Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

I Can Haz Track Car???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 05:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Are you intentionally leaving it rough, or is it just the lighting? Looks good either way.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 06:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Are you intentionally leaving it rough, or is it just the lighting? Looks good either way.
Thanks! It's not rough, it just looks like it because I decided to use a 1/16" endmill on one setup so I could get into the tight spots in the middle without having to change out tools. If I make more I'll probably make it two setups and do most of it with an 1/8" endmill and throw in the 1/16" for the tight stuff.

I gave it a quick polish in my garage to make the machine marks a bit more subtle. I'm content. Might go back and throw in some counter sinks for the bolt holes to fancy it up.

Old Oct 27, 2017, 01:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Made the bracket to mount the catch can. Mounts up using a factory bolt hole putting the can right behind the driver's headlight and the raised sections are to interface with countersinks on the catch can to keep it positively located. Still debating hose routing but I think I'm going to put it inline of the front valve cover outlet and upgrade it to a 10an over the winter.

Cam sensor cover installed:

Old Oct 29, 2017, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
Mind posting a picture of it? Curious to see if I could make it fit for what I'm thinking.
sorry, i just saw this.

pic attached as im about to list it for sale. lemme know if your interested.

board itself isnt that big, i just used a project box i had around.
Attached Thumbnails I Can Haz Track Car???-img_3642.jpg  
Old Oct 30, 2017, 05:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
nice cover I want one lol
Old Oct 30, 2017, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Eric SlowEvo8
nice cover I want one lol
Thanks! I'm debating having a small batch made, still working out some details though.

Picked up a 1.3 cable so I can finally change some things on the tune. Disabled some codes for the FPR solenoid and EGR to get rid of the CEL. Also turned on launch maps, builds about 20psi at 5700rpm which I'm pretty happy with. In the middle of converting the tune to speed density now. Have all the important stuff copied over, just need to get the VE tables squared away. Holding my breath that the weather for this weekend clears up so I can hit the strip one more time before putting the car away.

Also made a list of most of what I want to get done this winter:
- Reloom/remove wires
- Remove firewall insulation
- Port intake manifold
- Remove intake mani brace
- Clean/antiseize struts
- Powdercoat valve cover
- Make new splitter
- Install EGT gauge
- Reposition temp gauges
- Remove sprayer lines + misc brackets
- SD Al intake
- New wheel well liners/protect wires better
- Splitter rods
- Fresh drivetrain fluids
- Oil pan modification
- Port brake duct guides
- Refinish doors and floor

Last edited by Ayoustin; Oct 30, 2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm in if so lmk
Old Nov 1, 2017, 06:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Got the ethanol readout panel made. Got all the arduino stuff in the mail yesterday. Should hopefully have it running next week. Just need to order the sensor, plumb it in and make a bracket to mount it.

Also started making a new sump for the oil pan yesterday. This is a bit more of a long term project but I'm hoping to have it done by the end of the year. Shouldn't be hard at all, I'm just a bit strapped on free time. Going to cut it all out in sheets with the laser cutter and have my buddy weld it all up.

Last edited by Ayoustin; Nov 1, 2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Got the final version of the bracket made and mounted earlier this morning. Now just to finish up all the wiring and get the arduino coded.

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Got the arduino/control box all finished, waiting on the sensor in the mail and once I get that I just need to bracket it, plumb it and wire it and it will be up and running.

Got some more revisions done to the oil pan, mostly small tweaks and decided to make the trap doors 2 rows high. As far as modeling goes I'm done until I can either get a second pan for measurements or drop my pan off the car which won't be for at least another month.

Starting on the other three medium sized projects this week:

- Making a bracket/mount of some sort to mount the control unit for the Defi gauges within reach of the drivers seat rather than tucked up under the dash.

- Finalize fitment of the wing end plates. I've had to alter some of the geometry as I want to be able to keep the top plane of the endplates parallel to the ground when I add more angle to the wing. The current end plates don't allow for much adjustment while remaining level.

- Starting to conceptualize how I'm going to make my brake duct guides. The big obstacle I see is forming it so that it can effectively guide air to the brake cooling duct and the oil cooler. I'm going to make it a mirror design since I plan to put a cooler for the trans on the driver's side at some point. I think the best way for me to approach this is to scan the bumper and modify that surface in the modeling software, but time will tell. As for design I'm thinking something similar to the top one in the picture below but a larger hole for the brake duct hose and more of the area dedicated for the oil cooler.

Old Nov 14, 2017, 05:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Went to the strip one final time for the season, car is away for the winter now.

Being a bit under 30°F and overcast it wasn't the nicest day but I still managed a new PB for ET and trap with 11.36@122 despite being on cold street tires, fouled plugs, and not using any NLS (because fouled plugs) which I am satisfied with. I know that on a warmer day with my radials I could definitely pull off a high 10 pass but I'll have to wait until spring to give that a shot.

Old Nov 14, 2017, 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Still trying to get things squared away with converting the tune over to speed density. I need some help as I feel like I'm chasing my tail now and I'm sure this has to be a simple problem. When I open the xml in ecuflash there is no base xml that is opened from what I can tell, just the xml for the specific rom I'm using (94172715). And I think this is the reason why I can't change scale settings for axes and such.

I have the base xml files in the same folder as the specifc rom xml file so why aren't I seeing the base xml being used? Does it make a difference if a file is a .bin vs .xml? Sorry if some of these are stupid questions, coding and computer file work are definitely not my forte.

If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 01:08 PM
EvoM Guru

All XML files need to be .xml or they won't be referenced IIRC.

Shouldn't the ROM ID for SD be 94170715?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 02:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
All XML files need to be .xml or they won't be referenced IIRC.

Shouldn't the ROM ID for SD be 94170715?
Thanks. I'll try changing the file extension when I get home.

The 27 rom is for 2.0 SD (3d VE maps). At least that's the way I understood it when I downloaded it.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 02:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Gotcha. I've never used, or had a tuner use that one. Just wanted make sure it wasn't something got changed that shouldn't have and that was causing an issue.

Quick Reply: I Can Haz Track Car???