Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Free Horsepower by tightening 1 clamp!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just get a better BOV like HKS that won't leak. With mine I get boost all the way up to red-line, not a sudden drop-off like stock!!!!
Old Jul 18, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm I just tried to tighten the BOV/IC clamp that this thread talked about originally and it was already pretty damn tight. The whole hose and BOV unit just started to twist so I didn't try to tighten it more. Maybe RSes are just better built from the factory
Old Jul 19, 2004, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Punisherofall
Thank you very much for your advice!!!

I just tightened the clamps and my car feels much better now, pulls better since the turbo spools up, pulls harder above 5000rpm and my turbo lag decreased when changing gears.

The bolt was very free, I had to tighten 1,5x!

Guys every important information like this should be posted.
Another important information like this? please post!
Old Aug 21, 2004, 01:45 PM

Wow!

I just got finished Removing the Restrictor from the Boost Control Soleniod Hose and tightened all of the Clamps around my BOV and DAMN! My EVO pulls HAAAARD all the way to redline. It feels now like it would pull to 10K rpm without running out of steam.

Since Mitsubishi condones the removal of the restrictor, I tried it.

It was a pain in the *** to get the airbox out due to the way Mitsubishi had most of the clamps turned but other than that, not too bad.

Getting the restrictor out was a bit of a challenge because you have to work it down the hose and the hose is very soft. The hose seems to be easily torn so be Careful!

For those who have tried this and are wanting to put the restrictor back in, IT GOES BACK WITH THE LITTLE END, in FIRST! It is amazing how such a tiny device can change the car.

This is to who found this mod

Gotta go put in my Turbe XS Type H-RFL BOV in.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

My car felt like crap too after 5500. I intalled AEM intake kit. They dont clamp both ends of the BOV in the kit. My intuition told me to buy a clamp and I was rewarded with better power.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Good info in this thread I will deffinately be checking mine
Old Aug 22, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

i'll br checking mine. i just ordered an intake w/upper i/c piping, mbc, and greddy bov. im gonna get the t-clamps if i can find them or something similiar in strength and reliablity. does anyway know of anyother claps that are as reliable as t-clamps.

blob goes bounce
Old Aug 22, 2004, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys long time no post.....
I am the original poster of this thread and am glad to see that this has helped out. Another free mod I did was to my intake snorkel. I simly placed some very thin weather strip on the inside of where the foam now is when the snorkel meets the air box. IMHO the stock snorkel is too loose, this alows for a snug fit. It just gave me peace of mind that I was getting 100% cool air and a tight fit. At any rate, to this day my clamp tightening does not cease to amaze me. I have a panel k&n filter and a light weight battery as well as cusco front ti strut tower bar (these are my only "mods" ). I have beat by several car lengths a neon srt4 with mopar stage 1 (from a roll) . Also a 99 porsche 911 from a light fairly bad. I did however race a 2002 vette thinking this should be fun, it turned out to be a modded z06 and I got spanked.....lmao. I will go to the track this sept- oct when temps are favorable to run quick times, I see no reason why my car can't run a low 13, my roll on with the srt4 (3 times to verify results) tells me my traps should be well above 100 mph.... but this is only speculation until I get timeslips. Until then clamp on and stay safe!!
Punisher
Old Sep 7, 2004, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Did the hose clamp trick yesterday and I believe there is an improvement across the range especially between 3 and 5K rpm. I still have to tighten the joint under the airbox but everything else was easy to get to with a 1/4" drive and deep socket.

On a side note the fan shroud is teh sharp! I was even trying to be careful around it but I managed to cut myself twice. Also be careful with the pin clips for the snorkel, I dropped one into the undertray and it took me almost 10 minutes to get the thing out.