Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

I Can Haz Track Car???

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 03:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Crap man. Any clue why you are blowing HG? What studs are in the car and which gasket you running?
Old May 15, 2018, 03:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
they made the hood able to go fully vertical for engine clearance.

....and this hole time I've been removing the hood and damaging the corners by placing it against the wall with cardboard. Adding more to the bucket of the stupid things I do
Old May 15, 2018, 04:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
Crap man. Any clue why you are blowing HG? What studs are in the car and which gasket you running?
The last time it was already kinda on its way out when I bought the car. Last time the head was warped a few thou so I had it shaved .003" to clean it up and threw in ARP 2000 studs and a factory gasket. I'm thinking it's either a surface defect on the block's deck (which wasn't warped when I measured it) or because the headgasket was compressed a second time when I rebuilt the engine after I lost rod bearing 4.

Just to be sure it wasn't something simple it didn't burp out any bubbles when I bled it earlier today and I checked the torque on all the head studs and they were all still at 80lbs.

Whatever it was, both the head and block are going to get a clean shave and a new gasket will go in again. If it happens again after its back together then I've got no clue what could be causing it.

Last edited by Ayoustin; May 15, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 15, 2018, 04:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Pal215

....and this hole time I've been removing the hood and damaging the corners by placing it against the wall with cardboard. Adding more to the bucket of the stupid things I do
I take it off too. Gives lots of room to lay over the engine and reach things on the backside. Luckily the hood is aluminum so no harm if the paint gets chipped, plus since mine is silver you can't tell anyway lol
Old May 16, 2018, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Yea I just realized a few minutes ago that the core support isn't bolted on...

I had made the false assumption it was and was going to pull that and just bring the engine and trans out the front. Well that's annoying. Out the top again it goes I guess.

Edit: Now I may be second second guessing myself. IF it's bolted on then everything is coming out the front.
Nope, the radiator core support is spot welded to the front engine rails. You can save some weight by removing this support and going with a tubular frame.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by deylag
Nope, the radiator core support is spot welded to the front engine rails. You can save some weight by removing this support and going with a tubular frame.
Was looking at it more this morning and saw that. Thanks for the confirmation. Kind of a bummer, it's extremely convenient when you can pull from the front. It had crossed my mind to tube forward of the frame rails in a couple years. Definitely going to consider it more now as pulling the engine would only take an hour or two if the front could come off.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The last time it was already kinda on its way out when I bought the car. Last time the head was warped a few thou so I had it shaved .003" to clean it up and threw in ARP 2000 studs and a factory gasket. I'm thinking it's either a surface defect on the block's deck (which wasn't warped when I measured it) or because the headgasket was compressed a second time when I rebuilt the engine after I lost rod bearing 4.

Just to be sure it wasn't something simple it didn't burp out any bubbles when I bled it earlier today and I checked the torque on all the head studs and they were all still at 80lbs.

Whatever it was, both the head and block are going to get a clean shave and a new gasket will go in again. If it happens again after its back together then I've got no clue what could be causing it.
when they decked the head, did they take the .003 off all at once, or did they go .002 then .001? My Machine shop always does a final pass at .001" cut to ensure the best finish. Reusing the head gasket probably didn't help either.
Old May 16, 2018, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
when they decked the head, did they take the .003 off all at once, or did they go .002 then .001? My Machine shop always does a final pass at .001" cut to ensure the best finish. Reusing the head gasket probably didn't help either.
Done at the shop I used to work at, watched my boss do it. Two cuts, first was a brush pass and the second was .002. So most likely ended a bit under .003 at the end. It's a pretty new Rottler machine too so I doubt there's any issue with the machine work done on the head. Head gasket had 500 miles on it and I've reused MLS gaskets before without issue. But that's not to say that reusing is wasn't the cause.

Got the new splitter cut out in the past hour. Just need to clean up the holes and work on getting the cables to the right length etc but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Old May 16, 2018, 02:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Yeah, machine work sounds fine. I just know I've had machine shops tell me they just knock .005" off and send 'em. No thanks...haha
Old May 16, 2018, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
how did you measure the wing angle? i never ran above 10 degrees and i couldnt make enough front df to balance that out.
Old May 16, 2018, 09:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
how did you measure the wing angle? i never ran above 10 degrees and i couldnt make enough front df to balance that out.
I threw a machinist straight edge across it (running parallel to the length of the car) and put a level on the straight edge. Not sure if that's the right way to do it or not.
Old May 17, 2018, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Cell phone clinometer?
Old May 17, 2018, 05:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Cell phone clinometer?
Indeed
Old May 17, 2018, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I threw a machinist straight edge across it (running parallel to the length of the car) and put a level on the straight edge. Not sure if that's the right way to do it or not.
yeah thats why i asked, wanted to make sure you were laying a straight edge over it and not something else...i didnt realize it could go that steep
Old May 18, 2018, 12:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
yeah thats why i asked, wanted to make sure you were laying a straight edge over it and not something else...i didnt realize it could go that steep
It can go way steeper than where it's at. I'd guess it maxes out around 40ish degrees.

Quick Reply: I Can Haz Track Car???