Notices

Confirmed: Evo ROM Can Be Flashed to Lancer ECU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would like to point out looking at my rom, there is a drop of 5-6 degrees of timing in my map between 90 and 100 load cells and it happens from 2000-3500 rpm range and the 16 count knocks were at 2300-2600 rpms at 96% load but cant see how this would trigger this kinda of knock count especially since this is how its been for awhile now.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
About the transmission issue ...

How different are the Evo and Lancer auto transmissions? From what I know, the Evo VIII ROMs have some random bits of code for the auto versions overseas, even though they weren't offered here. No reason to reinvent the wheel. Any chance those might control the same things as the Lancer transmission tables?

Last edited by TouringBubble; Apr 26, 2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 03lances
I would like to point out looking at my rom, there is a drop of 5-6 degrees of timing in my map between 90 and 100 load cells and it happens from 2000-3500 rpm range and the 16 count knocks were at 2300-2600 rpms at 96% load but cant see how this would trigger this kinda of knock count especially since this is how its been for awhile now.
Try knocking some timing down just in front of the knock event. Large changes in timing seem to provoke the knock sensor more with the evo not sure if that will apply here .

We can also adjust the knock sensitivity if you can confirm that the knock is just phantom noise. Take a log of the knock sensor voltage and look for spike events at the time of the knock event. If the noise is just ramping up past a threshold we may just be getting false knock.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringBubble

How different are the Evo and Lancer auto transmissions? From what I know, the Evo VIII ROMs have some random bits of code for the auto versions overseas, even though they weren't offered here. No reason to reinvent the wheel. Any chance those might control the same things as the Lancer transmission tables?
I wonder if we can also flash the EVO VII GT-A ROM...
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

the gta uses the same invecs system as the lancer but it is a 5 speed whereas the lancer is 4 speed

also the gta uses a semi manual shift option whereas the lancer does not...

The only work around is to swap in the lancer manual trans or add the whole coding for the f4a42 trans into an evo rom which I may try ...
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Try knocking some timing down just in front of the knock event. Large changes in timing seem to provoke the knock sensor more with the evo not sure if that will apply here .

We can also adjust the knock sensitivity if you can confirm that the knock is just phantom noise. Take a log of the knock sensor voltage and look for spike events at the time of the knock event. If the noise is just ramping up past a threshold we may just be getting false knock.
Ok I will log knock voltage on my next log. just got back again, I smoothed out the timing in that area so most places have a jump of 2 or less. Hard to say yet but almost wanna say no change despite dropping some of those cells by 4-5 degrees.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

OK so stupid question here. I have the 2003 service manual as downloaded by senate where is the ecu pinout in this thing? I've been cruising it for 10 minutes now without luck :/
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure if it helps but here is the jdm gta 7 rom file which Im told is the same as the evo 9 wagon file , anyone wanna do some digging?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
88570008.zip (3.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: txt
88570008-v5.10fix-xml.txt (5.5 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

OK so stupid question here. I have the 2003 service manual as downloaded by senate where is the ecu pinout in this thing? I've been cruising it for 10 minutes now without luck :/
+1 I bought the same manual senate has to download and I never have been able to find the darn thing.

So how much of a spike should I be seeing with the knock voltage?, I have my latest log on the evoscan graph and I cant see any kind of graph spike where my knock counts are spiking. To be honest though maybe I am not the best one to decipher this maybe I could send you this log and you could take a look at it if you dont mind RoadSpike.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

+1 I bought the same manual senate has to download and I never have been able to find the darn thing.

So how much of a spike should I be seeing with the knock voltage?, I have my latest log on the evoscan graph and I cant see any kind of graph spike where my knock counts are spiking. To be honest though maybe I am not the best one to decipher this maybe I could send you this log and you could take a look at it if you dont mind RoadSpike.
Sure thing you got my email already right?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Sure do it has been sent. I have been doing some research on this and I guess we would have to know if the evo and lancer engines share the same frequencies for the knock sensor to be accurate. I looked through the evo rom and the lancer rom. Evo's knock filters are alot bigger and have about twice as many filters. The filters that the lancer does have sure seem to be setup alot differently than the evo's but this is all new to me so idk.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Sure do it has been sent. I have been doing some research on this and I guess we would have to know if the evo and lancer engines share the same frequencies for the knock sensor to be accurate. I looked through the evo rom and the lancer rom. Evo's knock filters are alot bigger and have about twice as many filters. The filters that the lancer does have sure seem to be setup alot differently than the evo's but this is all new to me so idk.
Send it again bro i didn't get a file
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Lol just realized I didnt even attach the file... Twice!!! haha sending now
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TouringBubble

I personally don't believe the issue will be this complex. The computer should have extremely limited control if any to the transmission. Thats why i want a full comparission between the A/T and m/t pins and look for holes or something where they reused a pin for something in the MT for the AT cars.

I get the feeling its as simple as the ISCV variables not kicking in properly and may be even as stupid as a periphery bit that needs to be enabled for it to work. The Evo rom is clearly derrived from the lancer base rom with adjustment tables added to the code.

It seems unlikely they would scrap the whole code to run manual vs auto. I'm betting here that the evo rom contains the code needed to run with an auto tranny but isn't correctly setup.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

when you click on the file names look at the last digits for 13ab i cant tell u the begging cause i just organized them all today

when opened it will say multiport fuel injection (mfi) diagnosis

Last edited by link62; Apr 26, 2010 at 09:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: Evo ROM Can Be Flashed to Lancer ECU