Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

would this work?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
would this work?

evo motor/drivetrain

has anyone bought one of these and built it? i mean would it work (after its been built) on an evo 8? ive been talking about doing a build for a while now, and i was just wondering how much of a difference there is in the heads? some of you might say "why not just build your current motor, or buy a USDM one off the forums?" well that might be an option, but for now this seems like a better deal. i mean come on, $3000 for a motor with all the accesories and it comes with a tranny and a t-case.

my attraction to this has nothing to do with the fact that its "JDM". i just want a great deal on a motor tranny and t-case that i can leave in my garage and build up slowly over a course of a few months as money comes in and when its finished i can do a motor swap.

i would have english build the motor
tranny and t-case would go to shep or TRE of course.

and maybe someone can chime in and tell me whether or not the evo4 exhaust manifold can be ported, i know it looks significantly thinner than the evo8 manifold.

Last edited by Davethewave; Jan 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
The motor will work for sure. TC is likely ACD equipped
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

well, even if its acd equiped, do you think a 2005 evo8 ecu and harness will work? i mean the 2005 is the only year with an ACD and non MIVEC head. which would be just like the EVO4 stuff shown here

edit: i just noticed that it comes with an ECU. but my question is, was this an OBD-1 or OBD-2 motor?

Last edited by Davethewave; Jan 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

The price doesn't seem too bad for what it is. But then again, you just spent another $3,000 on all stock parts. You can find stock longblocks on here for $1,500-$1,800 or less, t-cases for 600-800, and trannys for 600-800.

Sure it would probably work. Would it do you much good? Doubt it. They're basically just cheap cores. Plus, the way it's sitting looks like it's putting a lot of awkward pressure on the downpipe and turbo. All the heat shields look thrashed.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

dude, im so not worried about the downpipe or the turbo, that crap would just end up right back on ebay or the forums.

im planning on doing a BBK full and MAP Rev2 manifold, and MAP O2 eliminator downpipe.

lol, look at the back of the t-case, they either couldnt get the driveshaft out, or didnt care, they left part of the driveshaft in the t-case.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
not sure if you noticed but that engine has an anti lag setup as do all jdm evos

you'd have to google whatever year the evo 4 was produced and see if they were obd-i or obd-ii standard at that point
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

alright so as far as i can tell this is an OBD-II motor. as i have never examined the anti-lag system on an evo, i have no idea how i would disconnect it. i know anti-lag can be really damaging to your turbo. is it just a periperal system? like would it just come off as i stripped the motor?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Yea the hardware for the antilag can be removed. Plus im sure you could make it OBD-II compliant. Just be a matter of the proper sensors which most are probably the same anyway, ECU, and engine harness from an VIII
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

im just wondering what engine harness an ecu to use. the block will remain a 2.0, and i dont think i would want to spring for an AEM EMS. i would just have the ECU reflashed and dyno tuned.

i think im going to go with the TTP pistons, im not sure about rods, ive thought about groden but they seem a little, well overkill. i just want a set of strong rods, thats something i dont want to compromise on.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 01:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Davethewave
im just wondering what engine harness an ecu to use. the block will remain a 2.0, and i dont think i would want to spring for an AEM EMS. i would just have the ECU reflashed and dyno tuned.

i think im going to go with the TTP pistons, im not sure about rods, ive thought about groden but they seem a little, well overkill. i just want a set of strong rods, thats something i dont want to compromise on.
Aluminum rods are not overkill. The main benefit is lighter rotating mass which equates into less stress on the crank and bearings and safer high revving.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

looks like it has the ecu and harness so it should work. looks like its an evo 8 engine. 4G63 TH6304 and may be the 04 on the engine code means it was manufactured in 2004.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

well, thats not really obvious until closer inspection. look at the valve cover, its clearly an older engine
Old Jan 7, 2010, 03:52 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Davethewave
well, thats not really obvious until closer inspection. look at the valve cover, its clearly an older engine
It appears to be a lower compression piston older unit.