Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisw
A supercharged engine, much like your turbo-charged engine will be more efficient when under load than a NA engine. That's why I went with a TURBOCHARGED diesel and get the 17mpg while towing.

but if you don't want to listen to one of the most respected tuners that I am aware of, that is your choice.

So you are telling me supercharging a chevy silverado will net me better fuel economy for pulling a car on a flatbed at 70mph?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
i'm pulling about 5000lbs, power is not the issue. Adding a supercharger to a perfectly running truck for what? Bragging rights? i just don’t see the point behind it. if you do, then awesome!

I want a truck that gets the best mileage for the use I want. if you're behind me and have to pass me because I'm doing 60mph, I'm sorry for the wasted 30 seconds of your life.

There is a reason I see many people argue with Dave. The way he words stuff isn’t in the friendliest way...
I have a setup similar to Nate's, Titan crew cab, open trailer, but my trailer is all steel full diamond plate bed. The Titan pulls this trailer/Evo combo well, holds 70 in the interstate without much downshifting at all. I also get 11-12 MPG doing so.

If you really want MPG, get a turbodiesel. I have a lot of farmers that work for me, towing stuff is a daily thing for them. The Cummins-Dodge's are going to get noticably better mileage pulling than something like the Titan and pull an open trailer like a feather. Most of the Ford guys in the shop still hold onto their old 7.3 powerstrokes and are not fans of the newer Ford diesels.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard from several now about the early 2000 dodge cummins getting high teen's pulling an open car trailer. I've found a few of them but have 300k+ miles on them. are these ok at that many miles?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get 20+ MPG towing the Evo with passengers, luggage and a steel open bed trailer. My toe rig is a Touareg (sounds like Toe-Rig) with a chipped v10 twin turbo diesel making for a great double duty vehicle. The engine,trans and brakes are awesome until you require maintenance.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you're towing for living, a couple of mpg (+/-) shouldn't make that much of a difference. On average, a 2 day track event costs $1000/$1500; $20 extra in gas isn't going kill me.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
i'm pulling about 5000lbs, power is not the issue. Adding a supercharger to a perfectly running truck for what? Bragging rights? i just don’t see the point behind it. if you do, then awesome!

I want a truck that gets the best mileage for the use I want. if you're behind me and have to pass me because I'm doing 60mph, I'm sorry for the wasted 30 seconds of your life.

There is a reason I see many people argue with Dave. The way he words stuff isn’t in the friendliest way...
Uh, I believe if you look back on this thread I have given some lengthy responses with a lot of information. I'd say I more than well versed in doing any "real" towing. As in across country for YEARS racing, pulling 20,000+ pounds, 13.6' tall on the trailer and 44' long. I've used half ton small block suburbans up to modified Duramax diesels and even had a brand new DT466 4700 LP International, not to mention the Ford F650 with the 3126 Cat engine in it. I was trying to be helpful, then you wanted to give me the thumbs down and be a bit of a jerk, so if you see why people argue with me because of my attitude you can add yourself to the list of guys who started the issue. Don't listen to someone with experience, it's normal for the internet, you fit right in.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
To everyone but the OP:

I must be doing something wrong with my fuel mileage. I've seen as low as 6 mpg with my 6.0L, Chevrolet 2500HD and that was pulling just a 28' enclosed trailer with an EVO in it. That truck/engine is terrible in my opinion. The time it spends at 5,000+rpm is simply sickening. I use to wait for a rod to come flying out of it. I HATED HATED HATED towing with that truck, it simply would NOT maintain 70 mph on any type of decent incline.

The DT466 in the Internation LP roll back I had ran OK but they limit that engine to like 72 mph, not enough for most interstates and should have run much better considering the truck/weight on the bed. This was around 10 mpg.

The F650 I had had the 3126 Cat motor in it, horrible sickening lack of power, wouldn't hold 70 mph on an incline with the same 28' trailer I pulled with the 6 liter. Terrible mileage, if I remember right, under 10 mpg.

Duramax in my Chevrolet 3500 with just an air filter and programmer on the lowest setting would pull anything. Incredible power. We pulled OVER 20,000 pounds with it all across the country, I never found a hill the truck wouldn't maintain speed on, the wind drag was huge too as the trailer was 13'6" tall. Engine blew up at 83,000 miles, hurray. It would run just about 9-10 mpg even pulling that HUGE load.

The Ford F250 diesel I just traded in, excellent when it came to pulling, stock it was good, with a chip in it, no cat/DPF and on tow mode it would barely drop a gear and would maintain speed on any hill I have found. I pulled a 36' 5th wheel trailer with that, living quarters in front and EVO or the Eclipse in the back, I'd guess 11,000 pounds or so. It is also a few feet taller than the truck, so wind drag comes into effect with that too. Pulling the 36' trailer I've seen as low as 7 mpg and never have seen over 11 mpg.

