Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
I bought and installed a brake controller already. I didn't try to fit it in that hole, which I would have. I mounted it under the steering wheel area.

The mirrors aren't bad but the truck comes with a towing package, I guess to Toyota that means a hitch and trailer wiring. Most other new trucks now come with extendable mirrors and a built in brake controller, both of which would be nice.
I am pretty sure the towing package means :
- oil cooler for a trans + temp gauges in the cluster.
- that towing button witch changes the map slightly in both the engine and the transmission
-the heavy duty hitch
- pre wired for trailer brake controllers
and i am not sure but i think the rear diff is also has some differences.

top of that we get a rock warrior which is comes with an off road package, but no luxury items.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I am pretty sure the towing package means :
- oil cooler for a trans + temp gauges in the cluster.
- that towing button witch changes the map slightly in both the engine and the transmission
-the heavy duty hitch
- pre wired for trailer brake controllers
and i am not sure but i think the rear diff is also has some differences.

top of that we get a rock warrior which is comes with an off road package, but no luxury items.
Yes, I understand what it comes with I am complaining that their "towing" package sucks compared to other manufacturers. The truck needs better mirrors and should have a built in brake controller.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
posting for future reference.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Just thought I'd update this.

I got the Toyota Tundra a few weeks ago. I really like the truck. It's the TRD Rock Warrior, super quiet, great ride. Stereo kind of sucks, no extendable mirrors for towing and no brake controller built in, all three of those are my only complaints.

As stated, I think most guys are full of **** on their fuel mileage claims. My 2010 Ford F250 turbo diesel I just sold was the best mileage I've ever seen out of any truck I've owned, 16.4 mpg over a full tank of fuel was the best I ever got and was happy with that.

This weekend I drove to Maine and back to pick up my new car trailer. On the way there, all highway driving, 74 mph on RT90 across the top of New York, Vermont and New Hampshire I got 16.87 mpg, that is now the best mileage I've ever gotten from any truck I have owned and I've owned a lot of them.
Dodge with the cummins does get better mileage than the powerchoke, you also pull an enclosed trailer(parachute), not to mention you're towing through VT, NH, and NY.
Those states are all mountainous. I proboably get about 15mpg going through PA, but going down the NJ turnpike towing an evo with an open car trailer doing 68mph, 17mpg is not that hard. Unloaded with no trailer my dodge will get approximately 620 miles out of a tank, put in 31 or 32 gallons and what are you left with 20mpg. I don't know if I was included in your statement above, but , depending on a couple of variables I've seen guys beat me by 2 or 3 miles per gallon. Anyway good luck with the new truck. I do like the toyotas
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Yes, I understand what it comes with I am complaining that their "towing" package sucks compared to other manufacturers. The truck needs better mirrors and should have a built in brake controller.
Agreed
Old May 21, 2012, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figured I'd throw out an update. After a pair of 1000 mile roundtrip drives to Buschur Racing earlier this year, I towed the car down to Road Atlanta in March. This was 11 hours each way I think. As usual, the truck did just fine on the way there. I nearly always pull it in 4th and it got the usual 11-12mpg that I get with the Evo on my open trailor.

I parked next to a guy with a new Ford V6 EcoBoost. He let me take it down the road for a testdrive so I agreed and it was nice. Ford/Chevy definitely turn easier than my Titan - the wheel is just lighter. The EcoBoost wasn't overly quick, but it just pulled solidly up to 70mph where I let off. It sounded different than a normal gas V8 - being a blown V6. It had the huge mirrors and whatnot that extend.
The owner had an old 90's Mustang - completely stripped on an open trailer, so pretty light. He claimed he got around 14mpg just clicking the tow button and leaving it in 5th.

So on the way home, I ran my Titan in 5th a lot of the way. It helped that we were doing > 75mph most of the way too. It handled the 5% grades or whatever just fine in 3rd gear (my Dad driving that leg) as well as the downhill stuff - with dual electric brakes on the trailor. I cleared 13mpg for the first time ever - 13.3mpg I think.

Since then, I've been using 5th when pulling at 75mph or more. Mostly out of state since IL is 65mph speed limit, but IN/OH etc are 70. And it's been giving me 12-13mpg.

In a related story, I have an opportunity to switch from my 2010 Titan to a friends 2011 Chevy Silverado. It's only a 2WD though but rated 15/21mpg. It's also got the 3.08 gearset which I'm thinking won't be good for towing.
  • 2011 Chevy - 5.3L with 6sp automatic which is rated 315hp/335tq - 3.08 gears.
  • 2010 Titan - 5.6L with 5sp automatic - 317hp/385tq.

Pics from the trip to Road Atlanta:
Name:  Road_ATL047.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  43.1 KB
Name:  Road_ATL052.jpg
Size:  42.0 KB
Name:  Road_ATL055.jpg
Size:  23.8 KB
Old May 21, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

I tow with a 2005 Dodge 2500 quadcab 2WD Cummins Turbo Diesel. Current trailer is a 24Ft. enclosed with a slight v-nose.

Previous tow rigs were a 2006 4-dr Titan and 2006 Escalade ESV. Towed with a traditional 18ft open trailer on those.

I'll never go back to a gasser again. Though, as my family expands. I have considered the Sequoia with a TRD supercharger. Not a cheap rig though

P.S. Really wish my dodge had a 6th gear.
Old May 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
F

I parked next to a guy with a new Ford V6 EcoBoost. He let me take it down the road for a testdrive so I agreed and it was nice. Ford/Chevy definitely turn easier than my Titan - the wheel is just lighter.
The titan def has a heavy steering feel. Its' very communicative. But it just makes the truck feel larger than it is and is really quite cumbersome at slow speeds. I never liked it personally.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Anybody with a 3/4 Duramax?
Old May 21, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I love the Duramax! best pulling truck i have had....pulls the enclosed with the evo inside like nothing is behind me
Old May 21, 2012, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Heres my Daily Driver and Tow Rig!!!
2005 Chevy 3500 6.6 Duramax
5in Exhaust, Intake, EFI live 100hp tune and riding on 22.5 Alcoa Semi Rims 255/70 low pro 18ply All terrain Tires!

Name:  051.jpg
Size:  75.7 KB
Old May 21, 2012, 10:44 AM

I see a lot of people have some really nice trucks and trailer equipment. Is anyone on a budget and have like a ford explorer and an open trailer? Or something along the lines of nothing over like 4-5k
Old May 21, 2012, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SilliG
I see a lot of people have some really nice trucks and trailer equipment. Is anyone on a budget and have like a ford explorer and an open trailer? Or something along the lines of nothing over like 4-5k
get ready to be flamed... For some reason many people think you need a 3/4 ton truck to pull 5000lbs.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
get ready to be flamed... For some reason many people think you need a 3/4 ton truck to pull 5000lbs.
Lol I appreciate the warning. This can't be true I have seen minivans and regular SUV's towing vehicles. Not everyone lives in an area where driving a 3/4 ton truck is smart for DD.

Am I crazy for even thinking about picking up a cheap used small tow vehicle for a third vehicle just to tow the evo to race events and pick up misc heavy things from time to time around for the house.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
You don't need a 3/4 ton. But, there is a huge safety factor to consider when towing. What's your life worth? Stiffer suspension, better brakes, and a heavy tow vehicle all add safety when towing. It also depends where you live. If you live in a relatively flat state you can get away with a ford ranger towing an evo. You live in Colorado or Pennsylvania and you may be asking too much of the tow vehicle. I lost my brakes once on I 70 going through the rockies and swore I'd never be in that situation again. We can't all afford a new $50k truck, but you're better buying too much truck than too little.

Quick Reply: Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?