Curb weight reduction - Page 17 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Curb weight reduction

Old Apr 20, 2017, 05:27 AM   #241
Evolving Member

Drives: evo

What are the core dimensions of the blitz?

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:19 AM   #242
Evolved Member

Drives: 2005 Evo 8. 2011 F150 FX4

Looks very similar a Greddy intercooler I put on a client's car last year. The fab and metal finish work on those end tanks is beautiful.

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:42 AM   #243
Evolving Member

Drives: Tarmac Black Evo IX SSL

You're all welcome. Now they'll jack up the price and I'll never be able to get one in the us again...

Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:37 PM   #244
EvoM Super Moderator

Drives: 05 Evo SSL

Intercooler looks nice indeed! Is the core really 600x300x76 or slightly different?

As I mentioned prior Im very interested in what Plazmaman has to offer as they too sell a couple different tube and fin designs. The two Im curious on is the following:
500x300x76 weight is 15.18#
https://plazmaman.com/shop_itemdetai...id=111&cate=80
600x300x76 weight is 16.28#
https://plazmaman.com/shop_itemdetai...id=109&cate=80

The bottom one has a different end tank design which apparently needs different piping although Im not sure how much different it really is and what would be needed to make it work.

So all in all they both weigh a lil more than the Blitz unit but I have no frame of reference as to how the cores compare. Decisions decisions...meahwhile where are you'll sourcing the Blitz unit from as Im curious on pricing. Seems theyre pretty inexpensive

Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:48 PM   #245
Evolved Member

to be honest I think the IC's are the biggest ripoffs in the market..

the plazman unit looks real nice and I like the end tank design but 1125 usd?

the unit I am using is this
http://www.turbozentrum.de/ladelufts...m-63mm/a-1760/

less than 180 usd and that is with 20% tax on top.... ok, I will be messing around with the end tanks to avoid having couplers there but still... and it is a core with internal fins...

Old Apr 20, 2017, 01:45 PM   #246
EvoM Super Moderator

That's AUS dollars not 'merica, lol!

So its more in the 6-700 range factor in shipping and Im probably in the 800ish ballpark which sure is sorta expensive but not like its that much more than a typical bar and plate unit that everyone and their mother currently has on their evo.

Like all of us in here, or at least most in the interest of shedding the lbs I'd really like to find something that can support my modest power level ~460whp ish and is also not a tank. What can you tell me about the core above? And being that I can't weld AL Id like to find a bolt in option minus simple piping/ coupler changes.

I just dont understand the huge swing in pricing of some units. Which ones are you paying for the name vs paying for a quality core? I dont mind paying more for something that is better but for exaple the HKS units while supposedly very nice $1500 is way out of my realm of possibility.

But that unit you linked say its $300 that is crazy cheap. So what gives

Old Apr 20, 2017, 03:34 PM   #247
kaj
Evolved Member

Drives: '06 MR, '00 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathooker View Post
What are the core dimensions of the blitz?
I know what the ad says, but I will measure tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone View Post
Looks very similar a Greddy intercooler I put on a client's car last year. The fab and metal finish work on those end tanks is beautiful.
pictures don't do them justice. I am seriously impressed and they HAVE to flow better than the squared up AMS tanks (I assume thats why they have since changed the design)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroi Kitsune View Post
You're all welcome. Now they'll jack up the price and I'll never be able to get one in the us again...
FRSport is the only place i found that had one. And only one.
2-3 month wait if ordering from Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Intercooler looks nice indeed! Is the core really 600x300x76 or slightly different?
...meahwhile where are you'll sourcing the Blitz unit from as Im curious on pricing. Seems theyre pretty inexpensive
see above, brotha.

Old Apr 20, 2017, 08:20 PM   #248
Evolved Member

ETS will make you an intercooler using a Garrett core if you pay a bit extra, I am sure they could also make one using a Setrab core.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 01:38 AM   #249
kaj
Evolved Member

Blitz core = 23 1/2 x 10 1/4 x 2 5/8

so, not quite 3". I'm okay with that seeing how everything i read mentioned surface area being more important than thickness.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 03:52 AM   #250
Evolving Member

Drives: Tarmac Black Evo IX SSL

Hopefully I'll be able to offer some insight soon on how it supports a little more power. Old car was 330/330 to the wheels. Our new setup should be 450/400.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 07:09 AM   #251
Evolving Member

Drives: evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaj View Post
Blitz core = 23 1/2 x 10 1/4 x 2 5/8

so, not quite 3". I'm okay with that seeing how everything i read mentioned surface area being more important than thickness.
Yes surface area should be more effective than thickness.

The 2 5/8" thickness is pretty thin though. What hp are you running? (My apologies if it was mentioned previously)

Old Apr 21, 2017, 08:55 AM   #252
EvoM Super Moderator

I might have to reach out to ETS and see if there is any interest in fabbing up something custom with a different core. The Blitz does look nice but its also pretty small which is a concern. If it heat soaks I'll lose more time in a run with the car pulling timing relative to the negligeable gain I'd get from the drop in weight up front. That is my dilemma...

On a different note, I'd like to do something about my front crash beam. I know technically in SM I can't modify my bumper beam but I just race locally anyway so classing isnt a concern for me. Given that I could remove it completely, purchase the STM lightweight front bumper beam, swap in a Cusco Power Brace (most likely does absolutely nothing) but also lighter than stock or fab up something myself out of chromoly or aluminum.

What do you'll have up front? Is there any rigidity to be gained from the front bumper beam? My gut says no so rip it off completely or replace with something very light for insurance reasons. The thing weighs 13# afterall so its certainly significant.

Kiki- what did your car come with upfront? Is there a bar there at all or no? Anything to help support the bumper cover?

Old Apr 21, 2017, 09:14 AM   #253
Evolved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
On a different note, I'd like to do something about my front crash beam.
The USDM front and rear crash beams were added to appease insurance (by reducing damage in low speed collisions). They are heavy pressed steel afterthoughts. Evos around the world seem to do just fine without them.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 09:22 AM   #254
EvoM Super Moderator

Yeah well aware of that in that they're a low speed impact bumper beam. Given that are evos outside of the states completely lacking the beam or is there a simple bar that still goes across? If theyre lacking the beam completely then that answers it from a rigidity perspective. Personally Im not sure how I feel about removing it completely given that my car still sees usage on public roads and I'd hate to have insurance give me a hard time about it should something happen.

Old Apr 21, 2017, 09:43 AM   #255
kaj
Evolved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathooker View Post
Yes surface area should be more effective than thickness.

The 2 5/8" thickness is pretty thin though. What hp are you running? (My apologies if it was mentioned previously)
450Whp on track days and the occasional autox.

between my FMIC and front crash beam (haven't put it on following my test fit), I have dropped 22lbs from the very nose of the car. I'm down to 3078lbs. Only 79lbs to teach my goal!
maybe I should dump the rest beam too lol