Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

How to run mid-low 11's....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I'm aiming for too. I think getting kicked off the track for not having a roll cage would be the greatest compliment I could ever receive lol.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Macaroni
I just want to say something that needs to be put out there. The only other person I have known to "care about the little people" that would be considered a big dog is Shep. I will go ahead and apologize if there are others out there that do the same but I have not yet experienced it enough to leave an impression on me like this.

What I'm trying to say is, it really means a lot when someone who is practically considered one of the big boys steps back and takes the time to help out the little guys. Ones who are still stock setup or just bolt ons. I want to thank you again for this thread and for helping us out!

Again I would like to apologize if there are other companies who do the same but I have not mentioned. My first experience with this was John Shepherd and now you. I don't doubt there are many other guys out there or big companies who treat their customers the same or try to reach out and help everyone but these are just the guys I have noticed.
I agree. It's not offten that you get this kind of hlep and feedback.

Thanks again Most-Wanted
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I do appreciate the compliments. I my not have all the answers but I can normally find one pretty quick. If anyone ever has a question shoot me a pm. There is no reason to make mistakes when someone else has already made them...
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the help. Now to practice.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
The trick is to get a solid high rpm launch and perfect the 1-2 shift.
Most-Wanted -

Any tips for hitting the shifts nice and fast? An analysis I did in another thread showed that the 1-2 shift was worth at least 0.1 sec faster 1/4's for every 0.1 sec faster shift, 2-3 maybe 0.05 sec, and 3-4 nuttin', so it seems like a faster 1-2 is very important.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tlcoll1
Most-Wanted -

Any tips for hitting the shifts nice and fast? An analysis I did in another thread showed that the 1-2 shift was worth at least 0.1 sec faster 1/4's for every 0.1 sec faster shift, 2-3 maybe 0.05 sec, and 3-4 nuttin', so it seems like a faster 1-2 is very important.

Thanks,
Tom
The 1-2 is extremely critical. In most scenarios it seems a quick shift around 7500 is best. Not too much for tips. Just having a good clutch that can handle a strong slip and keeping the rpms from falling off...
Old Aug 1, 2009, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I think a good idea for any car/driver is to drive for trap the first couple times so you can see how much the car can trap, then you can access what your shift points should be per gear and see what kinds of et's you should be pulling with your setup.

I think 1/8th mile is very good practice and doesn't put the high load gears in use which is usually where the breaking up and det happens(nearing the end of the 1320ft)
Old Aug 1, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you feel that the stock drive train can handle a good launch with drag radials? I know that wheel hop will cause the break but still. I am launching about 6200 and I find that I am spinning my tires. I am hoping that the DR might help me grip. I have a open front diff. as well. Is that a big hinderance? Thank you for your help.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

the most important mod is the driver. and most of us would probly agree that you(most wanted) are a far better driver then the average driver. and have you ever driven a bone stock evo 8 or 9? (most wanted) id like to see your results! 1.9 to 2.0 60ft time....i think that can be done without launching lol
Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

great great info, when you're talking about coming up to the line and pre-loading the drivetrain, do you use the e-brake to stop from creeping forward? I watched your newer vids and it doesn't seem like you use it at all.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

I was at the track this past weekend and noticed my 60' ft times went down. With the stock wheels I was cutting 1.7 sixtys and with my new axis reverbs (18') I cant get better then a 1.85. Would the bigger wheel result in a slower sixty? Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

I tried to be just like Most-Wanted and failed.

I had the S-techs laying around so I got them on. Lowered the tires to 19spi. Got great 1.63 60' launches set at 6400rpm. Shifted at/around 7200-7300 each gear and still only netted a 12.1 @ 115mph

My shifts are .3 - .4 seconds and I'm being told that they are too slow. I lift each shift and had been pushing the clutch all the way in. Guess I could work on not using so much clutch.

Does anyone just keep the gas floored and just bang in the gears? Not talking about using no-lift-2shift ecu mod either. Just good ole gear slamming knuckle bruising shifts. I want to hit mid 11's but don't want to tear up the tranny to do it.

395whp/401tq

Last edited by meltdown; Aug 5, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
great great info, when you're talking about coming up to the line and pre-loading the drivetrain, do you use the e-brake to stop from creeping forward? I watched your newer vids and it doesn't seem like you use it at all.
No I never use the E brake. I just load the car with clutch and hold it steady when I feel the car starting to move. I now have the Wilwood small brake kit and the e brake needs to be removed for them. I do need a staging brake now though.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meltdown
I tried to be just like Most-Wanted and failed.

I had the S-techs laying around so I got them on. Lowered the tires to 19spi. Got great 1.63 60' launches set at 6400rpm. Shifted at/around 7200-7300 each gear and still only netted a 12.1 @ 115mph

My shifts are .3 - .4 seconds and I'm being told that they are too slow. I lift each shift and had been pushing the clutch all the way in. Guess I could work on not using so much clutch.

Does anyone just keep the gas floored and just bang in the gears? Not talking about using no-lift-2shift ecu mod either. Just good ole gear slamming knuckle bruising shifts. I want to hit mid 11's but don't want to tear up the tranny to do it.

395whp/401tq
Nice 60'. Just keep practicing the shifts. I always lift to shift but just barely release throttle pressure and just tap the clutch.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thank you thank you thank you for the info i had my two step at 5800 and never could get it to launch well. I will be using your formula from now on

Quick Reply: How to run mid-low 11's....