Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ can you post it? My IX does the same thing when its cold
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:47 PM

Mine has done the same thing for the last 20K miles. it goes away after about 10 min of driving, not necessarily when the motor is warm. I had my own personal mechanic friend listen to it, and like someone else said, it is the tensioner. IT DOES NOT HURT PERFORMANCE. Its just annoying and embarassing when u drive slowly through a parking lot after the motor has cooled, only to see a group of people look and hear "tick ta tick ta tick ta tick ta tick" lol.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is doing the exact same noise and its defo not the alternator belt or one of its pullies.I removed the alternator belt and ran the engine without it for few min and the noise was still there,which obviously proves that the problem has to be the timing belt.
I`ll be hopefully replacing my belt shortly with Hks timing belt
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Here is the noise mine makes. It does it warm or cold. It might even get worse as it gets warm, I'm not real sure. It doesn't sound real loud in the video after startup, but when I came home after a half hour drive or so it was louder. Car has 30k miles on it. Definitely coming from the timing belt area, maybe a belt rubbing on the cover?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah3gZmR8Df4

Edit: just realized the noise can be heard inside only when the clutch is let out. When I push it in it goes away.

Last edited by Routybouty; Sep 27, 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

if the noise goes away when clutch is depressed,then that would be your clutch release bearing thats making the noise,nothing to do with belt.but from your video it does sound like its coming from timing belt area, my car does the same thing.also when engine gets warmer,its 10 times noiser.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

just to let you know guys,i found the cure for my cambelt and the noise is completly gone!happy days.

well, i stripped everything and no faults found,all pullies in good condition,which confused me alot.
What i did find out is that there is a slight drag of cambelt against one of the pullies which is causing the timing belt to become dry and the noise i was hearing was the dry cambelt.
I sprayed bit of silikone spray or wd40 on outer part of the belt and noise has completly vanished.amazed i was.
You can give it a try,its worth it
remove the cambelt cover and while engine is running spray little bit on outer part of the belt,but not too much and your noise should go away

thanks
Old Oct 9, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem on mine and I just got it back from the dealer. They charged me $150 for diag and told me that the torque damper was causing the upper cover to rub on the belt. So I took off the upper cover and drove for a little while and the noise is still there. This is awesome info and videos. Looks like I'm going back to the stealer with alot more info in hand and hopefully I can get my money back.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

never heard it on my car. Check all fluids and start simple then go from there. Keep up on all work needing to be done regularly.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is making this exact same noise, guess I will have to get in there and replace the timing parts.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 10:19 AM

I have not read all the comments but my car made/makes the same noise as the original youtube vid. i have an '06 IX.

the dealer fixed the problem, but the noise came back within a month

i took it back and they fixed it a 2nd time, it's been like 10 months and the noise is back

i'm going to take it back for a 3rd time.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

From what I've gathered, it might be related to the 9's steering pump. I know in my 9 and another friends of mine 9, our cars make similar noise, however in a friend of mines 8, the noise is nonexistant. One day I was a shop and he mentioned the sound thinking it was the steering pump as well.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

dry belt thats all it is. seen it happening on few 9`s and if belt is treated with bit of anti slip lube or similar, noise will dissapear
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:28 PM

Took mine into Mitsubishi this week with the same noise and they seem to think it's the Idler Pulley...They ordered another one and are replacing it next week. We'll see.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Mine had this exact same noise. Took it to the dealer and they changed the p/s pulley. 10k miles later and still no noise.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ITS JUST A DRY BELT!!! Spray some silicone or wd-40 and it will go away.

Quick Reply: IX Engine idle noise (belt?) (video)