Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

DIY: Red Out Tails (EVO VII STYLE)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres a picture of mine, after 3 different bottles of krylon stained glass (COMPLETE GARBAGE!). i used testors candy apple red and this stuff is great its lighter and way more oem looking. i also mastered the turn signal pin striping and i can do a set in 25 mins lol. i used some cheap spray can clear coat from walmart as i dont have a spray gun. i can do a set of these for anyone, and also just do the pin striping and masking if you wanted to have it painted by a professional. let me know

i just did these about 2 hours ago so they are still drying and not completely translucent yet. 1 with flash one regular light.

after they dry im going to wet sand them and buff them to make them really shine.
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Red Out Tails (EVO VII STYLE)-photo-132-.jpg   DIY: Red Out Tails (EVO VII STYLE)-photo-133-.jpg  

Last edited by TigOLDBiTTies; Jun 10, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by kimletrim
LOL at the newspaper! Why not just remove the taillights from the car?
LOL x2

although im pretty lazy myself so i'd probably do the same. i want to try this painting thing but now that i've seen a few bad turnouts, im a little nervous. I like the tinted film idea because that's what i have on my tails (except it's smokey-grey) but i want it to be red now. when i called the tint shop to ask about peeling it off and removing the glue residue with goo gone or something similar, the guy said i'd ruin it because the goo gone would remove the clear on the headlight?? he said it would make it look foggy. does anyone know if that's true or have any suggestions on how to remove it? thanks!

Name:  PicturesfromUSB743.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  108.7 KB

Last edited by Evilberry; Jun 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

goo gone wont damage them because its made out of orange skins. there is no clear coat on the tail lights at all so no worry about taking anything off. if it does make them cloudy or you want them to be a little more shiny take some 1000 grit sand paper and wet sand them, then use 2000 grit, and then 3000 grit. after you can polish them out with some rubbing compound for a mirror like finish. id also suggest ebay or bluebatmobile.com for the vinyl, just make sure its not cloudy on the pictures.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Just so you guys know, I sanded my tails after a failed painting attempt, polished them, and easily returned them to 95% like-new condition, minus some barely noticeable foggyness.

So don't worry you won't really screw anything up, I can't believe some people are posting here like it's a one shot deal, it isn't. It won't be perfect if you have to return to normal, but honestly, no one will ever know.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

i can honestly say, mine are still the best on the market!

Name:  40cfbec7.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  277.7 KB
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jnut24
i can honestly say, mine are still the best on the market!

ive seen some close ups of your work and the lines on the turn signal were not consistent and varied on thickness. also where the lines that you cut out come to a point they are also uneven and do not match the factory evo 7 tail lights. 3rd the vinyl you use is cloudy compared to oem evo 7 lights, you can clearly see that in your picture.

your vinyl tail lights are far from the best on the market LOL
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

I beg to differ! I have mulitple ppl that car vouche for the quality and no cloudiness. Lines of course they arent match oem 7's that's a given.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FenixTX717
Would be a lot nicer to be able to paint the inside of the lights instead of the out side. Would make for brighter lights obviously.

put them in the oven, at 225* and put it there for about 12 to 15 minutes, its your call but thats about the time range it takes to get the glue melted. then pull them out and pull the lens cover off the , and there ya go. then go get some headlight sealant,......or just clear silicone. i mean silicone is silicone. and seal them up.

or you can just use your old glue and re heat them up and seal them up that way, but then you risk the possibility of them having leaks
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:46 PM

Looks really good man.. Im thinking about doing mine black.. I sick of the crome.. Looks so stupid on the RR Evo's
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadwich
My first shot at it and I think it turned out great

This is the best result yet.

For everyone looking for the Krylon Stained Glass Red paint he used, it's available here:

Amazon Amazon

Also, if you're looking to do the lines in the paint, don't bother cutting little strips out of your 3M blue, use some Chartpak 1/4" tape:

Amazon Amazon

Buy 'em both for under $20, go get it shot with automotive clear, and win.

Last edited by True Blue; Jun 26, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added some more goodness.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chadwich yours came out great just like mine did

here was my old write up of the evo 7 tails!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...verted-7s.html

Last edited by sphinxof2006; Jun 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by True Blue
This is the best result yet.

For everyone looking for the Krylon Stained Glass Red paint he used, it's available here:

http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-Stained.../dp/B000QD9NYA

Also, if you're looking to do the lines in the paint, don't bother cutting little strips out of your 3M blue, use some Chartpak 1/4" tape:

http://www.amazon.com/Chartpak-Graph.../dp/B0017YUG8O

Buy 'em both for under $20, go get it shot with automotive clear, and win.

X2! Chadwich also did mine which I posted pictures a few pages back I believe. So far I think he's done one of the top best jobs on these. Mine have held up for months now with multiple car washes and there's no fading or rubbing off of the tint. Pure awesomeness!

Pictures don't do it justice!

I recommend contacting him if you want them done. Pictures don't do his work justice!

Last edited by FenixTX717; Jul 12, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

man i just started doing this, i only taped one tail light so far and my eyes are killing me trying to get each strip on their straight
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:37 PM

nice job
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:50 PM

for those of you who used VHT's red paint, and did NOT use a clear afterwards, is the finish glossy? The guy's truck with the smoked out tails looked pretty glossy with VHT and no clear, but others didn't look quite as glossy. Ideally, i'd like to spray them red myself and then get an automotive painter to spray some clear. But if the VHT dries glossy already in itself, this could be a reallllly cheap mod lol

Quick Reply: DIY: Red Out Tails (EVO VII STYLE)