Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)

Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealership replaced the tim. belt and pulley no noise now all under warranty
Old Jan 12, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

The Post

You know I notice that this noise comes and goes, wow going to be hard to get it covered under warranty. I do notice if you idle it up to about 1000RPM and let off you here it more, especially if your blipping the throttle from the throttle body. I know someone posted they paid to have it repaired and I am greatful for the post but honestly I can't afford to shell out over $150 in parts and $500+ in labor to get something fixed that Mitsubishi should be paying for not me....So I will wait until it gets worse I guess. What is worse case scenerio? The pulley siezes and snaps the timming belt? Pretty hard for Mits to deny that claim now would it? But then again they would probably just say I was "racing" Jeeze........
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DB20PSI
Well - the post mentioning the timing belt was correct.

Word for word from the invoice: "Noise coming from timing belt due to timing belt in too far hitting against crank sensor blade. Replaced timing belt, tensioner pulley arm and crank sensor plate."

Parts replaced: Crankshaft blade, timing belt, timing belt pulley and cylinder bracket

Advisor told me the timing belt pulley may have been machined incorrectly

Maybe this should be sticky as it seems a few other IX have a similar issue?

100% stock 18,000 mile IX SE
thats exactly what my mitsu tech told me yesterday when i got my car back. hopefully the problem doesn't come back, and if it does i'll be sure to recomend what should be checked/replaced.

thumbs up to this thread
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same sound.........do i take it in and tell them to replace the belt and pulley my car just hit 25k today 06 ha but its under warranty ?? so should i get that stuff replaced
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drooke
i have the same sound.........do i take it in and tell them to replace the belt and pulley my car just hit 25k today 06 ha but its under warranty ?? so should i get that stuff replaced
it took me 3 visits to the dealer for them to figure out what it was. So go in to the dealer and tell them that irs making noise from the right side of the motor and that you've done some research and found out that its being caused by the timing belt working its way back and rubbing on some parts. They should figure it out by then.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Who else is having the problem?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 08:40 PM

My noise
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=KKPuqum1-xE

Driven very easy

06 EVO IX 21K Miles

(Mods can delete my other post about this)
Old Jun 4, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Mine makes a slight squeaking noise when the car is cold or when its real cold outside until the car warms up then it doesnt do it anymore. My IX has 45k miles on it.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Mine was fixed under warranty and now its doing it again. I have a few thousand left on my warranty. I will take it in before the end of it and have it fixed one more time.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

I had sprayed some belt conditioner on my belts before.It made it worse for a little while but than the noise eventually went away.I have not had the belt noise since and that was about 5,000 miles ago.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

To be honest, I have an 02 lancer and I have the same noise as well. Although I have a really weird noise coming from my oil breather. TempeRacer had an idea and I'm going to listen to him, but my idler pulley might be shot also. so I'm going to have to look at all that, because my squeaks are bad, gets worse when I put on the A/C. 4G94 and 4G63T are we really that different? lol, j/k

side note: I sprayed conditioner on my belts also, made mine worse, don't do it to try and stop noise
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:02 AM

getting the same sound on my IX as well. i actually only noticed the 'noise' after installing my defi oil pressure and temp gauges a few months back. up until now i thought maybe i threaded a sensor too far into the oil filter housing causing a flow problem with the oil cooler or pump (to me the 'noise' almost sounded like a pumping noise). glad the community is shedding some light on this mysterious annoyance! keep up the good investigative work everyone!
Old Jun 5, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

What could be causing this exaclty? And is it harming our cars? Mine comes and goes. Not nearly as bad as before I had it fixed the first time.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

I've put almost 20k miles on my car with it doing and I drive it pretty hard sometimes I havent had any problems yet out of it. Its prolly fine to be honest other wise we would have heard about ppls stuff breaking and we havent yet.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

timing belt........ trust me on this, found solution to it a long time ago in another thread

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)