Towing a simple open trailer cuts the wind drag down drastically. It also means you have a trailer that probably isn't over 3500 pounds (and that would be a bit heavy typically) add an EVO on it and you are 6500 pounds about. I just found a company that offers a 27' all aluminum enclosed trailer that weighs 2600 pounds, that with my EVO is going to mean I only have to pull about 6,000 pounds max with this Toyota. I still HATE a truck that is constantly running high RPM and down shifting non-stop to pull a load, that is one big benefit of the diesel. Getting the load you are pulling out of the wind is one of the biggest things you can do for fuel mileage. The new aluminum trailer has a 52" V nose on it, so it's drastic and will cut the wind pretty good. I still don't expect to see 10 mpg towing with this Tundra, if it gets better than that I'll be shocked.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry dave. please forgive me.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Link to the alum trailer Dave? Post pics when ya can of the RW
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
super charged tundra as far as i know drops 2-3 mpg avarge for dd. for towing probably less then a N/A. either way you will loose some mpg. Of course whn you going without anybody a front of you.
Power is everything in towing, less harder on transmission and engine example hills etc.

basically you loose couple dollars / tank. It is well worth it , vs the n/a tundra.

also worth to mention the the much safer passing , and easyer life when you have more power in traffic. So you can get away from big rigs and idiots with they hybrid cars. I hate hybrid drivers, they think it is they task to save the world and trees, so they even try to safe more fuel with driving even slower.

If you want to save the trees, eat beavers.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 12, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Link to the alum trailer Dave? Post pics when ya can of the RW

Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry dave. please forgive me.
i am sure he will. its a comunity, we might have differences but if you come back nice its forgiven i am sure.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

I would never put a stupidcharger on a perfectly running truck unless it really needed it. any new half ton truck can pull a car on a flatbed trailer without adding more power.

if you guys want to mod up your trucks, thats fine with me, But i'd prefer stock.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
To everyone but the OP:

I must be doing something wrong with my fuel mileage. I've seen as low as 6 mpg with my 6.0L, Chevrolet 2500HD and that was pulling just a 28' enclosed trailer with an EVO in it. That truck/engine is terrible in my opinion. The time it spends at 5,000+rpm is simply sickening. I use to wait for a rod to come flying out of it. I HATED HATED HATED towing with that truck, it simply would NOT maintain 70 mph on any type of decent incline.

The DT466 in the Internation LP roll back I had ran OK but they limit that engine to like 72 mph, not enough for most interstates and should have run much better considering the truck/weight on the bed. This was around 10 mpg.

The F650 I had had the 3126 Cat motor in it, horrible sickening lack of power, wouldn't hold 70 mph on an incline with the same 28' trailer I pulled with the 6 liter. Terrible mileage, if I remember right, under 10 mpg.

Duramax in my Chevrolet 3500 with just an air filter and programmer on the lowest setting would pull anything. Incredible power. We pulled OVER 20,000 pounds with it all across the country, I never found a hill the truck wouldn't maintain speed on, the wind drag was huge too as the trailer was 13'6" tall. Engine blew up at 83,000 miles, hurray. It would run just about 9-10 mpg even pulling that HUGE load.

The Ford F250 diesel I just traded in, excellent when it came to pulling, stock it was good, with a chip in it, no cat/DPF and on tow mode it would barely drop a gear and would maintain speed on any hill I have found. I pulled a 36' 5th wheel trailer with that, living quarters in front and EVO or the Eclipse in the back, I'd guess 11,000 pounds or so. It is also a few feet taller than the truck, so wind drag comes into effect with that too. Pulling the 36' trailer I've seen as low as 7 mpg and never have seen over 11 mpg.

Towing a simple open trailer cuts the wind drag down drastically. It also means you have a trailer that probably isn't over 3500 pounds (and that would be a bit heavy typically) add an EVO on it and you are 6500 pounds about. I just found a company that offers a 27' all aluminum enclosed trailer that weighs 2600 pounds, that with my EVO is going to mean I only have to pull about 6,000 pounds max with this Toyota. I still HATE a truck that is constantly running high RPM and down shifting non-stop to pull a load, that is one big benefit of the diesel. Getting the load you are pulling out of the wind is one of the biggest things you can do for fuel mileage. The new aluminum trailer has a 52" V nose on it, so it's drastic and will cut the wind pretty good. I still don't expect to see 10 mpg towing with this Tundra, if it gets better than that I'll be shocked.
my experince with a bone stock tundra is, i do tow asround 6500-7000lb .
there is literally no sweat. my buddy towed back us from tenesee. I woke up middle of the night and this idiot towing with 90+mph... god knows how long. Then i had to explain to him the speed and rotation vs the trailer tires... LOL

So what i am saying is the tundra wont sweat even in stock trim with low drag and 7000lb and below towing. We also had full equipments , tents (big one) tools tires - gas etc on the truck + 4 person... around 70mph where is flat or not tooo steep incline the trucks tows this around 2k rpm.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

I would never put a stupidcharger on a perfectly running truck unless it really needed it. any new half ton truck can pull a car on a flatbed trailer without adding more power.

if you guys want to mod up your trucks, thats fine with me, But i'd prefer stock.
you dont get this part, you go in the toyota dealer and you order your Tundra with a TRD super charger, then you will pick up a factory supercharged Tundra with all the stuff what the N/A tundra gets... You get that part?
Basically think this way

Base mercedes vs AMG supercharged.
Base Tundra vs TRD supercharged.
I hope that will help you to see clearer.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 12, 2012 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?