Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Evo XI : a new era - for those who root FOR diesel hybrid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ApeIron2012
Thank you!

The sad part is the "y u mad" dude is a self professed Mitsubishi Engineer. He could've opened a can of engineering whoopass on me but "y u mad" is apparently the most intelligent response he could come up with.

That explains quite a bit as to what's wrong with Mitsubishi
I am a Mitsubishi Engineer...for Mitsubishi Power Systems, which is unrelated to Mitsubishi Automotive.

Your rant was related to one specific assembly failing for a small percentage of Evo owners, which is an even smaller fraction of Mitsu owners. You bought a car with average higher maintenance cost than most vehicles and then you drive it on salted snowy roads. My comment was much more TIC than you took it.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TedMitsu
There's a location on the east coast, I believe in Maryland, that rebuilds them and provides a better warranty than Mitsubishi provides on their own pump. It's pretty hilarious if you think about it. My own pump went to **** last year, and I have yet to fix it. Cus forking over 2k+ for a part your car doesn't even need to function is retarded. Oh and by the way I think the rebuild is only $600.
This is extremely constructive. Are you talking about ACD Tuning? Or are there other ACD/AYC aftermarket support available? I know there are quite a few others out there.

I am talking to some modders to see if we can outright mod the ACD pump into the trunk of the car. It might be a more feasible long term solution than replacing the pump every 40k miles. Thank you.

Originally Posted by jt8217
I am a Mitsubishi Engineer...for Mitsubishi Power Systems, which is unrelated to Mitsubishi Automotive.

Your rant was related to one specific assembly failing for a small percentage of Evo owners, which is an even smaller fraction of Mitsu owners. You bought a car with average higher maintenance cost than most vehicles and then you drive it on salted snowy roads. My comment was much more TIC than you took it.
The Mitsubishi engineer can string together actual English sentences instead of talking in drunk frat boy lingo. I am impressed. My confidence in the Evo XI just tripled.

I complain because I actually like my car and want to hang onto it. If I have given up on the car, I wouldn't even waste my time being here. However, you are doing a good job changing my mind. Good job representing your company.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Brian,

Do you know about the ACD and the AYC on the Evo and AWD Lancers? They are pieces of crap. You want us to invest our hard earn money in Mitsubishi? Maybe get them to do something about our pieces of junk AWD devices. These things have only been in service since 2005 yet they are built like junk. They are made to rust every 40,000 miles or so.

You want us to trust Mitsubishi enough to invest our hard earn money into a XI? Then prove to us that we are not simply going to be paying them to have the "privilege" to beta test their new car. Do a general recall of some sort and get us some ACD and AYC that actually survice a North American winter and we'll talk.
I have ~70k miles on my Evo X, been through many Michigan winters where we use salt heavily. Zero problems.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by wiretap
I have ~70k miles on my Evo X, been through many Michigan winters where we use salt heavily. Zero problems.
That's very interesting. Is your Evo garage kept? Do you winter proof your car? anti-corrosive spray and what not? Wash the bottom of your car regularly? What's your maintenance regiment?

I am also interested in preventative measures to stretch out the life of these pumps. Maybe you are onto something. If you got more info, that would be really helpful.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the newest Evo XI doesn't interest me one bit. i like diesels car for their efficiency but they're straying further and further from what the Evo once was - an econobox bred from competition that could run with the best in the world. As such, they should just call it something else and just discontinue the Evo line altogether.

if i could have things my way, i would have named the X the "Galant VR4" or something along those lines given its size and niceties.

/die hard Evo 5-9 fanboy
Old Jun 5, 2013, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

That's very interesting. Is your Evo garage kept? Do you winter proof your car? anti-corrosive spray and what not? Wash the bottom of your car regularly? What's your maintenance regiment?

