Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator help

I received all the bits and pieces for my recently purchase v390 over the last couple weeks, and am getting ready to make the big install tomorrow with the help of a mechanic friend.

2 things I could use help with:

Where do they usually package the "Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator"? I've got everything unpacked and spread out on the floor and am yet to see this little plastic guy. I'm hoping there's some clever, safe spot that I haven't noticed which they usually hide it?

If I don't have one, is this something that can be acquired from say, a NAPA or Pep Boys type store? and what would it be called in laman-speak?

I tried calling Vishnu just now, but the guy that picked up acted weird like he didn't know if he was Vishnu, put me on hold a minute, then said call on a week day :-(

If I have to wait to get one from Vishnu, will it be bad to drive my car with everything installed but the Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator?

TIA for any help,
a n00b
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the emulator you purchase it from vishnu is thgis car xede or flash tune?
also wiil you be using a mbc or just the xede to contol boost?
the passive emulator looks like this:

its just the brown part the 2yellow parts are just hoses that i attached to it.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:09 PM

Flash tune, no MBC on the car, sorry I should have included this information ><

Thank you for taking the time to help a poor nub
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you should call them monday
Old Jun 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator is used to bump up the boost 2-3 psi higher to take advantage of your new V390 set up. You'll be fine getting everything installed and then driving it afterward. You just won't boost as high as you should be able to. The only thing that hurts is the fun factor .
Old Jun 30, 2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by EvoTio
The Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator is used to bump up the boost 2-3 psi higher to take advantage of your new V390 set up. You'll be fine getting everything installed and then driving it afterward. You just won't boost as high as you should be able to. The only thing that hurts is the fun factor .
That's good to know! Should I bother to take out "the pill" now? Or just wait until I have the emulator to install? I'm leaning towards leaving the pill in to prevent from boosting too much and having a potentially bad situation (at least I'm thinking that this is how it works).

Again, thanks for the help
Old Jun 30, 2007, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MadNutt
That's good to know! Should I bother to take out "the pill" now? Or just wait until I have the emulator to install? I'm leaning towards leaving the pill in to prevent from boosting too much and having a potentially bad situation (at least I'm thinking that this is how it works).

Again, thanks for the help
I don't know about the flash tune but on my Xede, I had to remove the boost pill. In my case I then added the passive boost solenoid emulator to increase the boost even further. With the addition of cams, it usually drops the boost level some and the emulator picks it back up.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

remove pill and run without emulator until one is obtained. unless you don't want to remove airbox twice.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 07:06 PM

i recently got the v400 package... my Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator came taped to the top of my ecu when it came back from vishnu....its a very small black plastic tube tapered on both ends and it has a small hole on one side. keep a close eye out for it, it will be very easy to miss!!
Old Jul 1, 2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by staxripa
i recently got the v400 package... my Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator came taped to the top of my ecu when it came back from vishnu....its a very small black plastic tube tapered on both ends and it has a small hole on one side. keep a close eye out for it, it will be very easy to miss!!
Yeah, there was deffinitely nothing taped to the ECU when I received it :-( I guess they forgot it? or maybe you're supposed to ask for it? I thought it was just part of the v390 package deal... o well, guess I'll call monday and try to work things out. For now I'll try running with the pill removed without the emulator.

Thx again for the feedback guys
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

The evo 8s no longer need the emulators, only the evo 9s. You need to remove the brass pill in the boost hose by the solenoid still. If you want to see instructions on how to do this, go here...

http://www.vishnutuning.com/evo_install_pill3.htm

Instead of installing the emulator, just plug the hose back onto the solenoid once the brass pill is out.

BTW, very strange about the guy picking up. We aren't open on the weekends, and no one is around the office that I know of.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
Former Sponsor

double post.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dustin@Vishnu
The evo 8s no longer need the emulators, only the evo 9s. You need to remove the brass pill in the boost hose by the solenoid still. If you want to see instructions on how to do this, go here...

http://www.vishnutuning.com/evo_install_pill3.htm

Instead of installing the emulator, just plug the hose back onto the solenoid once the brass pill is out.

BTW, very strange about the guy picking up. We aren't open on the weekends, and no one is around the office that I know of.
Hi Dustin

Thanks for clearing this up for me; we wound up taking the pill out and the cars feels reeeeeeally nice. What a difference... the thing kicks harder than my old WRX did with $10k worth of mods.

I called the number on the bottom of your site, (925) 648-7863 as 12:31PM (west coast time). Is that the correct number?
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Sometimes it forwards to Shiv. I called the shop one time after hours and he called me back