Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alex3dworld
so...what is the point to use the continue 12 volt source?
i know it is causing that the gauge is still on. but why thr instructions ask for it?
The reason for a 12v connection is if you have gauges that save memory of previous runs and that include playback functions. If you dont use it for those gauges when you turn the car off itll possibly reset the gauge and lose your playbacks.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K, quick question. I got a prosport electronic gauge and I know that I will be putting orange to headlights, white to cig, and red to door locks. Now I want to be clear on where to send the wires from the sender. There is red, white, and black. I know that the whit from the sender hooks to the green wire from the gauge harness. Black is obviously a ground so do I just run it anywhere in the engine compartment? And then the red wire from the sender, does it need to go from the sender thru the firewall to where the other red wire (from the gauge harness) hooks into the door lock fuse? Thanx in advance.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Nice work and very clean! I will also install my boost guage this way. I'm still waiting for an uego wideband and install both at the same time! very nice work dude!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

excellent install, but i think it would have been easier and quicker to go through the main wire harness going through the firewall. punch a little hole and put your wire through there then it comes into the car above where the steering wheel goes through the firewall under the dash. uses a lot less wire too lol
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

gonna do this on my x soon, just wondering how did you get the wire from the back of the fender to the front? did you use a metal hanger or something? nice writeup!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
gonna do this on my x soon, just wondering how did you get the wire from the back of the fender to the front? did you use a metal hanger or something? nice writeup!
the metal hanger worked for me
Old Jun 10, 2009, 08:21 PM

instructions are well done
thank you
Old Jun 10, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoeyM3
I used a old TV antenna
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:57 PM

Just got mine done today. Thanks for the info, made the work that much easier.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

very nice write up dude
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the writeup, it worked very well. I found if you run the wire from under the hood into the car, instead of the other way around, you don't need to fish around with a coathanger. It'll just drop into place.

Also, I noticed that our tach/speedo lights don't dim when you turn the headlights on (though the switches and radio do). I had intended to splice in the dimmer, but once I found this out I left it dimmed as that was closer to the intensity of the stock cluster. I may play with the cluster's dimmer to get them as close as possible, but I'll leave that for another day.

If you take the black ring off the front of the guage, the white Defi Racer is about a close to stock-looking as you could possibly get. If only there was a decent pod available, it would look like it was supposed to be there!

Anyway, thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

I wanted to say thank you for this writeup. Install went very smoothly. This was made especially easy for me because it did it at the same time as my hood latch cable install. I had the wheel and inner fender well off. I mounted my Defi gauge using the "binder clip mod" and no pod. The silver back of the gauge matches the silver rings around the stock cluster well.

Thanks Again!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Idk who said this was too much work..but I did it...and to be truthful this is a hell of alot easier...I have big hands...hence big dude..this doesn't require me to contort, suck in and bend.. Excellent write up man!!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:40 PM

nice write up! thanks
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Good stuff!!! It really helped with running the cables for my Infometer Touch sensors!!

Quick Reply: Evo X Boost Gauge Install ,No splicing, No firewall drilling,Pics+Vid= Clean As Hell