Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Resurrection advice needed, 9 guts into 8 roller.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 05:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
If youre doing a double DIN set-up this thread here should help on relocating the HVAC controls. Ive tagged the OP as well @superbovine
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tegration.html

Yeah, that fender can be saved but needs some experienced bodywork including welding that alum tab back on. May be better to find a take off fender in better shape?
The following users liked this post:
osetsky (Jun 23, 2019)
Old Jun 23, 2019, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 134 Likes on 123 Posts
About the fuel system...

I got 2 tanks but my nose is dodgy so I can't actually smell what's in 'em very well. Plan is to clean but not sure how crazy to get. Do I remove pump, hoses and bottom drain plugs and just go nuts with soapy pressure washer? Pull the entire tank and basically do same?

What about flushing lines and fuel rail and all that. I've done some searching and generally looks like pull stuff, soap it up real nice then rinse like mad and dry properly. Pour alcohol through to chase away water after? How likely are injectors to have issues?

I have new spark plugs but what else should I worry about?

This is a serious request as I don't wanna destroy engine but want info from 4G63 world. Helps me plan where to spend for best results.
MinusPrevious (Jun 23, 2019)
Old Jun 23, 2019, 01:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, remove the pump (drivers side access panel under rear pass seat)

Do a visual first w/flash light. Its very likely the tank is OK. If you want to drain it, yeah pull both drain plugs under the car

Hopefully the 8 roller was in good shape before taken out of service?

Once you do the first time fuel up, i would think flushing the lines w/93 might be warranted. Many unplug the main fuel supply in the engine bay & activate the fuel pump w/out starting the engine & clean those lines

Pulling down the tanks is a big job & hope you dont have to do that
Old Jun 23, 2019, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Guess I can screw up a fuel pump, got a DW200 to drop in(got cheap and flexfuel ready) and 2 stock. Also just payed for new spark plug cover to replace busted one currently on, should be here in 2 weeks. Cousin's husband is shipping replacement BBS and rear Bilsteins, hopefully tomorrow maybe in a week. Either way saves me 1k$ so patience is cheap!

Another fun tidbit, when I crashed I had literally driven 2300 miles on fresh clutch, winter tires and 60k service. Car rolled and did't stop for few seconds on it's side, what should I worry about in the engine?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 03:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If it was just a few seconds, i imagine, the engine oil film was still active

But, yeah, oil starvation issues would have been present if it was laying on its left side vs right (for an extended period. as in minutes or so)

Sorry, had missed that part of that was you who crashed the EvO. Glad you are OK

Question: You do have the service manual in PDF?

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 23, 2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 07:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by osetsky
How did you get ECU harness undone from firewall on the interior side!?! MAN what a PITA that was!
Had to take 2/10mm nuts out, one in engine bay and the other inside of car on firewall. I unplugged all wires in engine bay and underneath fuse boxes, resistor box, wiper motor, etc. Unpluged from ECU and all wires underneath dash, center console and driver's side. Pulled harness through firewall and plugged Evo 9 harness in. I'll send pics via PM. Definitely was a PITA.
osetsky (Jun 25, 2019)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Yes please! And did you have a trick for getting the nut back on the inside bolt? Seriously, why the deuce does that little bulkhead dealy thing gotta be like that?
Also, anyone with limited knowledge successfully re-stack your rear diff? Big deal? Peanuts? Kinda really wanna do this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 05:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Heres one of our more informative threads on the re-stack

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...factory-2.html
osetsky (Jun 26, 2019)
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Heres one of our more informative threads on the re-stack

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...factory-2.html
I had not seen that one, thanks! Lotta good pics and makes me think I should go for it. Got a random day off today so going to cars and pulling diff. Well, most of the rear end will come apart today I think. Gotta make a for sale thread soon...
MinusPrevious (Jun 26, 2019)
Old Jun 29, 2019, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Best laid plans and all that, rain! Need it though as fires are starting to kick up.
Did get a little time though and got some stuff ready to pull diff.
Which leads me to the next few pics of what I suspect are ABS sensors but I'm not entirely sure.
There is 1 busted off from exactly ? on each car. I think brakes because of location on wreck. Roller makes me nervous.

Thing on wreck.

Other side of thing on wreck. Rear driver well.

Similar deal on front driver from roller.
Thanks for any info folks.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 07:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Heres a small pic of the OEM EvO ABS sensor

The left sensor = MR569147 & the right sensor = MR569148
osetsky (Jun 30, 2019)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Heres a small pic of the OEM EvO ABS sensor

The left sensor = MR569147 & the right sensor = MR569148
Dude, you are a friggin' Champion! Wonder how much of a crap fest it'll be getting those stubs freed from the brakes...
Good gravy! Just checked the price on these. Really hoping some penetrating oil will free them up. Any tips from a real mechanic would be killer right about now...

Last edited by osetsky; Jun 30, 2019 at 04:50 AM. Reason: searched price...
MinusPrevious (Jun 30, 2019)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 06:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, read a few threads about removing those sensors. There are very tough to remove. One member noted Mitsu RTV'd them into place. One member suggested getting new hub knuckles & starting from fresh. The also suggested removing he hubs & getting the sensor machined out

Heres one thread for reference: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-removal.html
osetsky (Jun 30, 2019)
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

So I better be slow and smooth to try and not destroy any more of them. Kinda glad I got 2 sets available and should be able to pillage parts...assuming no more snappy snap...
MinusPrevious (Jun 30, 2019)
Old Jul 5, 2019, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ooooooo, exciting, mechanical has started coming off wreck so soon it's gonna be 1 car again! If you see this and need parts PM me about whatever. I am using drivetrain, power and electrics but there will be doors panels and bits left over. Yes I'll do a for sale post but that's later when I'm done. For now some more pics and questions.

This is the stuff I plan on using to clean axle end, diff housing and the converter on housing before I paint. Unless someone tells me that's a really bad idea.
Driveline, gonna buff off surface rust and paint again. Think it should get hit with the converter stuff?

Stock and what came with. Man were those bolts tight! Gonna run the stock until car is officially passed inspection to hit the road.

Both ends of mystery cable that runs through firewall into cabin on passenger side, guesses about what it's from? Should I keep it?

Rusty but oil was clean and turns smooth. Is it easier to get rid of moustache bar going back together?

Quick Reply: Resurrection advice needed, 9 guts into 8 roller.