Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RamAir update

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, like I said I'll have to see what I can do Wednsday. I've seen one pic of a cold air squeezed into an auto, I could only really tell because you could see the dipstick. There should be just enough room to fit a 3" pipe or duct if I remove a small unused clip on the fan, but I'm not certain and there's a good chance that the squishy nature of the stock motor mounts will allow the tranny to crush the duct. Unfortunately, I can't afford a battery relocation kit or even the cheap route until I get tires for my new wheels, so we're looking at about a month or so there. That however would most definately give me the room I need.

EDIT: This
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=bending+CAI seems like the route I should go with the duct/piping. How exactly did you seal off the bumper hole so that all the air was going into the pipe? I was planning on going with a ventilation shaft peice that Lowes has, but it's a bit too big. I'm gonna figure out the bends I'll need for the ducting, then start buying pvc or some other solid pipe to make a more permanent version. Later(much later) I might go ahead an buy that smaller battery for ease of space for everything, that or move the battery, but whatever there. I also plan to get one of those mushroom filters, I think Ralliart makes one among many other companies. I read a test somewhere where the mushroom got the most hp gains over any other type of performance filter.

Last edited by Disruptorzero; Mar 2, 2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram Air for Automatics

Ok, I had some free time today, and so I tore into it and finally got this thing installed. It looks like this: example
But with some slightly crushed 3" vent duct rather than 2" aluminum from a honda CAI(the filter is also in the short ram location).
I'll try to get pics up and I'll post some impressions of what it drives like later today. I'll also do the complete step-by step of how I crammed it.
Short version is that I took out the battery and driver side headlight housing, bent that flimsy little peice of metal that's just below the headlight on the battery side, and slid the duct in there. I'm using a 4" to 3" collector at the "intake" of the ram, hose clamped to 3" dryer duct running up to the filter, where it's clamped to a Spectre ram-air connector that holds it firmly to the filter. The battery's in a bit more wacky an angle because I took the plastic tray out and adjusted it's angle, so there'd be room. The old battery tie-down is removed, and a fat bungie holds it to the car for now.

I need to figure a good way to "seal" the intake side of the ram, so that all the air going into that pocket is getting to the filter. After that, I'm gonna cut the remainder of my stepbro's eclipse CAI to fit where the duct was(it's a 2" or 2.5" pipe, he had to replace the top so he has a spare bottom). All said and done it probably won't yeild as high of gains as the manual version, but it's better than nothing. I had to disconnect the battery to do this, due to moving it. I dunno if that'll help or hurt it. Perhaps I should dissconnect it from the filter before I relearn the ECU?

EDIT: I dunno if I can get a camera in time to do pics today, so that may have to wait(but within the week I should have a better version finished anyway). I went ahead and relearned the ECU with the Ram-air on, because it's really hard to take it back off the way it's installed. Everything seems good, after the idle evened out and all I got out on the interstate and I gotta say it was worth the effort. The car pulls harder, especially in the 40 mph+ range, and also the 3500 rpm+ ranges(regardless of speed). I drove a good 15 miles and the gas gauge did not move at all(approx half heavy traffic city driving and half highway), so I think I've got a decent gas mileage improvement there. The biggest improvement for me though is the sound. With just the cheapo Spectre filter on the stock pipe, I was getting kinda a honda-ish sound at high rpms. With the same filter and ram-air, that sound is replaced by the dull hiss of air rushing into the filter, undertoned by a low growl. At low speeds and crusing, the car is practlically silent, which is almost creepy(especially after flooring it to 70 mph). I'm really impressed so far, and I hope to perfect this to the point of using the Eclipse CAI lower pipe and an essentially sealed system to get the most out of the mod. This will end up with fewer bends(one 90 degree and one approx 60 degree), and smoother pipe with no crushed points. My total cost for this so far has been minimal, here's a breakdown of the price:

4" to 3" collector - $6
8' of 3" duct - free from stepbrother whose project failed
Hose clamps - free, I have tons of 'em from building my simblings intakes
Spectre Ram-Air connector - $8
FAT Bungie - $2

Future plans:
Eclipse lower CAI pipe - Free from stepbro who has a spare
Spectre 3" to 2" collector - $5
Something to seal off the intake side of the ram-air pipe - $???

If someone else were to make this, I'd suggest skipping the duct, buying the cheapest CAI that'd fit a '99 eclipse off Ebay, and just going from there, since it'd have almost everything you'd need to go from stock airbox to ram-air inclued(all the piping, which you would need to cut a bit, clamps, rubber connectors, a filter). Then just go to Autozone, pick up a MAF adaptor(if there is no supplied one with the CAI or it doesn't fit), and either buy the Spectre velocity stack(expensive for what it is) or go to Lowes or Home Depot and get an appropriate sized duct collector from their ventilation section. Again, I'm still working on sealing off the intake side, so I'm not sure what to suggest to fill the bumper hole so that all the air is going into the ram-air. I'm thinking of getting a bigger collector, cutting it down for size and squashing it to make it oval shaped, but it may end up to long to make the first bend(which pretty much has to be 90 degrees regarless of which direction you wanna take it). I know I've spent a decent amount more than neccisary to make this work, but I want it to be as close to perfect as I can, so I can post a good how-to for any auto guys wanting to do this. I don't mind spending a little more so it'll work the best it can. Also, I might go ahead and buy that smaller battery, because then I can return everything to stock locations and still have as much if not more room than I currently do with my battery angled as fas as I can, and go back to using the stock tie-down bar.

Last edited by Disruptorzero; Mar 6, 2007 at 03:50 PM.