Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2017 STU Discussion!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
die, stu
Old Aug 31, 2017, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim3142
Looks like we had a few more people drop out of STU for Nats, down to 28 now (assuming it doesn't change by next Thurs/Fri).
Could it be due to Hurricane Harvey?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

good luck to the stu drivers!

and a new class announced for the twins... actually a good idea, but at the same time stupid given the current DS/STX composition..

the whole class system right now is a clusterf. a camaro is winning DS, though admittedly on the "power" course so far, but i'm willing to bet the car gets pushed out if it wins. gotta protect those twins. or maybe they should move all of them to this spec class, and open up DS. who knows.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Perhaps take them out and move AWD cars from B-Street there instead!

Interesting thing is that DS top time today would be top time in FS on the same side as well...just barely, but plenty enough! Still, faster than any of the B-Street AWD cars there...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
Perhaps take them out and move AWD cars from B-Street there instead!

Interesting thing is that DS top time today would be top time in FS on the same side as well...just barely, but plenty enough! Still, faster than any of the B-Street AWD cars there...
particularly interesting since that side was the "power" side. that will probably be enough to move the camaro 2.0t back into FS or wherever it came form. forget about making boost buggies competitive, especially in a stock class. never gonna happen. not enough guys leave them stock.

what WOULD be interesting is if ASP went to street tires. seems SP is on the way out
Old Sep 9, 2017, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
SP* is dying a slow death. The number of people that want to run on Hoosiers are much less than the folks that want to run on street tires, just like in regional events. Maybe they should just take SP classes and combine them into SM classes. Eg: SMA, SMB, SMC, etc ...

Make ST* the new SP classes and create enough of them so there is a place for ever car to play.

After doing this for so many years, I'm really starting to hate the SCCA classing structure.
The following users liked this post:
kyoo (Sep 11, 2017)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Should be exciting. After watching the results from Nationals I've decided to fully prep the X for next year and make the trip out. Some ricer math that may or may not apply:

Wally trophied 7th in STU, I raw him consistently at our events so it looks like it would have been a good battle for a trophy spot towards the pointy end assuming typical driving/results.
Perry, 2nd in SS, I usually raw him or am right there with him. SS and STU ran the same day but 1st vs last heat so conditions must have changed as he ran the same time as Bryan in STU.

New wheels in, nt03 10.5. Saves me 6.5lbs of rotational mass per corner. Going to try and source a downpipe and manifold and really focus on the tune and open boost. Like I've been saying for a while now, don't sleep on the X as IMO the car is a threat

Last couple events the car has been really working well:
The tires have 130ish runs as are starting to slow down a tiny bit but I should be able to finish out the season.

Last edited by laloosh; Sep 21, 2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

What is the status of that boost2STU thing? Is it ON for 2018?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

seems that way. open ECU* not open boost

also on: mini cooper s to STU (even though it didn't win stx this year). though to be fair, they'll get wider tires (if they can fit them) and it would have trophied in STU this year anyway

also: the joint campaign w/ the focus rs guys for a single diff in STU is over. no allowance

Last edited by kyoo; Sep 21, 2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Does the X have the "need to change the boost pill" issue like the IX does?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Does the X have the "need to change the boost pill" issue like the IX does?
For max boost yes, we are only allowed to use the ecu so the X will see 2-3 psi more up top and 3-4 in the low-midrange.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

that's a pretty solid bump if you ask me
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by laloosh
2018 Should be exciting. After watching the results from Nationals I've decided to fully prep the X for next year and make the trip out. Some ricer math that may or may not apply:

Wally trophied 7th in STU, I raw him consistently at our events so it looks like it would have been a good battle for a trophy spot towards the pointy end assuming typical driving/results.
Perry, 2nd in SS, I usually raw him or am right there with him. SS and STU ran the same day but 1st vs last heat so conditions must have changed as he ran the same time as Bryan in STU.

New wheels in, nt03 10.5. Saves me 6.5lbs of rotational mass per corner. Going to try and source a downpipe and manifold and really focus on the tune and open boost. Like I've been saying for a while now, don't sleep on the X as IMO the car is a threat

Last couple events the car has been really working well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ2faKLI8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgShuA0bUK8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiEp-GhAMc
The tires have 130ish runs as are starting to slow down a tiny bit but I should be able to finish out the season.

This year's courses seemed to be more of the speed maintenance variety with a few digs sprinkled in - Bryan left everyone in STU in the dust but STU as a whole was raw-timed by STR by ~.7s, not sure if it's because they had better conditions from running Tues/Wed, or the courses favoring S2k/ND/NCs more, or maybe better driving from STR, etc. As for SS vs STU, the OPR wasn't bad until Friday afternoon, when CAM-C/S and AS were running right before us (CP also ran right after SS) - by the time STU was about to run, the course was caked in OPR. Hope to see you there next year, the class could use more Evos
The following users liked this post:
Murph (Sep 23, 2017)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

What is the go to pad for the STU/BS guys in here? I have tried Carbotech AX6 and got amazing stopping power! But they were a bit too much on modulation side for the street tires - kind of like ON/OFF switch once they get hot (half the first run, more or less). Now switched to Porterfield R4S and they are pretty much the same as the DS2500 I used before (noise, stopping power, dust wise).

But, a bit more of biting power would be nice without it being a binary pad! Any suggestions here?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim3142
This year's courses seemed to be more of the speed maintenance variety with a few digs sprinkled in - Bryan left everyone in STU in the dust but STU as a whole was raw-timed by STR by ~.7s, not sure if it's because they had better conditions from running Tues/Wed, or the courses favoring S2k/ND/NCs more, or maybe better driving from STR, etc. As for SS vs STU, the OPR wasn't bad until Friday afternoon, when CAM-C/S and AS were running right before us (CP also ran right after SS) - by the time STU was about to run, the course was caked in OPR. Hope to see you there next year, the class could use more Evos
IIRC STR has raw timed STU before in the past

Quick Reply: 2017 STU Discussion!