Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

2008/2009+ Lancer Resale Value

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008/2009+ Lancer Resale Value

I have read a number of places that Lancers are known for their extremely low resale values.

It seems like this may change for the 2008+ models. Those that purchased the FAST Key system, sun and sound, and navigation have pretty much the most advanced options cars are being sold with today. In 4 years I feel like these new models with great tech options should devalue much less than previous generations.

I find it hard to believe that a top of the line 09 GTS would devalue the same percent in 4/5 years as say a 2004 top of the line Lancer would be selling for now.

Does anyone concur?
Old May 5, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

God, I don't want to even think about this already.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Actually resale value has nothing to do with how much high tech stuff you pack inside. I have read an interesting article a while ago that basically stated that in a 4 year and older car too much technology (especially navigation systems becoming outdated) hurts the resale value. The older the car, the more outdated and potentially very expensive to fix all this packed technology is which hurts cars resale value.

Look at cars such as Corolla or Civic, even the last generation Lancers were about even when it became to features but resale value definitely favored Toyota/Honda. Resale value is a combination of things such as perceived quality or if a given car model is popular with fleet sales or were there a lot of incentives/rebates offered throughout the life of a given model.

Read this: http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/i...-resale-value/

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; May 5, 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:32 PM
Account Disabled

i hope i can get at least 17,000 for my GTS around christmas time..thats when i plan to trade my GTS in for a Ralliart. originally paid 21
Old May 5, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79
Actually resale value has nothing to do with how much high tech stuff you pack inside. I have read an interesting article a while ago that basically stated that in a 4 year and older car too much technology (especially navigation systems becoming outdated) hurts the resale value. The older the car, the more outdated and potentially very expensive to fix all this packed technology is which hurts cars resale value.

Look at cars such as Corolla or Civic, even the last generation Lancers were about even when it became to features but resale value definitely favored Toyota/Honda. Resale value is a combination of things such as perceived quality or if a given car model is popular with fleet sales or were there a lot of incentives/rebates offered throughout the life of a given model.

Hmm, I guess I agree with you to some extent. Maybe its not really measurable just yet but I feel like the 08-09 Lancers are grabbing more marketshare and more attention then the regular lancers of the previous generation. The Evos have always had a cult following, but I feel like now the GTS Lancer for example is getting a lot more attention and praise. It may not hold value like a civc, but I would think the car will certainly be more valuable after 4 years percentage wise then any of the previous generations.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LuDa
i hope i can get at least 17,000 for my GTS around christmas time..thats when i plan to trade my GTS in for a Ralliart. originally paid 21
Then I can tell you right now that if you plan on trading in you won't get $17K for it. If I were you I would sell to a private party. Dealer will rip you off.
Old May 6, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will probably get $15k or $16k for a fully loaded GTS. Thats what I was quoted for a GTS CVT electric blue with navi/tech and sun and sound. It only has 4,000 miles on it after 10 months. No dings or scrathes, looks brand new and inside is perfectly clean.
Old May 11, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LuDa
21 for a 2008 GTS? Fully loaded or base?
Old May 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bladed
You will probably get $15k or $16k for a fully loaded GTS. Thats what I was quoted for a GTS CVT electric blue with navi/tech and sun and sound. It only has 4,000 miles on it after 10 months. No dings or scrathes, looks brand new and inside is perfectly clean.
Wow thats at least what $10,000 depreciation?
Old May 19, 2008, 01:14 AM

Seems good enough.. but it's 8K max with those numbers, VS MSRP, which no one should have paid.
But that number looks like a low ball.
Retail for a used with high miles, the lowest with no options I've seen is about 18K.

Last edited by Lncrgts; May 19, 2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old May 26, 2008, 06:30 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blitzkrieg79

Correct, back in 2003 a Lancer would depreciate as much as 40%-45% in 6 short months. My 2003 Lancer is still about the same price I bought it 4 years ago ! meaning Mistus are getting more respect in resale value as people believe in their quality and reliability. My dad's 10 year old '98 Corolla has a better resale value than my 2003 Lancer ...so go figure that one out !

Mitsu's customer service still sucks big time no matter what you say though !
Old May 27, 2008, 07:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Resale value of most cars are crap. Put simply, cars are a ****ty investment. It's all market driven, too. Right now, cars with the highest resale values are the ones perceived as being the most economical. Cars that, a few years ago, had crappy resale value are now gaining in value. Old Geos, VW diesels (03-04 VW diesels are now worth as much, sometimes more, than a brand new gas model!), old hondas/toyotas, etc. SUVs, however, are rapidly losing value, where as they previous depreciated at a more reasonable rate.