Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crew cab gmc 1500. Lacks just a touch when dealing with lots of hills/mountains... but i've probably hauled 10k miles with the car on the homebuilt alum gooseneck trailer.. great for really hauling anything. I've hauled airplane fairings, moved with it, toolboxes, air hockey table..

with the ball in the bed, you don't get anywhere near the herk and jerk of a bumper-pull.

no sway either.

somewhere between 10-12 mpg at 70-75 mph...

up to about 14 if you slow it down to 62.
Attached Thumbnails Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?-dsc_3801.jpg  
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
something like this sounds perfect. How much does a truck like you have go for?

is that a real 17mpg while towing? at what speed?

I cant justify paying more than $10k for a truck I'll use 5 times a year.
Yes, 17 mpg average on some what level terrain. I averaged maybe 60mph after finding out that my trailer tires are only rated for 70mph tops.

Hauling *** at 75 will yield 14-16mpg in the right conditions but that's hard on the transmission. These trucks are hard to find, it took me two years to find this one. It is a Quad cab with a short bed, it will fit inside most parking spaces .

If you buy one of these, I would recommend getting the 6 speed manual, the 5 speed manual is a little weak for the torque the cummins can produce. But, be prepared for maintenance, these trucks are getting a little old now. I bought mine for $13k and in the past two years, I have had to repair the transmission, replace the fuel pump, starter, batteries, (and all the engine sensors just for kicks). Expensive, but the truck runs perfect.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Well damn it...........my F250 tows nice but Ford has let me down. The trans has given me trouble since the day I bought it new. Dealer can't figure it out and told me to drive it until it breaks and call road side assistance. Yeah, great idea, $40,000+ truck. Smokes like a freight train from time to time too and loses power. I jumped in it two days ago after it sat about a month and didn't know if it was going to make it out of the parking lot the trans was slipping so bad. I'm done with it.

I want a flex fuel truck to use the ethanol I make in it. I'm trading it in on a Toyota Tundra tomorrow. I'll have to downsize my enclosed trailer, no way it's going to pull it but I don't need the large trailer I have anyway. I test drove it and was overly impressed with it. 80% US content and built in Texas. Did you guys know the top two US content vehicles sold in the US are a Toyota and a Honda? That is just sad on US manufacturers part. NO domestic truck is in top ten for US content, sad, sad, sad.

Anyone want a super nice 36', 5th wheel Haulmark with a living quarters, shower and bunk beds in it?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I run a 07 Tundra with the 5.7 motor and tow package. It pulls my 18ft open trailer and Evo no sweat. I average about 12 mpg towing @75mph.

I think the worst tow vehicle has to be my dads Hummer H2 @ one point pulling a miata up some hilly country I was seeing like 4-5 MPG lol.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

I have an 18' Featherlite open trailer, I'm sure the Tundra will pull that with ease. I need an enclosed trailer though. I'm probably going to be an aerodynamic aluminum enclosed this time, just large enough for the car and tool box, keep it small so it will actually pull good.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got a picture of my new tow rig. I love it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
Well damn it...........my F250 tows nice but Ford has let me down. The trans has given me trouble since the day I bought it new. Dealer can't figure it out and told me to drive it until it breaks and call road side assistance. Yeah, great idea, $40,000+ truck. Smokes like a freight train from time to time too and loses power. I jumped in it two days ago after it sat about a month and didn't know if it was going to make it out of the parking lot the trans was slipping so bad. I'm done with it.

I want a flex fuel truck to use the ethanol I make in it. I'm trading it in on a Toyota Tundra tomorrow. I'll have to downsize my enclosed trailer, no way it's going to pull it but I don't need the large trailer I have anyway. I test drove it and was overly impressed with it. 80% US content and built in Texas. Did you guys know the top two US content vehicles sold in the US are a Toyota and a Honda? That is just sad on US manufacturers part. NO domestic truck is in top ten for US content, sad, sad, sad.

Anyone want a super nice 36', 5th wheel Haulmark with a living quarters, shower and bunk beds in it?

just an opinion. Make sure you will get in the 5.7L V8 Iforce with a 6speed trans, and the towing package.
Also before you down grade , try to pull it. RKTmotors towed the 2 car trailer (two evo on it) also there is other guy at the rally with a two car trailer. And they both said there is no problem at all to tow that trailer. So you might dont need a downgrade.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 10, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

I picked up the truck tonight. Very happy with the power level, ride and how absolutely quiet the truck is. I got the TRD Rock Warrior Package. 5.7 and 6 speed. I have to read the manual to set up some of the cool features tomorrow.

I can't tow my big trailer with this, the bed isn't big enough (6.5') to accept the 5th wheel for the trailer, I don't think I could turn a corner.

I'm going to buy an all aluminum enclosed this time.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

I picked up the truck tonight. Very happy with the power level, ride and how absolutely quiet the truck is. I got the TRD Rock Warrior Package. 5.7 and 6 speed. I have to read the manual to set up some of the cool features tomorrow.

I can't tow my big trailer with this, the bed isn't big enough (6.5') to accept the 5th wheel for the trailer, I don't think I could turn a corner.

I'm going to buy an all aluminum enclosed this time.
i have a rock warrior too. i like the truck. never had any issue with it. only oil change , thats it.

i also love the rock warrior trim. good dd too.

the Tekhonsa electric brake controller what i have has a same color display as the truck interrior lights + you can buy the Plug and play wire harness with it... just saying

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 10, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i have a rock warrior too. i like the truck. never had any issue with it. only oil change , thats it.

i also love the rock warrior trim. good dd too.

the Tekhonsa electric brake controller what i have has a same color display as the truck interrior lights + you can buy the Plug and play wire harness with it... just saying
Rob, these guys aren't your pizano's, are they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukFmDncuWFA
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

i think they polish. I cant understand the slavik languages . Only word i do is the KURVA lol witch is a prostitute. other then that...

for me just as blah blah as for you

Regarless , high trailer low weight towing car , braking when you sway etc. it wasnt a surprise they will ening up like this.

PS: he got lucky the trailer didnt flipp him over too...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 11, 2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM-lL...eature=related

super charge it with with TRD and you keep your warranty. You will drop mpg but you will haqve a kind of fast truck with all the warranty's etc. About $6K extra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkD46...eature=related

long term test final:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xgw...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gXbc...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plloQ...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 11, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Good videos! I have the dealer checking on the supercharger for me now. If it comes available for flexfuel I'd put it on the truck, if not then it's a no-go for me. I'm hopeful!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Good videos! I have the dealer checking on the supercharger for me now. If it comes available for flexfuel I'd put it on the truck, if not then it's a no-go for me. I'm hopeful!
as much as i know the flex fuel trucks are no go. But if you got the rock warrior that shouldnt be flex fuel. Maybe they changed it from 2010. But back then the RW wasnt flex fuel.

other then that the super charged tundra is a beast.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Supercharging your tow rig??? that seems very....

Will it help with anything? better mpg? or is it just another thing to brag about?

Quick Reply: Tow Rigs, What do you have/use?