Notices

Rust Protection/Winter Preparation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deanob
getting Krown done this week. Non drill $50 have been doing it for years. Good stuff

By the way Krown doesnt make a mess a all. Its a sticky oil and hardens right away. It really is a great product.
Krown?? The oil they sprayed my car with was like the same consistancy of cooking oil and I'm pretty sure it doesn't "harden" as my trunk latch is still oily.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crester
What exactly does Pro-Tech seal do??? I supposedly have it done to my car... and I had to go for an inspection recently. But when I look underneath the car... I don't see anything. That's why I'm considering getting the bottom of the car sprayed.

So if I don't see anything under the car... and don't notice any holes anywhere like Krown.... where did they protect... and how did they do it?
Not sure what you had done to yours but mine i got the body and underside sprayed.

The underside is a thick black mastic (rubber) spray that covers all the bolts etc and the interior body panels are coated in greenish clear rubber coating. Hard to explain but you can see it all along my engine bay if you look close enough.

Ill be going to the Krown in Milton sometime soon just for a winter coating.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 08:08 AM

Is it worth getting Krown done if you got the dealership to undercoat your car when you boat it? Cause the dealership did it to mine back in May but it looks like its only the underside and not the wheel wells and engine compartment and doors like they do with Krown.....
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

^ $100 for added protection, why not.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SaltSweatSugar
Krown?? The oil they sprayed my car with was like the same consistancy of cooking oil and I'm pretty sure it doesn't "harden" as my trunk latch is still oily.
It definitely hardens. If your thinking shell type hardening no.. but it must definitely doesnt stay oily.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Do those things actually work? I was thinking about it... but wasn't sure if it was a gimmick or not. I know they use "cathodic protection" on ships and pipes... but I heard they are operating at a much higher voltage.

One dealer tried to push one of these units on me for like $700!
Haha definitely doesnt work man. Specially when half the car is aluminum to boot.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:00 AM

Do those things actually work? I was thinking about it... but wasn't sure if it was a gimmick or not. I know they use "cathodic protection" on ships and pipes... but I heard they are operating at a much higher voltage.

One dealer tried to push one of these units on me for like $700!
im not the sure about the science behind it but i know that the dealership is charging to much. there is one at canadian tire which they are selling for $299 at sale price. you can have it for the fraction of the price they are selling.. if you are interested.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by IN10S
im not the sure about the science behind it but i know that the dealership is charging to much. there is one at canadian tire which they are selling for $299 at sale price. you can have it for the fraction of the price they are selling.. if you are interested.
I saw one for $250 at a place called AutoClass which includes installation and warranty.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Got an email for MotorWorX
$200 for the hard underbody sealent one talked about above.
$70 for dripless rustproofing spray

I voiced a concern that sometimes Krown gets it on the body and although I didnt mind on my prior vehicles I expressed that I had just bought a brand new car and was worried about it. He said they will make it a priority not to overspray and you can watch as its done and look before removing the vehicle from the hoist.

They are located in Vaughan and their email is motorworx@rogers.com

Link to a group buy they have on RFD....

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/2010-...people-789514/

Last edited by deanob; Nov 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 08:52 AM

What exactly does Pro-Tech seal do??? I supposedly have it done to my car... and I had to go for an inspection recently. But when I look underneath the car... I don't see anything. That's why I'm considering getting the bottom of the car sprayed.

So if I don't see anything under the car... and don't notice any holes anywhere like Krown.... where did they protect... and how did they do it?
Theres a difference between rustproofing and undercoating. Did you get Rust and undercoat? or just one? If you got undercoat, the undercarriage will look like black tar stuck to it, rustproofing goes in the plugged holes on doorframes,under the hood, door creases, linings etc. so the reason your not "seeing it" is because you havent seen the undercarriage before spray? It looks silver and such.