Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo Down, but not out!

Old Jun 17, 2018, 01:00 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
I don't know if you have one but I prefer an oil pressure sensor. Oil pressure sensor is installed on the oil filter housing using the AMS remote oil pressure relocation line.

Looks like you might be mounting the oil temperature sensor to the drain plug?
I am planning on doing a pressure sensor as well. What i have pictured is a bulkhead fitting intended for a transmission oil pan.

Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 17, 2018, 01:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I'd be afraid that nut could back off and do all sorts of awful things. I say either get a fitting welded into the pan or spot weld that nut together.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
I'd be afraid that nut could back off and do all sorts of awful things. I say either get a fitting welded into the pan or spot weld that nut together.
I was thinking the same thing. Welded bung it is. Thx for the feedback
Old Jun 17, 2018, 03:35 PM

I want to use this sensor, but i cannot find a bung for a M10 x 1.5. I guess that is an unusual sensor thread type.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Most temp sensor are 1/8 NPT, and the stock drain plug can be drilled/tapped to 1/8 NPT for a simple install.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 06:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I want to use this sensor, but i cannot find a bung for a M10 x 1.5. I guess that is an unusual sensor thread type.
I use Delphi 12160855, it's 1/8 NPT and works perfectly.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab
I use Delphi 12160855, it's 1/8 NPT and works perfectly.
thanks, ill check that one out
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Most temp sensor are 1/8 NPT, and the stock drain plug can be drilled/tapped to 1/8 NPT for a simple install.
now that you mention it, I do recall seeing this done. I'll give it a shot. The drain bolt is certainly cheaper to replace then the pan if something doesn't go right.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If you have the pan out of the car pick up a bung and have it welded on. Should be able to get that done on the cheap. Or do as Sean said and drill and tap your drain plug.

Im not sure what you have for gauges but I just removed my VDO analog setup that had oil temp, oil pressure and boost pressure along with the gauge panel. Im only mentioning it bc it also includes the oil temp sending unit which is just the oil drain plug. PM if interested
Old Jun 18, 2018, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
If you have the pan out of the car pick up a bung and have it welded on. Should be able to get that done on the cheap. Or do as Sean said and drill and tap your drain plug.

Im not sure what you have for gauges but I just removed my VDO analog setup that had oil temp, oil pressure and boost pressure along with the gauge panel. Im only mentioning it bc it also includes the oil temp sending unit which is just the oil drain plug. PM if interested
For sure it's the ideal time to do it. I'm exploring that option, but vetting a local welder is something i have been putting off since i moved like 4 years ago lol. It's something i really need to do just a time sink.

I'm actually trying to make my own gauges. Thanks anyway though, ill ask around and see if anyone i know is in the market for gauges.

In case anyone was interested here is an in progress pic of that project. The gauge face is just a mock up but its where im going aesthetically.

Old Jun 18, 2018, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Woah way cool! Forgot you were a techie

Yeah finding a competent welder is always a struggle. I dabble a little bit but I do not have a TIG setup yet so things like having bung welded on an oil pan I sub out. Luckily about a month ago I was introduced to a guy down the street from me who is a fantastic welder so my struggle is officially a thing of the past.

I actually just had him weld in a bung for my oil pan a couple weeks ago. Started with adding in an AN fitting for my turbo drain then decided to put bung in too for oil temp so I could get a magnetic drain plug. But if you dont want it welded on tapping the drain plug will work fine.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Woah way cool! Forgot you were a techie

Yeah finding a competent welder is always a struggle. I dabble a little bit but I do not have a TIG setup yet so things like having bung welded on an oil pan I sub out. Luckily about a month ago I was introduced to a guy down the street from me who is a fantastic welder so my struggle is officially a thing of the past.

I actually just had him weld in a bung for my oil pan a couple weeks ago. Started with adding in an AN fitting for my turbo drain then decided to put bung in too for oil temp so I could get a magnetic drain plug. But if you dont want it welded on tapping the drain plug will work fine.
Thx, its really gonna pick up once i decide how i want to make the gauge body. Im split between cast resin and 3D printing, but ultimately machined billet aluminum is where i want to end up.
It does sound like you lucked out. Everyone needs a good welder in their life. I really want to get into metal fabrication too, facilities have been holding me back there.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I'm actually trying to make my own gauges. Thanks anyway though, ill ask around and see if anyone i know is in the market for gauges.
Is that a SparkFun Pro Micro? I have been meaning to order one so that I can use it to build a DIY E85 analyzer.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
Is that a SparkFun Pro Micro? I have been meaning to order one so that I can use it to build a DIY E85 analyzer.
Damn you have a good eye. That is exactly what it is. The one that is wired up is connected to a sparkfun max3232 for serial COMS. I needed that to interface it with my Zeitronix ZT-2 and with some alteration to the firmware turned it into basically what their their "hacker" display is:

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/Ha..._Tweaker.shtml

I think mine is the real "hacker" display though

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Jun 18, 2018 at 05:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
deylag (Jun 18, 2018)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:12 PM

Cleaned injectors

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo Down, but not out!