Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

DIY: Red Out Tails (EVO VII STYLE)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badev0
IF you guys are worried about your reverse lights being red, you can swap the turn signal for the reverse light. That way the reverse light is white like it should be, and the turn signal is red.

Turn signal illuminated

Reverse light illuminated
i like something different smart idea
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great! nice alternative to buying 7 tails. nice write up
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Name:  IMG_3117.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  158.2 KB

I liked it for a little bit but got sick of the dull hazy look so I used a Mothers light repair kit and they're back to new
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Account Disabled

those look awesome. lovin the thin red lines on the reverse.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

man i dont know what happened to mine... i sanded with 800-1000-2000- followed by some 3000 grit to prep them and then taped off the lines cleaned them and brought them to my friend whos a professional painter. i bought the krylon stained glass red paint and they came out like this???? it blocks all light like its regular red paint..

Name:  IMAG0470.jpg
Size:  347.3 KB
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh snap!!

Looks like the wrong kind of paint or your 'professional' painter friend used too much!! DAMN!!

Wow....have fun cleaning that up and trying to fix it... So sorry bro....

I keep coming back to this pic...

Last edited by SilverShadow03; Mar 19, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck, but I would absolutely toss them in the trash. As he said....^ that krylon paint is not translucent type. Just buy some depo's and take them somewhere else.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
Sorry for the bad luck, but I would absolutely toss them in the trash. As he said....^ that krylon paint is not translucent type. Just buy some depo's and take them somewhere else.

sorry depo doesnt sell evo 7 tail lights, or the stock chrome evo 8 tails and never have. and yes the krylon stained glass is transparent paint, look at the blue car a couple posts up that is using krylon. why would i toss them in the trash? im going to sand them down and use a different can or maybe testors paint.

my buddy said that when he sprayed the first coat that it started to bubble up on him, anyone else experience this? im gonna do a small test with a new can on some regular glass to see if i possibly got a bad can that leaked or something like that.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

oops double post!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Well I told my buddy (Chadwich) that I'd post up his work. So here are mine, he did an awesome job once again! Hit him up if you want him to do yours!

Before: This is just a film.

After:

Just 2 coats and has lasted through a half dozen car washes already. I'd say it's durable! It would possibly look even better with a wet sand and clear coat but I am by no means worried about it as you can't tell from a foot away.

Thanks again Chad.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^look just like mine but without the lines. i think ima do the lines i been just to lazy need to finish what i started
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TigOLDBiTTies
man i dont know what happened to mine... i sanded with 800-1000-2000- followed by some 3000 grit to prep them and then taped off the lines cleaned them and brought them to my friend whos a professional painter. i bought the krylon stained glass red paint and they came out like this???? it blocks all light like its regular red paint..

Ouch. Either too much paint or didn't really need to sand them down. I did mine with the same Krylon glass paint but never sanded it down. Just masked off the blinkers and sprayed away.

Anyways, just look in the used parts section. Someone is always selling a pair of stock tails. They usually go for around $100. If you don't find any, just post up a WTB ad and someone will eventually answer you.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry depo doesnt sell evo 7 tail lights, or the stock chrome evo 8 tails and never have. and yes the krylon stained glass is transparent paint, look at the blue car a couple posts up that is using krylon. why would i toss them in the trash? im going to sand them down and use a different can or maybe testors paint.

my buddy said that when he sprayed the first coat that it started to bubble up on him, anyone else experience this? im gonna do a small test with a new can on some regular glass to see if i possibly got a bad can that leaked or something like that.
In no way that I'm trying to start an argument here. Nor, said that depo sold evo 7 taillights in my post. But they do sell: chrome evo 8 tails at least from this ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITSUBISHI-L...0daf9b&vxp=mtr

-I said toss them out because had to go through the same thing this past weekend. It wasn't a fun job so bought another pair from a friend. IMO buying a new pair VS sanding a mistake is far less easier going foward in doing a project like this. But GL.

Last edited by Sil'vr-Boi6; Mar 20, 2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Poor grammer corrected, and made worst in my reply
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ouch , i feel ur pain bro... in mho, i would just end up buying a new pair of tails. dont know how diff it it to fix that but prolly not worth it...

i seen ones on ebay that are chrome for 175$ for the pair as cheap replacements
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

I want to do this as well, but I want to do that right. How hard is it to open up the tail lights to get to the chrome housing? If you look at real Evo 7 tails, the chrome is painted red, not the lens cover... like so

Name:  evo7-taillights2.jpg
Size:  20.1 KB

Quick Reply: DIY: Red Out Tails (EVO VII STYLE)