Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATTN: FP Red & Black Users - What You Need to Know About Oil

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
ATTN: FP Red & Black Users - What You Need to Know About Oil

There have been multiple discussions in this forum about oil, but there is something that FP Red and Black users specifically need to be aware of that does not apply to others.

I received a call from Robert at Forced Performance today, and we chatted about oil and the FP turbos. What makes FP Red and Black different from their brethren is the fact that whereas the other journal bushing turbos used a steel on brass bushing, FP fits the Red and Black turbos with a steel on steel bushing. I was unaware of this. And while it may be a seemingly minor detail, it becomes important when it's time to get an oil change.

When the turbo sees high shaft speeds, that places tremendous pressures on the shaft bushing. Theoretically the steel on steel bearing should support greater loads than the softer brass part, but when two sliding steel-faced surfaces are subjected to that level of pressure, this is where the EP (extreme pressure) additive content of the oil prevents those two hard steel surfaces from scuffing each other to death over the long haul. Therefore, FP Red and Black users should seek something other than oil that carries the latest ILSAC GF-4 classification. This same advice applies to engines with shim and bucket valvetrains (e.g. BMW 'M' engines, 2JZ-GTE, etc.), and/or older OHV domestic V8s that use flat tappet lifters, because all those engines have valvetrains that subject two slidng iron or steel-faced surfaces to high pressure loading.

FP makes specific oil suggestions for their Red and Black turbos here:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

There are wide variations within those recommendations. I personally recommend a non-racing, full-synthetic oil for street cars. This guarantees the highest thermal stability, best cold weather performance, and a detergent package that keeps the internals clean over many, many miles.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting find.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
very good information. I will be switching my oil real soon now. Thanks for the heads up
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Amsoil. forget mobil 1.......

its what i use for my FP turbo...
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
There have been multiple discussions in this forum about oil, but there is something that FP Red and Black users specifically need to be aware of that does not apply to others.

I received a call from Robert at Forced Performance today, and we chatted about oil and the FP turbos. What makes FP Red and Black different from their brethren is the fact that whereas the other journal bushing turbos used a steel on brass bushing, FP fits the Red and Black turbos with a steel on steel bushing. I was unaware of this. And while it may be a seemingly minor detail, it becomes important when it's time to get an oil change.

When the turbo sees high shaft speeds, that places tremendous pressures on the shaft bushing. Theoretically the steel on steel bearing should support greater loads than the softer brass part, but when two sliding steel-faced surfaces are subjected to that level of pressure, this is where the EP (extreme pressure) additive content of the oil prevents those two hard steel surfaces from scuffing each other to death over the long haul. Therefore, FP Red and Black users should seek something other than oil that carries the latest ILSAC GF-4 classification. This same advice applies to engines with shim and bucket valvetrains (e.g. BMW 'M' engines, 2JZ-GTE, etc.), and/or older OHV domestic V8s that use flat tappet lifters, because all those engines have valvetrains that subject two slidng iron or steel-faced surfaces to high pressure loading.

FP makes specific oil suggestions for their Red and Black turbos here:
http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...otor%20Oil.pdf

There are wide variations within those recommendations. I personally recommend a non-racing, full-synthetic oil for street cars. This guarantees the highest thermal stability, best cold weather performance, and a detergent package that keeps the internals clean over many, many miles.
Great info, I was just talking to a tech at fp today(not sur who) about oil recommendations for a green and he said since it does not use steel for both bushings it does not have the same requirements as the red and black as stated above. I was asking if i should switch from royal purple 10w-30 what i currently run, to brad penn 20w-50 when the green is installed and he said it was not needed for the green. I am still curious if i should switch from royal purple, getting off topic sorry...

This is a great thread and something red and black owners need to be aware of, thanks Ted
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
After getting this info, what do you suggest? Do you still stand behind your previous recommendation from the other thread?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is good to know Ted thanks. I should tell everyone I know about this. I know quite a few running the Red / Black. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boosted Tuning
After getting this info, what do you suggest? Do you still stand behind your previous recommendation from the other thread?

I was just going to ask the same question
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:47 PM

I'd like to add something to Ted's post, an easy way to tell which oils DON'T have enough high pressure additives.

Look for the starburst label and you will find a two-letter code like SL or SM. SM is the newest rating, SL the second newest, etc. Few SM oils have appropriate levels of the high pressure additives which performance engines should have.

Some oils with the SM rating do have a good amount of high pressure additives (Mobil 1 15W50 comes to mind - I use it) but most don't.

Matt
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
I know Brian from FP told me to switch out to Brad Penn 20w50 for my Black. Was running Redline (and one fill of Amsoil Racing Dominator) 10w30 for a bit over a year and my Red bit the dust.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Very interesting. Maybe a vendor could start selling cases of the Brad Penn 20w50 racing oil.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:02 PM

good information thanks
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got an email from FP last Friday with this PDF attached. It appears any oil listed in YELLOW should fit the bill fine though am I wrong? I was going to switch to Amsoil 10w40 AMO from Amsoil 10w30 ATM because of the higher zinc content.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
So I'm assuming since you mentioned;
"does not apply to others" &

FP HTA Green is not included with the Black/Red ?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ correct

Quick Reply: ATTN: FP Red & Black Users - What You Need to Know About Oil