Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

updated wrx... what does this mean for the ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
updated wrx... what does this mean for the ralliart

http://jalopnik.com/398797/leaked-me...gt-level-model

"A member of the NASIOC forum has posted what appears to be a memo leaked from Subaru to the company's dealers revealing the revelation of a new Impreza GT. Just as importantly, the 2009 WRX's new 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gets an additional 41 HP, bringing the total power up to a whopping 265 HP. Also available will be a manual transmission, upgraded suspension and a more STI-like front end. We really liked the 2008 Subaru WRX STI, but with these changes, we're beginning to think the 2009 Subaru WRX may make just as much sense for many buyers. Well, except for that whole lack-of-a-stick thing. More details below the jump on what to expect from the '09 Subie WRX."

so IF!!!!! this is true. do you think the wrx engine will get power increase... or do you think they are just changing the crank horsepower number... because the wrx has been underrated horsepower wise for a while.

Do you expect a response from mitsu??? if so what? better tires? manual? etc
Old Jul 18, 2008, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

I was just coming in to post this.

Needless to say, this sucks. (Or rocks if it results in more powerful Evos and Ralliarts)
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:10 AM

Subaru is probably responding to mitsu i would think.. with the realease of the new Lancer Ralliart

Edit: I wouldn't think Mitsu would do anything... at least not in 09.

Last edited by used2havahonda; Jul 18, 2008 at 07:12 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mitsu needs to give the EVO 50 more hp, and the Ralliart another 30
Old Jul 18, 2008, 01:27 PM

I think both cars will hold their own just fine. It's just a matter of personal taste, not horsepower number alone, when it comes to car shopping, anyway.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 02:00 PM

I'd rather see more effort on making the car lighter and more agile. Anything more means you have to spend more $ on gas(not to mention failing to make CAFE). I wish they could work their way back to the TME cars. If we had a 6 with the X motor it would be sweet and get better that 12mpg. Also making it more powerful just makes a bigger gap from the 2.5i to the wrx, you are eliminating the daily driver aspect.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

It occurs to me that all the talk about RA vs. the Rex is premature. Wait until Mitsu comes out with an MT RA. Then maybe they'll bump up the power to compete with a more powerful Rex. Right now the only realistic comparo is RA vs. the AT Rex, so what's the point. I note that the AT will only be offered in the 224 hp "GT".

We can however talk realistically about the new Rex vs. the MS3 . . ..

Last edited by desperado-c; Jul 18, 2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 07:34 PM

hmmm...so the RA is a few hundred pounds heavier and now 30hp less than the 09 wrx.

but its still ugly.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

This shows how badly the wrx needed those changes to finally compete with the ralliart. Thats all it will happen.
Its funny to see how those kids at the NASIOC forum all day long praying to "baby jesus" that this info is true, all year long sad and depressed about they all so loved subie is just a quirky rex mobile, saying that oh well....this comparison (the edmunds vrs ralli and ms3) means nothing, its all about the 09 wrx. If someone wants to check out the most kindergarden like forum on the net is the nasioc forum.
Well, is good if they can have they prayers answered, more competition is better for everybody, I for one, Im so happy about what the ralliart offers me (recaro seats, fast-key, rockford fosgate 650 watts, evo like turn-in feeling and looks) all the stuff that the wrx doesnt and will not offer.
Relax, the 09 mazdaspeed 3 is gonna be improved as well,its just a matter of preference.
Mitsu indeed have stuff to address to the ralliart to make it an even meaner machine, but hey, which car doesnt as time passes by?
For now, mods will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Plus, what will be the torque figure on that WRX once they've upped the HP to 265? HP isn't everything it's hyped to be... and the RalliArt's torque curve is quite impressive. If they simply manage to peak to 265HP at some narrow point in the power band, this figure is meaningless. So let's wait to hear some definitive info. and then we'll see who's got the better car.

What interests me more is what they'll do to the handling. As you all know, a car can suddenly come to life with a decent suspension. Maybe the WRX will be back to it's old self once this is taken care of.

Still, even if the WRX looked good on paper, to me it still wouldn't look good in my driveway. The car will remain fugly and I'd rather buy that beautiful new RA than that weird looking hatchback... even if the RA performed a bit less. Then again, I don't drag race or rally... but I do glance at my car in the driveway from time to time.

Last edited by WoRkZ; Jul 18, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

WRX is still a piece of ****... much more than the mitsu.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WoRkZ
Plus, what will be the torque figure on that WRX once they've upped the HP to 265? HP isn't everything it's hyped to be... and the RalliArt's torque curve is quite impressive. If they simply manage to peak to 265HP at some narrow point in the power band, this figure is meaningless. So let's wait to hear some definitive info. and then we'll see who's got the better car.

What interests me more is what they'll do to the handling. As you all know, a car can suddenly come to life with a decent suspension. Maybe the WRX will be back to it's old self once this is taken care of.

Still, even if the WRX looked good on paper, to me it still wouldn't look good in my driveway. The car will remain fugly and I'd rather buy that beautiful new RA than that weird looking hatchback... even if the RA performed a bit less. Then again, I don't drag race or rally... but I do glance at my car in the driveway from time to time.
The 2009 Lancer Ralliart has a really impressive set of HP/torque curves, so the WRX will have to change more than HP to come close.

The handling on the WRX couldn't get much worse, so hard to see how it won't improve -- maybe they could steal a page from Mitsubishi and put crappier tires on them.

The WRX is unusually ugly, and the STi hood won't help -- unless you're visually impaired or have suffered a serious brain injury recently, the Ralliart will continue to win for looks, hands-down. The sportback Ralliart is the clear winner too, of course, though, like this new WRX, who knows when we'll actually be seeing them on lots?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 100$ GUY
This shows how badly the wrx needed those changes to finally compete with the ralliart. Thats all it will happen.
...Relax, the 09 mazdaspeed 3 is gonna be improved as well,its just a matter of preference.
Please share your inside info on the '09 MS3. Usually, the MS versions are 2 years and take your bow while the next model takes the stage. In this case they did release an '08.5, but that was an exception. Up until the RA was announced I was hoping they'd do and '09 AWD MS3, but now RA Sportback is looking like a serious contender for my monthly car payments when and if.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by desperado-c
Please share your inside info on the '09 MS3. Usually, the MS versions are 2 years and take your bow while the next model takes the stage. In this case they did release an '08.5, but that was an exception. Up until the RA was announced I was hoping they'd do and '09 AWD MS3, but now RA Sportback is looking like a serious contender for my monthly car payments when and if.
He was just assuming. The concensus on the Mazda forums is the the 08.5 model will be a long model year and will bow out when the redesigned 3 comes out next year. The next speed version of the 3 will be probably be out in a couple of years after that.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 100$ GUY
Its funny to see how those kids at the NASIOC forum all day long praying to "baby jesus" that this info is true, all year long sad and depressed about they all so loved subie is just a quirky rex mobile, saying that oh well....this comparison (the edmunds vrs ralli and ms3) means nothing, its all about the 09 wrx. If someone wants to check out the most kindergarden like forum on the net is the nasioc forum.
Posts like that don't help the maturity level of this forum either. I've spent a lot of time on nasioc over the years and, aside from the numerous idiots you find anywhere on the internet, the core community at nasioc is quite good.

Quick Reply: updated wrx... what does this mean for the ralliart