Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
High crankcase pressure .........99% of the time it's broken pistons.
I would have thought someone would have figured it out after 96 pages of BS.

Pull out the sparkplugs.

Take a good look at the threads.

The ones wet with oil, they're the ones with the broken piston.

Easy fix.......pull the head, drop the sump, pull the piston and rod.
Replace with a good used one,.......fixed.

It's a pretty much "normal" condition for any turbo engine that's been badly tuned with too much knock.

Seen it lots and lots and lots of times.
Fixed it lots and lots and lots of times.

A compression test nearly always returns normal numbers as does a leakdown test.

A leakdown test should be done with the piston half way down the bore after firing.
That's because after driving (a long time) with broken pistons you get a groove worn in the bore. That's due to the rings no longer able to rotate on the pistons.
There's no groove worn in the bore at the top so it seals OK, there's also no groove at the bottom of the bore so it seals OK....but leaks half way down.

There you go.....think on that for a while?

But I can't have broken it, it's just not possible.
My tuner said so.

Last edited by RightSaid fred; Aug 11, 2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian0611
Thanks for the suggestions! Just about all of those were on my list of things to check so at least it sounds like I'm on the right path, unless you can think of something else. I've already tried messing with the BISS and saw almost no change. The tune still has the stock ISCV values so I don't see that being the issue. I'm going to put a PCV back in the line running to the intake tonight or tomorrow to see if that helps. I also already ordered a check valve for the line going to the turbo inlet and that should be here tomorrow. Hopefully, making one or more of those changes will solve it. I'll report back this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Are you using the factory or aftermarket check valve? Aftermarket valves often have much too high of a flow rate to be correctable by closing down the BISS. If you want to use the IM for PCV and get the benefit of using the PCV passage on the valve cover to reduce crankcase pressure, then the arrangement in my drawing below is needed.

Attached Thumbnails for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues-mod-pcv-20140131.gif  
The following users liked this post:
Ian0611 (Aug 14, 2017)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Mychailo, my car handles a 6an PCV line to the manifold. Took some turning down of the ISCV settings, and the BISS is only about 1/4 or 1/2 turn out, but it idles nicely at 1050-1100 with the GSC S2's.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I think we should all agree to just ignore WrongSaidFred from now on. Broken pistons, lol.
The following users liked this post:
Ian0611 (Aug 11, 2017)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 03:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Mychailo, my car handles a 6an PCV line to the manifold. Took some turning down of the ISCV settings, and the BISS is only about 1/4 or 1/2 turn out, but it idles nicely at 1050-1100 with the GSC S2's.
Yep, I'm sure that a BISS adjust will get the job done with some setups. What check valve are you using? While I didn't mention it in my prior post, the layout that I show allows for maximum benefit of using the PCV port on the VC to provide crankcase pressure relief while allowing idle to function normally.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 03:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
Yep, I'm sure that a BISS adjust will get the job done with some setups. What check valve are you using? While I didn't mention it in my prior post, the layout that I show allows for maximum benefit of using the PCV port on the VC to provide crankcase pressure relief while allowing idle to function normally.
A large one from McMaster Carr. I was running all 10an lines, which proved not controllable. So, I replaced one section with 6an. Fixed.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I think we should all agree to just ignore WrongSaidFred from now on. Broken pistons, lol.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I thought about responding but I decided it wasn't worth mine, or anyone else's time.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
Are you using the factory or aftermarket check valve? Aftermarket valves often have much too high of a flow rate to be correctable by closing down the BISS. If you want to use the IM for PCV and get the benefit of using the PCV passage on the valve cover to reduce crankcase pressure, then the arrangement in my drawing below is needed.

Thanks Mychailo! I'll definitely keep this routing in mind. I already have the BISS turned down most of the way, so I'm thinking it definitely needs the PCV valve put back in along with some other tweaks perhaps. I'm planning on working on it tomorrow so I'll let you know if I manage to get things corrected and what I end up with.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ian0611
I was thinking the exact same thing. I thought about responding but I decided it wasn't worth mine, or anyone else's time.
fuel pressure fred on the ignore list lol
Old Aug 12, 2017, 04:37 PM
Account Disabled

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ed-advice.html

lol
Old Aug 14, 2017, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Well it looks like I got at least half of my problem solved over the weekend. On Saturday, I put a PCV valve in-line with the check running from the catch can to the intake manifold and that solved the high idle problem. I need to put some miles on it now to make sure it's no longer pushing oil past the turbo seals, but I'm hopeful that issue is solved now as well because before it used to smoke a little at idle and it doesn't appear to be doing that anymore.

P.S. I wish I could do cool diagrams like MRFred Lol!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, so I installed -10an lines running off my valve cover to the sealed STM catch can and ran a -10an line back to the intake. I've been driving on this setup for the past week, but I'm still getting oil in the intake. I know this is fresh oil too since I changed to Penngrade 1 when I put all this stuff in and the oil pooling is green.

I'm kind of beyond frustrated with this FP Red at this point. Anything else I should be checking before I pull the turbo and ship it to FP or get so mad I throw it off my parking garage?

for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues-n9gi1gsl.jpg
Old Sep 18, 2017, 02:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Did you run a line back to the intake manifold with a check valve?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Did you run a line back to the intake manifold with a check valve?
Yep, running a -6an line off the can to a check valve and then from that into the intake manifold.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 03:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Only thing really left to do is check crank case pressure, or call FP.

Quick Reply: for anyone that has crankcase pressure issues