars (rear section of 253-31). I've also thought about having sill bars added to tie the door bars into but I also don't want to make the cage super heavy.

Here's a good link to give you a clear idea about what I'm talking about as well as some good guidelines for cage construction: https://www.nasarallysport.com/rules...Appendix-B.pdf

If you haven't already started talking to shops about having the work done I'd definitely give Paul a ring. Between Tyler, Chris and Bill they've turned out some very nice cages.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Oct 24, 2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 06:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ayoustin
Thanks, me too! Whoever made it really did a good job with it. I really love how non intrusive it is.

Eventually I'm going to get a couple more bars added since I really want to start doing hillclimbs in the next couple years. To me I feel that means turning the roof from a single diagonal into a double (from RB-4 to 253-12), add corner gussets between the top windshield cross bar and a pillar bars, add a pillar diagonal bars (253-15) to reinforce the top windshield bar because my main hoop sits so far back and possibly add corner gusset bars between the main hoop and a pillar/roof bars (rear section of 253-31). I've also thought about having sill bars added to tie the door bars into but I also don't want to make the cage super heavy.

Here's a good link to give you a clear idea about what I'm talking about as well as some good guidelines for cage construction: https://www.nasarallysport.com/rules...Appendix-B.pdf

If you haven't already started talking to shops about having the work done I'd definitely give Paul a ring. Between Tyler, Chris and Bill they've turned out some very nice cages.
I looked into Togue Factory and Izzys Cages out of St Louis. Both quoted me about $5k for a 6pt.

Can Paul do NASA certified cages?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 07:14 PM
EvoM Guru

I looked into Togue Factory and Izzys Cages out of St Louis. Both quoted me about $5k for a 6pt.

Can Paul do NASA certified cages?
I'm not super familiar with cage pricing but based off what I've seen friends pay I would guess mine to be somewhere in the $5-6k range.

Paul absolutely can do NASA cages. They did one on an STI earlier this year, they've also done a couple spec miata and spec E30 cages. And a handful of NHRA cages that I know of too.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 04:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Got the cover cut today. Turned out perfect, now I'm just debating if I want to take the time to polish it. Next on the list is the ethanol sensor bracket and readout pieces.

Quick Reply: I Can Haz Track Car???