Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X - Model Year Differences

Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Evo X - Model Year Differences

Recently there was a thread in Evo X general that began to describe the differences between 2008, 2010-12 Evo X models. Unfortunately, it looks like it was not only closed, but completely removed from the site.

Google caches:
Page 1: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Page 2: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's another example of a mod shutting down this informative topic:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ges-evo-x.html

There are a few threads here and there that describe the differences between 08 and 10, but i don't see anything for 11 or 12 or in one comprehensive spot.

I propose we start an official sticky that lists all changes for each model year, and continues to add information as the years progress. I'm sure we'll keep it much more accurate than random google searchers or trying to piecemeal info from random threads. And the the mods want, they can combine similar threads.

Just a thought
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
between 2011 and 2012 i think the interior panel changed from the faux carbon fiber to piano black.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davey111483
between 2011 and 2012 i think the interior panel changed from the faux carbon fiber to piano black.
Yes it did
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

between 11 and 12 i think the stock muffler on the 2012 was slightly alter to be louder maybe slightly more free flowing in the muffler right ?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denlin68
between 11 and 12 i think the stock muffler on the 2012 was slightly alter to be louder maybe slightly more free flowing in the muffler right ?
I believe so. I haven't had a 2011 to compare it to but the stock exhaust on the 2012 is fairly loud IMO. I have also seen some say they tweaked the tune a little. And have also read posts where some saying the 2012's are down in power compared to the 2011. Also the 2012 should get the updated chain that they started putting in the later production 2011's.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2008- had a horribly rich stock tune. Red taillights, and red LCD screen on the dash. It also had flat grey plastic on the A/C knobs. The diff pins were made with a softer metal than Mitsu should have used and some have had failures. The 2008s also came with aluminum valve covers. Only GSR and MR models available.

2010- Mitsu upgraded the taillights to the Ralliart/black tails on the 2010+ models. Side skirts were changed to prevent the rock chips that occurred on the 08s without the Aero kit. They also changed the LCD screen to color and added chrome to the A/C controls. The Touring model became available for the MR- Full Leather, while the GSR "SE" model was released for it's one year run. The valve cover was changed from the aluminum one to a plastic valve cover. The leather on the steering wheel was changed. The stock tune was vastly improved of the P.O.S. tune from the MY08s.

2011- The timing chain began to be upgraded to the new one, and the diff pin issue was resolved. "FUSE" was introduced. The 2011+ spoiler was slightly altered, and the "high" spoiler was made standard. Since the spoiler was now standard, the SSS package was changed to the SS package and the SL package (sunroof and leather) was introduced to the GSR. One of the tubes on the coolant overflow bottle stopped coming on the car. The exhaust was redesigned to make it a little louder and to make more power. Mitsu got rid of the sensors on the door handles that unlock the car when using the Fast Key. Evos 2011+ with fast key, you have to use the button on the door. Again, the tune was improved.

2012- tune was improved again, although there are some instances where the 2012's aren't making quite the power of previous models, although it is mostly rumors now since the 2012s have not been out as long. The "Piano Black" dash panels from the MRs were made standard on the GSRs. The Aero kit from Mitsu was changed- The side skirts no longer come with the Aero kit unless you order them separately. On the Evos without the SS package(HIDs and projectors), the DRLs were disabled. The door panels were made more "plush".

Last edited by ugakirk; Sep 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
2008- had a horribly rich stock tune. Red taillights, and red LCD screen on the dash. It also had flat grey plastic on the A/C knobs. The diff pins were made with a softer metal than Mitsu should have used and some have had failures. The 2008s also came with aluminum valve covers. Only GSR and MR models available.

2010- Mitsu upgraded the taillights to the Ralliart/black tails on the 2010+ models. Side skirts were changed to prevent the rock chips that occurred on the 08s without the Aero kit. They also changed the LCD screen to color and added chrome to the A/C controls. The Touring model became available for the MR- Full Leather, while the GSR "SE" model was released for it's one year run. The valve cover was changed from the aluminum one to a plastic valve cover. The leather on the steering wheel was changed. The stock tune was vastly improved of the P.O.S. tune from the MY08s.

2011- The timing chain began to be upgraded to the new one, and the diff pin issue was resolved. "FUSE" was introduced. The 2011+ spoiler was slightly altered, and the "high" spoiler was made standard. Since the spoiler was now standard, the SSS package was changed to the SS package and the SL package (sunroof and leather) was introduced to the GSR. One of the tubes on the coolant overflow bottle stopped coming on the car. The exhaust was redesigned to make it a little louder and to make more power. Again, the tune was improved.

2012- tune was improved again, although there are some instances where the 2012's aren't making quite the power of previous models, although it is mostly rumors now since the 2012s have not been out as long. The "Piano Black" dash panels from the MRs were made standard on the GSRs. The Aero kit from Mitsu was changed- The side skirts no longer come with the Aero kit unless you order them separately. The door panels were made more "plush".
can you elaborate on the plush door panels?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:04 PM

2011- The timing chain began to be upgraded to the new one, and the diff pin issue was resolved. "FUSE" was introduced. The 2011+ spoiler was slightly altered, and the "high" spoiler was made standard. Since the spoiler was now standard, the SSS package was changed to the SS package and the SL package (sunroof and leather) was introduced to the GSR. One of the tubes on the coolant overflow bottle stopped coming on the car. The exhaust was redesigned to make it a little louder and to make more power. Again, the tune was improved.

2012- tune was improved again, although there are some instances where the 2012's aren't making quite the power of previous models, although it is mostly rumors now since the 2012s have not been out as long. The "Piano Black" dash panels from the MRs were made standard on the GSRs. The Aero kit from Mitsu was changed- The side skirts no longer come with the Aero kit unless you order them separately. The door panels were made more "plush".
Also, somewhere between 2008 and 2012, Mitsu took out the sensors in the door handles for fast key and now only provide the button.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by surefooted
Also, somewhere between 2008 and 2012, Mitsu took out the sensors in the door handles for fast key and now only provide the button.
Forgot that one.. Thanks. Added to the 2011+ X's.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImEv0
can you elaborate on the plush door panels?
The door panels on the 2008-2011, atleast I think it is up to 2011, Evos without leather are made of a material that I would call rat hair or something like that. Kind of like a cheap, fake suede and the panel is kind of stiff and hard.. gigadee. The 2012s came with a plush or cushioned door panel/insert.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

The door panels on the 2008-2011, atleast I think it is up to 2011, Evos without leather are made of a material that I would call rat hair or something like that. Kind of like a cheap, fake suede and the panel is kind of stiff and hard.. gigadee. The 2012s came with a plush or cushioned door panel/insert.
oh... i know what you're talking about. for some reason, i thought you meant something outside the door was changed.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by surefooted
so u cant unlock your doors by simply placing your hands on the handle? that sucks...

it's a great feature.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ImEv0
so u cant unlock your doors by simply placing your hands on the handle? that sucks...

it's a great feature.
Nope. I didn't even know the Evos had it until my friend with his '08 did it.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:28 PM

There also appears to be a power difference in the 2012 over the previous year’s affecting tuning - see existing thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-variance.html
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

there is no power difference my car baselined at 252 on a mustang dyno same as every other bone stock evo x on this same mustang dyno(over 20 cars). With a tune, exhaust and air filer I am at 300. Same as comparable modded evo x's on this dyno. Until someone can give an acutual difference in parts I will not believe they made the 2012 with less power it makes no sense to do so.

The car is still slow though lol.

Last edited by localtoys73; Jun 21, 2012 at 08:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo X - Model Year Differences