Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great thread, just found this. Thanks for keeping this going with the information. Still no noise?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

San Diego

Im also from SD and wondering which dealership should I bring the Evo for this annoying noise fix?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This bracket is approx $180 from the dealer and if your going to be doing a timing belt job it is very easy to change this bracket. I just picked mine up from the dealer and will be swapping it out later this week. Wont be able to report back about if it cures the noise for a few months as I have a complete build going on. I just took a chance be reading this thread and figured while I'm in there it cant hurt to try this. Worst case, I have a brand new non rusted bracket with the noise still lol.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 08:25 AM

I just picked mine up from the dealer and will be swapping it out later this week.
Could you examine them side by side to see if you can find the difference?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Already did. I did not take a set of calipers to it, but looking at them fairly closely side by side from all angles there did not appear to be much difference. With that being said, we all know that .0001 can be all the difference between success and failure so I'm not going to say there is no difference. Time will tell once I have the car back together.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 01:09 PM

Interesting. Well good luck, I hope it fixes the problem. Keep us up to date.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Recall!recall!recall!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:17 AM

Same noise

I have the same sound in mine. Just got it yesterday. Going tt check it when I get it to the shop and try to isolate it. Ill get back to you with what I find.

My P/s Pully seems to be moving more than it should be. Concerned that it may be that.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:39 AM

My IX MR does that too but only once in a while. Its mainly just at low RPM's or in the first gears when it does decide to make the noise. Just like JT my car runs fine. Whatever it is it goes away when driving anyway. It most likely is common amongst our fellow IX's out there.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had sprayed belt dressing on my previous IX MR. It actually made it louder for awhile but eventually the noise went away and never came back.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:56 PM

I had same noise at 20k, they replaced belt noise went away. Noise came back at approx 35k, now at 54k i decided to take it in with my warranty expiring at 60k. I gave them techline number from below and the are replacing bracket and belt under warranty. I was nervous because i have heard stories about dealers voiding warranty on modded evos but had no problem. Thanks for the techline case number it was a great help.

Originally Posted by fsae_alum
Ok....here is the deal. Just picked up the car. The dealer tech said that ALL Evo 9's have an issue with the timing belt rubbing against the crankshaft position blade wheel. Here are the new parts they installed on mine to remedy the issue:
Part Number MR984375 Adjuster, Timing Belt Tension Qty 1
Part Number MD369999 Pulley, Timing Belt Tension Qty 1
Part Number 1091A133 Bracket Cylinder Block Qty 1 *****Updated New Part from Mitsu that supposedly fixes the noise problem. Original bracket was machined incorrectly by supplier to Mitsu*****
Part Number 1145A038 Belt, Valve Timing Qty 1
Part Number MR984778 Belt, Balancer Timing Qty 1
Mitsubishi Techline Case #140114
Service Description: Removed and replaced Timing Belt Adjuster, Tensioner Pulley, and Bracket as per Techline. Replaced Timing Belt and Balance Belt while Tensioner Bracket was replaced under warranty.

They also replaced the crankshaft sensor blade on the car but left it off the reprinted repair bill they gave me. Oh well. Total cost for me was $159.76 for the Tming Belt and the Balance Belt that I had them put in new as opposed to the old ones.

You can have the tech at your dealer call the techline and look at my techline case number to see all the part numbers for your repair if needed.

I'll let you guys know if I hear the noise anymore over the coming weeks!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:25 PM

I recently developed the idle belt noise on my IX MR (40k) and suspected the timing belt idler was kaput. Took it to a local Portland dealer and they confirmed my suspicion. They swapped it out, along with the idler and I had them swap the serpentine belt and the balance shaft belt since they were in there (I paid for the belts only on those parts). No more noise
Also had them swap driveline fluids and it is way smoother x2
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had the same noise. changing my own timing belt. Had a louder noise.

Sprayed some wd40 on the acc belt and pulleys, crank pulley idle, ect.. Noise went away.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Currently sitting in mitsubishis waiting room. I pulled up this forumn showed them the bracket. They said it wasn't in the cover. I said it was. They pulled the serp belt and the noise was still there. They asked me for "that" part number for the bracket. Looked it up and sure enough they said I was right and the tech verified it. They said the new part "superseded" the old one. In other words it's been updated. There doing the new bracket and water pump as well all under warrenty.

Thanks guys, there ordering the part and il let you know when it's fixed
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Amazing that you guys get warranty work done.

Quick Reply: IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)