Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 07:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
VI TME is JSD KWA BRH AND with EJA ORE ABE and S-DHA
Old Apr 6, 2017, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Maybe its the suspension changes I have made, but my 6 rs rotates better than any of my 9's (I have owned 3 9's, including a 9RS). /shrug
Just about anything can be made to rotate eventually. According to the Archer brothers the viscous diff eagle talons used to rotate like a **** too, with a big *** rear sway bar. Until they snap oversteered.

Last edited by moparfan; Apr 6, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Are you sure about that? I am not up on my WRC rules history, its actually quite complex, but there are multiple sites on the internet (I know what can you trust these days) claiming "in 2001, Mitsubishi was forced by the FIA to race in the WRC using WRC rules for building a car instead of the Group A class rules, and thus did not need to follow homologation rules."
https://sites.google.com/site/mymits.../evolution-vii
Sure , all RS is homologated , and even the USA version can get very easy to homologation papers. A lot easier then the GSR.

What most Evo owners still doesnt understand , we literally drive a Homolog ready cars... Engine transmission etc is already homolog so as the most suspension parts etc.

We do drive a base race car, its a fact. What do you think why our engine etc so strong?

The Difference between Evos is the RS are homolog and the GSR has to need more changes to be start ready vs the RS. Long story, but this is the basics.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I personally prefer Evos with no ACD and no AYC.
i am not. What do you think why the ACD evos back then were faster then anything around even the early WRC car?
The reason why the stopped the group A because the active diff... There for the Mitsubishi lost all the advantige they had. Funny part is Group N where the ACD is allowed, the 10 years old mitsubishis just right behind the WRC cars... lollolol

Not anymore. some reason the WRC bought back the Active diffs.....

Now the Evo has no more chance.

The ACD is truly amazing, and the ACD AYC combo turns a lot better then the VI.

Vi has only 1 advantage over the later versions is the weight. But We talking about only stock form here. Other then that the VIII -IX - X is a better car. I am not sure about the VII i would call it a wash there.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

A ford Focus RS problem as mentioned previously in this thread.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ealers-attack/
Old Apr 7, 2017, 07:24 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by moparfan
A ford Focus RS problem as mentioned previously in this thread.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ealers-attack/
sad but true. This is why we can't have nice things.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
sad but true. This is why we can't have nice things.
Yea that's pretty much it...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...e-drive-review

In case you missed it, this was their, C&D's, explanation for the Ford Focus RS being dinged in the 10 best competition:

(was this one of the first major outlets to throw some shade?)

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wheres-...-make-the-cut/

Last edited by moparfan; Apr 14, 2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 07:21 PM
kaj

"throw some shade"?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj
"throw some shade"?
aka talkin' ****
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buddy has an RS, great car, can handle mods fairly well and its a monster on the track. But id rather have an evo 9 any day of the week. Glad I got rid of my subie too.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
im in the weeds on this front LSD discussion - many are arguing that an LSD adds understeer, based on no understanding of their own but an in-car interview with one of the GKN product heads who seems to contradict everything known about LSDs:

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/31-focu...slip-diff.html
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
When the group A cars went away, for me, the WRC died. Yeah, Mitsubishi was the best, so competitors, go make a better car. Constructing a special chassis for WRC is same as NASCAR. They both went the same route and when they did I lost interest in both.

I drive a 2003 Evo and it is a very good handling car - way better than any conventional passenger vehicle. Would an ACD AYC car be better. Better for racing but not sure about better for DD. I don't have to mess with failure prone pumps and where do I go to have a torque vectoring axle repaired. On my car everything is simple and fixable. Its given 14 years of service and is just now starting to cost me money. And some of that money being spent is because I want another 14 years.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 04:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
im in the weeds on this front LSD discussion - many are arguing that an LSD adds understeer, based on no understanding of their own but an in-car interview with one of the GKN product heads who seems to contradict everything known about LSDs:

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/31-focu...slip-diff.html
Of throttle a LSD does add understeer. Corner entry or decreasing radii, the LSD makes things worse. On throttle, its only useful if its preventing inside front wheel spin.

For AX, I would take the non-lsd Focus. I wouldnt even question it. After using open, installing quaife, running evo IX OEM, wavetrac torsen, 1way clutch, I will absolutely take 1way clutch > Open > Torsen for AX.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 04:12 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by barneyb
When the group A cars went away, for me, the WRC died. Yeah, Mitsubishi was the best, so competitors, go make a better car. Constructing a special chassis for WRC is same as NASCAR. They both went the same route and when they did I lost interest in both.

I drive a 2003 Evo and it is a very good handling car - way better than any conventional passenger vehicle. Would an ACD AYC car be better. Better for racing but not sure about better for DD. I don't have to mess with failure prone pumps and where do I go to have a torque vectoring axle repaired. On my car everything is simple and fixable. Its given 14 years of service and is just now starting to cost me money. And some of that money being spent is because I want another 14 years.
Agreed on all points, especially "purpose built" cars. When drift cars went to carbon-copy V8s in specially-built cars... I lost interest. Same as you mention with Rally and any other type of motorsport.
As for the ACD/AYC stuff... definitely not needed for daily driving. Not needed at all, IMO, unless you are really, really into cutting lap times. If you are a bit competitive at events... then maybe.
Personal Experience: I've autoXed Evo VIII/IXs with and without ACD. The difference is noticeable, but I had fun in both. The VIII was definitely slower through turns than my IX. I have ridden in a X and the AYC was very impressive. Wow @ the rotation. I've AutoXed an RS and it did amazing things. In my first-ever run, I was top three for TTOD. Very impressive. I now wizardry = faster, but I'd rather be slower and more involved.

Quick Reply: Focus RS