I am also interested in preventative measures to stretch out the life of these pumps. Maybe you are onto something. If you got more info, that would be really helpful.
I just do the standard recommended maintenance in the owners manual. I drive it year around. I just started keeping it in the garage about 10k miles ago when I bought a house. In the winter I regularly get underbody washes at the touchless car wash to get all the salt off. Fluid changes are also very important.. and don't skip out on things like the differentials and AYC fluid.

Last edited by wiretap; Jun 5, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by wiretap
I just do the standard recommended maintenance in the owners manual. I drive it year around. I just started keeping it in the garage about 10k miles ago when I bought a house. In the winter I regularly get underbody washes at the touchless car wash to get all the salt off. Fluid changes are also very important.. and don't skip out on things like the differentials and AYC fluid.
I've put my car on the intensive driving maintenance schedule even though I barely push my car. $500 of fluid replacement services in a few days. Woohoo. I spend more money on the car than I do. Hopefully it'll ward off the failure. Yeah, since I've got the car it's been completely garage kept. However, I think I will adapt the car washing regimen for the winter.

Appreciate the tip.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:23 AM

The Mitsubishi engineer can string together actual English sentences instead of talking in drunk frat boy lingo. I am impressed. My confidence in the Evo XI just tripled.

I complain because I actually like my car and want to hang onto it. If I have given up on the car, I wouldn't even waste my time being here. However, you are doing a good job changing my mind. Good job representing your company.

In a thread about a potential new model, you complain about your car falling apart in harsh winters after doing no preventative maintenance, and question my intelligence based off of an internet meme phrase in response to your off topic rant.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jt8217

In a thread about a potential new model, you complain about your car falling apart in harsh winters after doing no preventative maintenance, and question my intelligence based off of an internet meme phrase in response to your off topic rant.
y u mad bro?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-failures.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...red-light.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-flashing.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...2008-x-mr.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...back-life.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...red-light.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...awc-issue.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...161e-code.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-required.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...pump-fail.html

Truth be told, electric, diesel, heck bring on a solar Evo and I'll be there with the bucks. It's the reliability and Mitsubishi's willingness to stand behind their technology that troubles me.

I am done here in this thread.

Thank you for giving me the attention I needed to spread the word. At this point savvy shoppers are going to start digging into the ACD/AYC mess for themselves. It's not much of a campaign but if it would cause at least one bean counter at Mitsubishi to consider taking a course to redevelope the ACD/AYC and get rid of other ancient mistakes (CMC, fuel relay) for the Evo XI then we all win. If not, well...

Caveat Emptor.

Last edited by ApeIron2012; Jun 6, 2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: fixed links
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope to god that this is not going to be a true hybrid. It doesn't seem like Mitsubishi is too interested in Hybrids. Instead, I believe that the car will and SHOULD work like the Fisker Karma does. If they go with their original idea of putting one 100HP (constant) electric motor in each hub with a diesel generator on-board for range extension, that is a car that I would seriously consider. That means that depending on the "C" rating of the lithium batteries, which they will inevitably use, and the voltage of the batteries, etc., that these motors will come out of the box momentarily able to expend 500HP and as much torque. Granted the car will be an absolute pig. That is why I believe that these numbers may be close to what we may see on the production car. A robotic style traction control system that can be fully tuned would be awesome, as well.

If they could pull that off, I believe that the market for the new Evolution XI will be eclectic yet strong. It would be a great touring car with enough power to shut most people on the road up.

A good piece of fore-sight would be to make the diesel generator compact and easy to remove on track days, or whatever.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rich3389
Mitsu been talking about a diesel evo since before the IX came out...
I believe that the original intention was to begin racing in a different arena (i.e. not WRC). Diesel powered cars are doing incredibly well in endurance racing. Perhaps that idea was kicked out....but, whatever that thought was before the production of the X, the new XI seems to have a completely different purpose and context than previous diesel conversations. As a generator, that makes huge sense.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I'm guessing 400lb ft of torque at under 2k rpm??