Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kpt6
HELP --> I just bought a completely stock 05 Evo last week. I put some Tein S Tech's on it and now the car pulls to the right, while clunking from the right over small bumps. (Didn't clunk before). It's wierd. Also, the left front tire was worn really bad on the inside, but the three other tires were normal when I took them off.

I am wondering if it is possible that the right strut was already blown before I put the springs on, hence the wear on the left tire?

Also when I first put the front struts on the car, it made a lot of noise when I turned the wheel back and forth, so I took the struts back off and pulled them apart thinking that maybe I had put them together wrong. I put them back together and then back on the car and the noise stopped when I turned the wheel, but it is still there when I drive over bumps.

This is pretty strange to me, as this is the third time I have put S Tech's on one of my Evo's and this is the first time I've had problems like this.
Hey kpt6. I also noticed a clunking from the left front, and also have bad inner tire wear on my right front. My suspension is totally stock. It turns out that the left front strut may be blown. I am not sure yet if this is the cause of the bad tire wear across on the right front tire, but it may well be. Good luck figuring out what the problem is with yours and remember to post the diagnosis!
Old Jul 7, 2007, 08:48 AM

with 9k on the odo, i doubt i have strut problem. my rubbing/clunking noise began the day of springs and 3" megan Downpipe were installed.

i get the rubbing/clunking noise even in straight line just coming out in first gear with slight almost no load on the engine.

i have buschur spacers for the under braces. clearance there is NO issue.

could it be the DP rubbing up top ?? is there a "tunnel" or something for it to hit against ?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 07:55 PM

i have that problem too on my IX. i thought it was the ball joints
Old Jul 12, 2007, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok... so i went back after i posted and read about 6 pages and saw the part about the springs hitting each other. definitely makes sense. the lowering springs i have has some of the rubber things between them but not enough. where can i get that stuff from?

Last edited by samj601; Jul 12, 2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:24 PM

I've always had a clunk in my front end but it only happened once in a while. Just recently it started happening all the damn time. I live in Rhode Island the US capital of ****ty roads so my car clunks and bangs wherever I go. It'll stop for a few bumps then sure enough it comes back again to torment me. I can feel the vibration under my feet so I thought is was possible that the sway bar was loose but everything seems tight under there. I noticed the other day that the struts have fluid leaking from them so I bought some used IX struts from a member on here. I hope by swapping them out it'll solve my problem. Something is definatly off now because when I take a corner quickly my tires will squeak a bit where they never did before. I'm trying not to drive until I get the struts in because I don't want to screw anything else up
Old Aug 26, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, I just read all 320 posts...well, on thing is for sure, we all have different problems, because I can see the posts to be in the following grouping:

1) Clunk when turning
2) Clunk on washboard roads
3) Clunk after installing bigger DP, or lowering the car

For this purpose, I think we should start a poll on this, to really find out who fits where.

I personally just got my EVO 7 and had noticed that it has been clunking since day 1, I fit in the #2 type, clunking while going through washboard roads. Just tonight it felt worse, but it has been bothering me for a while now. Will go to my mechanic tomorrow to have the Swaybar links, strut assembly, springs and steering system checked.

Whenever I feel/hear the clunk, there is also feedback on the steering wheel, like something is banging on the steering column, so I really am not sure if it is just a sound. I agree that mitsu should fix this, but I think it is hard for them to narrow it down since the car itself has so many clunks and sounds that it makes.

Anyway, I think with the 3 general categories I placed, we can delve into more details of each.

People who have fixed their clunks, hopefully you can chime in to people who still need your help and let us know which of the 3 categories you belong to and how you fixed your clunk.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

I fit in teh #2 catagory. just hollow sound like the top of the strout bar is loose. developed after I hit a curb, it was quite before. so I think that my spring maybe the problem here. I double check everything and nothing is loose, the bushing on the sway bar end link looks good. I just need to find time to drop the strout and do something about it. will report back when i do. C
Old Aug 26, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

i work at a dealership and have personally fixed a few of the clunks while cornering under load or while changing surface grades. most of them have been because the upper and lower spring seats are not aligned correctly. some others have been worn upper mount bearings.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evosean
i work at a dealership and have personally fixed a few of the clunks while cornering under load or while changing surface grades. most of them have been because the upper and lower spring seats are not aligned correctly. some others have been worn upper mount bearings.
How to corectly fix it?? take it strout/shock assembly and re-align?? C
Old Aug 27, 2007, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Just an update, I took mine to a mechanic instead of the dealers since the car is not under warranty anyway. Here are the findings:

checked the sway bar links - fine
checked the torque of the strut top nut - fine
checked for other lose nuts and bolts on the front end - fine

