Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

I Can Haz Track Car???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 08:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
New Teflon lined bearings are always pretty much impossible to move with putting a bolt through them for leverage.

I would not grease them, it only attracts dirt.
Hardrace's website says they already have seals so maybe I'm just blind. I had a friend recommend adding seals, just waiting on him to clarify what he means. That is something I didn't really think about, maybe I'll just make it regular maintenance to check them to make sure they're clean.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Back when my off road truck was street driven, none of the spherical bearings had seals. The good Teflon lined ones don't have issues with dirt getting in them, the tolerances are tight enough. My only concern in your area would be corrosion due to road salt, but it seems you don't drive the car in the winter.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Yea, won't see really any salt
Old Jan 31, 2018, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Those Hardrace sphericals are for the front LCA correct?

Have you pressed them in yet? And does it come with some sort of spacers? Its gotta I'd imagine...Im going to pick up a set too; the WL poly binds like crazy with my PSRS
Old Jan 31, 2018, 09:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Those Hardrace sphericals are for the front LCA correct?

Have you pressed them in yet? And does it come with some sort of spacers? Its gotta I'd imagine...Im going to pick up a set too; the WL poly binds like crazy with my PSRS
Yes.

I'm pressing in one side today. They do come with 4 spacers. I have WL poly right now and that's the whole reason I picked these up. I'll let you know how it goes later.

Oh, and if you're looking to get some I'd probably order sooner than later, I had to wait a month to get them because they were on backorder.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks keep me posted with how it goes in terms of fitment. I always hated that WL bushing in that location but never got around to doing something about it.

And yeah I've talked on the phone with Mike@ Hardrace a few times now. We last spoke about a month ago and he said he was holding a set aside for me. Ill reach back out tomorrow after feedback from you on fitment.

But honestly my car is nowhere even close to being back together. My block is strapped to a pallet sitting in my truck as I wait here at work for for a fright truck to come pick it up.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 04:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks keep me posted with how it goes in terms of fitment. I always hated that WL bushing in that location but never got around to doing something about it.

And yeah I've talked on the phone with Mike@ Hardrace a few times now. We last spoke about a month ago and he said he was holding a set aside for me. Ill reach back out tomorrow after feedback from you on fitment.

But honestly my car is nowhere even close to being back together. My block is strapped to a pallet sitting in my truck as I wait here at work for for a fright truck to come pick it up.
Got the one side in without issue. I started it with an arbor press to make sure it was going in straight and that got it about halfway in. Then I had to use a normal press to finish it. I didn't do the other side because it's still in the car and I want to try and grab some before and after measurements with the new bushings I've got.

I did throw the bearing in the freezer overnight so it'd shrink and I heated the LCA with a propane torch for a few seconds before bringing the press down. I also cleaned up the bore in the LCA with some emery cloth to make sure that it was clean.

After cleaning it I noticed that the bore has these divot lines going down it and you can feel them so I'm guessing they are to help the control arm bore "give" a bit to get a proper press fit.

Also, my buddy showed me a company that makes bearing seals. Looks like these guys would be the right fit. Anyone think it's worth it to add another seal to a sealed bearing? http://sealsit.com/product/ws14mm6pk-rod-end-seal/

Last edited by Ayoustin; Jan 31, 2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome thanks for the update! Did you have a chance to install the LCA into the subframe yet? Im really excited to get these on my car to buy me some time before I go all out with Dallas's setup down the road.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Awesome thanks for the update! Did you have a chance to install the LCA into the subframe yet? Im really excited to get these on my car to buy me some time before I go all out with Dallas's setup down the road.
Not yet, I'm waiting to get my rear offset bushings which are in the mail. Should be here sometime this weekend and I'll get it pressed in monday. Eventually I'll pick up some knuckles from Dallas but that's not in this year's budget lol

Last edited by Ayoustin; Feb 2, 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Gotcha no worries. Yeah going into this winter my focus was on dropping weight and I was pondering the idea of picking up some knuckles from Dallas. Then last event spun a bearing and now this has gotten out of hand as I decided to freshen up everything. My spreadsheet is somehow now getting closer and closer to 20k. It all adds up quickly and Im paranoid to reuse things like lifters and the like so couple hundred here and there turns into an extra couple thousand that I didnt think about originally.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Gotcha no worries. Yeah going into this winter my focus was on dropping weight and I was pondering the idea of picking up some knuckles from Dallas. Then last event spun a bearing and now this has gotten out of hand as I decided to freshen up everything. My spreadsheet is somehow now getting closer and closer to 20k. It all adds up quickly and Im paranoid to reuse things like lifters and the like so couple hundred here and there turns into an extra couple thousand that I didnt think about originally.
Haha I know the feeling. Things like lifters are just fine to reuse. When I lost rod bearing 4 (other 3 got damaged) I reused everything except #4 rod. You just have to be extremely thorough cleaning everything. I pulled all oil galley plugs and ran brushes through them, spent almost an hour in a jet wash, relubricated everything a lot etc.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Got my LCA bushings and tophats from SSB in the mail today. The quality is top notch and I can't wait to see what kind of difference they make! Monday I'll get the bushings pressed in and rip the front struts out of the car to get them cleaned up and change out the tophats. Also got the materials ordered for the splitter so I should hopefully have all that in the next week or two and can begin making that. Almost done with the design, just figuring out a decent way to save a few pennies on the front mounting cables.

Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 226 Likes on 155 Posts
Nice! Dallas should offer those as regular stocked items. PSRS no longer made, WL unit is EvoX specific(Will work on CT9A but they are a little too tall). He'd have the market cornered.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Nice! Dallas should offer those as regular stocked items. PSRS no longer made, WL unit is EvoX specific(Will work on CT9A but they are a little too tall). He'd have the market cornered.
Yea I'll mention it to him after I've got them in the car and know they fit properly (they should fit but this is the first press fit part I've ever designed so some of it was guess work haha). I think he's got his plate full right now pushing out orders for knuckles.

But yea I think he'd do pretty good selling them. More offset than the Whiteline units (looks like a hair more than the PSRS based off pictures), easily rebuilt, and all the parts in them (snap rings, bearings, spacers) are off the shelf parts that are easy to get if anything needs to be replaced.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Any updates on fitting the front LCA's?

Quick Reply: I Can Haz Track Car???