Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 06:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
No, I stated with the nannies off, it will be like a Golf R with the nannies off, meaning, open diffs front and rear as both use brakes as pseudo LSD units.

According to that sheet I posted, the Focus RS "to optimise handling and stability, the car's brake-based Torque Vectoring Control is tuned to work in parallel with the torque vectoring AWD system" which probably means it helps torque vector the front in conjunction with the rear drive unit mechanically doing it, which I personally think is pretty awesome, if true. However, the sheet I posted talks about the rear of the car overall, so front is probably just the brake based pseudo LSD.

At least that is the way I understand it with the *very* limited information we currently have.

I'm fine with having a discussion over the system but really not interested in arguing over it.
now I'm confused, first you said it'll be like the Golf R with all nannies off, open diff front and rear.
then in the next paragraph you say its brake biased controlled front and mechanical diff controlled rear. so all nannies off would mean open front and mechanical TV rear. (which is how I understand it)

or are those meant to be separate statements about the Gold R and the RS?

I'm also in discussion mode, not trying to just argue for the sake of arguing if it sounds like that

PS.
Does the new Golf R allow you to fully defeat nannies? I remember watching reviews about the previous gen and they were complaining about the nannies crippling on track performance...
Old Apr 9, 2015, 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,044 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by warmmilk
now I'm confused, first you said it'll be like the Golf R with all nannies off, open diff front and rear.
then in the next paragraph you say its brake biased controlled front and mechanical diff controlled rear. so all nannies off would mean open front and mechanical TV rear. (which is how I understand it)

or are those meant to be separate statements about the Gold R and the RS?

I'm also in discussion mode, not trying to just argue for the sake of arguing if it sounds like that

PS.
Does the new Golf R allow you to fully defeat nannies? I remember watching reviews about the previous gen and they were complaining about the nannies crippling on track performance...
Yes, open diff front and rear, aka no mechanical LSD. You might be confusing torque vectoring and LSD? Also perhaps the way Ford wrote about it is confusing it as well.

On a simplified level, I personally view torque vectoring as using a yaw input (and other inputs) to aid in rotation in a corner. I see LSD as a aid in forward moving traction.

Yes, the MK7 Golf R you can turn nannies fully off, from showroom floor in the USA. The MK6 Golf R you could not from the showroom floor, but the fix was a very easy ecu bit flip away (no need to even flash the ECU). It was the first thing I did on my MK6 Golf R.

Last edited by razorlab; Apr 9, 2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 07:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
Yes, open diff front and rear, aka no mechanical LSD. You might be confusing torque vectoring and LSD? Also perhaps the way Ford wrote about it is confusing it as well.

On a simplified level, I personally view torque vectoring as using a yaw input (and other inputs) to aid in rotation in a corner. I see LSD as a aid in forward moving traction.

Yes, the MK7 Golf R you can turn nannies fully off, from showroom floor in the USA. The MK6 Golf R you could not from the showroom floor, but the fix was a very easy ecu bit flip away (no need to even flash the ECU). It was the first thing I did on my MK6 Golf R.
I disagree in my interpretation of fords material. I understand it is its a brake system for the front, and the rear uses the hydronic diff to send power where it needs to, not using the brakes

lsd's control where the power is sent, typically its a mechanical system so you can't control where the power is being sent intelligently. In the RS case it's and intelligent system with hydrolics and clutches and stuff that can send power where and when it needs.

These guys understand it the same as me
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/her...rks-1683508180
Old Apr 9, 2015, 07:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by warmmilk
lsd's control where the power is sent, typically its a mechanical system so you can't control where the power is being sent intelligently. In the RS case it's and intelligent system with hydrolics and clutches and stuff that can send power where and when it needs.
I think we are saying the same thing again, in different ways. Sounds good to me!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand the effort to avoid using a regular old lsd.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
The Ford info sheet clearly states "To optimize handling and stability, the car’s brake-based Torque Vectoring Control is tuned to work in parallel with the torque vectoring AWD system."

I have not read anywhere that "either" system will be able to be turned off.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:16 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by rongdoer
Cost, weight, packaging... all possibilities. Guessing the first one is a principal driver.

And you can't really adjust power dynamically (which Ford is using to offset the understeer bias of the FWD platform) with LSDs. You just get traction to whatever wheels have it. Which is a good start, but still limits what you can do with the system.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rongdoer
I suspect Quaife will be offering an ATB diff for the Focus RS when it releases
http://quaife.co.uk/quaife-atb-diffe...esta-focus-st/

Last edited by nemsin; Apr 10, 2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
so no news about actual hp and no test drives?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 07:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
The car isn't in production yet.

As far as HP numbers, I think they might be waiting for the RS3 launch before stating them.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

I will be interesting to see how the Focus RS Nurburgring lap times compare with that of the new Civic Type R (assuming the Civic can repeat its staggering 7:50 with a production car).

Some may say that Nurburgring times don't matter, but I think its a great way to see how cars compare in a closed loop/track environment. With awd, more hp, and super sticky pilot sport cup tires, Ford really has no excuse if they get trounced by the Civic.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:01 AM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Typically you can almost buy the car before you get official HP numbers or actual curb weights with fords these days.

Originally Posted by nemsin
I will be interesting to see how the Focus RS Nurburgring lap times compare with that of the new Civic Type R (assuming the Civic can repeat its staggering 7:50 with a production car).

Some may say that Nurburgring times don't matter, but I think its a great way to see how cars compare in a closed loop/track environment. With awd, more hp, and super sticky pilot sport cup tires, Ford really has no excuse if they get trounced by the Civic.
Would not matter much to me at all, almost no one tracks a bone stock car, so what does it really mean (stupid bragging rights).

On the flip, same reason I got my talon and then the EVO. On the street, every day, it hooks up. Little mist or patch of sand on the ground that trips up FWD's and muscle cars, doesn't mean a thing with AWD.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OX
almost no one tracks a bone stock car, so what does it really mean (stupid bragging rights).
Actually, tons of people race stock or lightly modified cars these days. It makes it more about driver skill than the size of your bank account. http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44726

So how a car performs in stock trim is supremely relevant. Nearly any car can be made fast if you dump tons of cash into it.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 04:16 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Actually, tons of people race stock or lightly modified cars these days. It makes it more about driver skill than the size of your bank account. http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44726

So how a car performs in stock trim is supremely relevant. Nearly any car can be made fast if you dump tons of cash into it.
Which one of the classes is for bone stock, NO changes whatsoever??
Old Apr 17, 2015, 04:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by OX
Which one of the classes is for bone stock, NO changes whatsoever??

hhaha. Match point.

Quick Reply: Focus RS