Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Supercharging your tow rig??? that seems very....

Will it help with anything? better mpg? or is it just another thing to brag about?
When more power was a bad thing, specially in the racing section?

Will do less mpg, but the benfits should be very obvious specialy here in this forum
Makes over 500hp and tq with factory warranty.
Reason i do not have it cost around 6grand out of the door. Other wise i would already installed it. Why would be a breging to have it? Are you braging with your evo?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
When more power was a bad thing, specially in the racing section?

Will do less mpg, but the benfits should be very obvious specialy here in this forum
This is a towing thread. why would you want to make your car hauler have worse fuel economy? Seems like a step in the wrong direction.

If i want power, I'll unload my car off the trailer....
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Supercharging your tow rig??? that seems very....

Will it help with anything? better mpg? or is it just another thing to brag about?
YOUR opinion of what I am going to do with MY truck, that seems very.......
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More power = less downshifting, so it can even out and extend the life of your transmission.

Ever needed to pass someone on a two lane road that's going 10 under the speed limit while towing? Without some extra oomph in your truck, you could get stuck back there for a while.

Dave
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
YOUR opinion of what I am going to do with MY truck, that seems very.......
and I thought you were a function over form kinda guy. Unless you plan to use that truck as something more than a tow rig, it all seems pointless.

Originally Posted by DaveK
More power = less downshifting, so it can even out and extend the life of your transmission.

Ever needed to pass someone on a two lane road that's going 10 under the speed limit while towing? Without some extra oomph in your truck, you could get stuck back there for a while.

Dave
Sorry but I would surely take 3-4mpg better and deal with that situation the one or two times it happens. I'd also rather ride the hills to keep my trans from shifting down all the time.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

You obviously don't tow in the mountains or on hilly terrain very often. The point is that a N/A truck would need to be at higher throttle position to maintain the same speed as the blown/turbo truck and even on small hills, the FI truck could probably stay in one gear where the NA truck would be downshifting. Sure you can "hypermile" your truck in an attempt to up the fuel economy, but most times I think folks want to just set the cruise control on longer drives. I know I'm usually running late for things, so the option of being a rolling road block to others isn't really an option afterall. In Colorado there's a law that if you have more than 5 cars behind you, you have to pull over and stop blocking traffic.

People are trying to help you out here with their experiences...no need to be a dick.

Dave
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

and I thought you were a function over form kinda guy. Unless you plan to use that truck as something more than a tow rig, it all seems pointless.

Sorry but I would surely take 3-4mpg better and deal with that situation the one or two times it happens. I'd also rather ride the hills to keep my trans from shifting down all the time.
What do you tow with now? How much weight do you pull? I'm guessing from your attitude on tow vehicles you tow nothing or it's a little camper. Why do you think semi's have 2,000 ft lbs of torque? To tow with. You can't tow heavy loads without a lot of HP/Torque. Being in an under powered tow vehicle is like explaining why you need more power to tow, both miserable.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I just realized you are the STARTER of this thread! haha. Dude, listen and read what I am saying here, you will learn more than giving me a ****ing thumbs down for adding a supercharger to a truck I am going to tow with.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

I don’t live in the mountains. I'd be willing to bet a N/A truck at twice the RPM will probably still get better fuel economy than a supercharged truck at half rpm's but under boost.

That’s another thread that could be started, but not here.

I tend not to run late for events. I like having extra time. I also would prefer not to use cruise control to decrease the trans from shifting often.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Oh boy...........your assumptions are INCORRECT.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Oh boy...........your assumptions are INCORRECT.
well, lets hear it mr buschur? better mileage with the supercharger? enough to offset the $7k cost of a supercharger?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

I obviously can't help you. I'd say go with the honda fit you mentioned in your first post, should get great mileage, that's your main concern. What I'd suggest is driving the car to the track, I sure as hell don't ever want to get stuck behind you and your car gets better mileage than any tow vehicle. Is buying a trailer and truck to tow your car going to offset the cost of driving it? NO. Is your tow vehicle going to save you fuel money over driving your car? NO. Are you EVER going to save enough by towing it to justify towing it? NO. You sound like you are staying local, Triple A is cheap, get that and if it breaks have it towed home.

You make no sense asking me if supercharging is going to offset fuel costs and you are hear asking about buying a tow vehicle and trailer to tow a car that probably doesn't need to be towed in the first place. You don't understand what we are all talking about power to pull, all you are concerned with is fuel mileage? Dude, you are sadly lost and not listening to anyone or even common sense if all you are worried about is fuel cost.

Cheapest fuel cost for towing is to not tow. Nothing gets good mileage towing.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Man, people really like to argue with Dave! Lol

I'd buy a supercharger and put it on a Prius!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

i'm pulling about 5000lbs, power is not the issue. Adding a supercharger to a perfectly running truck for what? Bragging rights? i just don’t see the point behind it. if you do, then awesome!

I want a truck that gets the best mileage for the use I want. if you're behind me and have to pass me because I'm doing 60mph, I'm sorry for the wasted 30 seconds of your life.

There is a reason I see many people argue with Dave. The way he words stuff isn’t in the friendliest way...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

i'm pulling about 5000lbs, power is not the issue. Adding a supercharger to a perfectly running truck for what? Bragging rights? i just don’t see the point behind it. if you do, then awesome!

I want a truck that gets the best mileage for the use I want. if you're behind me and have to pass me because I'm doing 60mph, I'm sorry for the wasted 30 seconds of your life.

There is a reason I see many people argue with Dave. The way he words stuff isn’t in the friendliest way...
A supercharged engine, much like your turbo-charged engine will be more efficient when under load than a NA engine. That's why I went with a TURBOCHARGED diesel and get the 17mpg while towing.

but if you don't want to listen to one of the most respected tuners that I am aware of, that is your choice.

Quick Reply: Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?