Haven't had a chance the check the springs in case it needed a hose on it and the mechanic immediately noticed:

That the downpipe was actually very close to the 2 strut bar at the bottom of the car. and the thermotec wrapper was worn out exactly where it would contact. I also noticed that the old owner of the car, lowered these bars, by adding a nut on the screw (in between the body and the strut), and on the one side, I noticed that the nut was placed on the other side of the strut...unscrewed it, and placed the nut in between the body and the strut to lower it.

There is less clunking on mine now, and I am satisfied with it already. Of course all the interior rattles are there, but there is no clunking on washboard roads anymore, and only clunks when I hit a pothole, which is probably normal.

I think there in the USA, since people are not allowed in the service bay of the dealers, it is much harder to really tell if the dealerships are giving you BS or not...here in the Philippines, I get to talk to the mech immediately as things progress, and that has given me a lot of confidence in the things they tell me. I walked under the car while it was on the lift and saw the mechanic inspect every item that I asked them to inspect. I suggest that if you can find a mechanic who would let you do this, to do it, so you can inspect it yourself.

I read this entire thread last night, and was really worried about my car, and was so worried that it seemed like a mystery that is not solved...but I think it felt like that because there are a lot of speculation on what it is and I think there are many different cases here, and many different solututions....If you list down the possibilities, and try them all in your car, you will be bound to have one that works.

In my native language of Tagalog, there are a words that are more descriptive of "clunk" like kalampag (non-metallic thump) or lagatok (metallic clunk) so it was also easier to explain it to the mechanic.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 08:14 PM

Check your strut upper mount bearings.

My 03 used to have a clunking sound which turned out to be the grease wearing and moving out of the races. This started happening quite early in its life - around 3000 miles.

Easy to fix: pop the plastic cover caps off and press the grease back into the bearings! Better to lift the front wheels off the ground and put new grease into the bearings, and turn the steering wheel to work the grease in.

No noise from my 06 MR yet...

RK
Old Sep 3, 2007, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

yep mines clunks when im turning and hit a bump..its the front right doing it... ^^ill try what you said
Old Sep 5, 2007, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by wasAudi_nowEvo
Yes. When it was quite new, I took the car in and demonstrated the noise for the service tech. They replaced the right front strut under warranty.

It fixed the problem, but only for a short while. The noise returned on the same corner of the car after a couple of thousand miles.

The thread that refuses to die (follow-up).... Over time, my noise (sort of like "oil-canning" but lower pitch) became more frequent, but not louder.

Using the categories described just above....
1) Clunk when turning
2) Clunk on washboard roads
3) Clunk after installing bigger DP, or lowering the car

My noise was Category 2.

Anyway, I just installed coilovers (Megans) FWIW and (despite the higher spring rates) the noise is GONE! We'll see how long it lasts.

Last edited by wasAudi_nowEvo; Sep 5, 2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Sep 13, 2007, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Just to keep this going...

over the last month heard the Clunk 3 times....only when going around 5-10 mph and lightly braking...the clunk sound...like a wrench in the wheel well...then the brakes seem to make a TV WHITE OUT SHUUSHING SOUND.....

the last time this happen while barely rolling I slammed the brakes it "popped" back out...what ever that means.

So who knows...I wrote out all the things to check on this thread and am going to take it to a performance shop to check it out....

thanks for everyone who's posted to try and fix this ....we all MITSU is worthless to help

'06 IX 9300 miles
Old Sep 20, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the clunk the dealer put on 2 front struts and a driverside end link but i hear a clunk now when for example coming down from a speedbump or very bumpy road going like 5mph im gonna take it back in so they can put on a new right side end link which they should of changed when the changed the left side swaybar endlink ill keep u posted.....

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??