Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kinugawa 25g turbo thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was my most recent tune at 25 psi on 93 oct. Still haven't installed the billet wheel though!
Attached Thumbnails Kinugawa 25g turbo thread-24psi.jpg  
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a beast! Nice number bro!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by koreanostrich
What a beast! Nice number bro!

That's because my car has the best tuner around! Lol,
You have to come by Proccolinos on a wednesday night,it's been getting packed and food is awesome as always
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:13 AM

My midterms will be down after october so that will probably be the earliest I can make it out there.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VIIIdriver
This was my most recent tune at 25 psi on 93 oct. Still haven't installed the billet wheel though!
Those are awesome results. I wonder if the billet wheel will improve spool...

Great bang for the buck nonetheless. Thank you for sharing.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
Those are awesome results. I wonder if the billet wheel will improve spool...

Great bang for the buck nonetheless. Thank you for sharing.

Don't really know about that,i talked to Kinugawa and they said it will offer 15% better airflow specially at higher boost,can't wait,car feels awesome!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
VIIIDriver, when did you start that pull? How is the transient response on the 2.4L?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
VIIIDriver, when did you start that pull? How is the transient response on the 2.4L?

That run was started at 3500 rpms,response is great,better than i thought it was gonna be,i guess it has a lot to do with the turbo,the 25G and 2.4LR combination is working out to be quite good,once i put the billet wheel and E85 on high boost i'll be touching 600hp for sure with great spool,i don't think it gets any better than that, and with a decent priced turbo to boot
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering this is a stock replacement turbo, I just might have to get me hands on one of these..im pretty impressed for the cost.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
That run was started at 3500 rpms,response is great,better than i thought it was gonna be,i guess it has a lot to do with the turbo,the 25G and 2.4LR combination is working out to be quite good,once i put the billet wheel and E85 on high boost i'll be touching 600hp for sure with great spool,i don't think it gets any better than that, and with a decent priced turbo to boot
hmmm. anyone who can read a graph can clearly see it spool slower than fp red. even slower than a black actually. and then power is falling off up top pretty bad in comparison to fp turbos. the billet wheel only flows more when the hub is made smaller than its cast counterpart. in case of the 20g there is a cast wheel that has hub just as small as the billet wheels. while I havent seen the 25g except in pictures it does look like that cast 5 blade 25g is already the flow monster with small hub. so you may not gain anything with the cast wheel. the TD6Sl2 turbine is getting maxed at 500whp. I dont think you will see 600. lastly look around at others using this turbo. 800 dollar turbos have generally lasted pretty good when boost is kept below 25psi. once you start eclipsing 30psi I bet she doesnt hold up long. But dont take it the wrong way. I wish you good results. You are already a winner getting to 500
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mcm308
Considering this is a stock replacement turbo, I just might have to get me hands on one of these..im pretty impressed for the cost.

Trust me i'm impressed myself, i took a chance on this turbo and boy did it turn out good! i'm not gonna say it's the best turbo ever but for the price i don't think you can beat it!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
hmmm. anyone who can read a graph can clearly see it spool slower than fp red. even slower than a black actually. and then power is falling off up top pretty bad in comparison to fp turbos. the billet wheel only flows more when the hub is made smaller than its cast counterpart. in case of the 20g there is a cast wheel that has hub just as small as the billet wheels. while I havent seen the 25g except in pictures it does look like that cast 5 blade 25g is already the flow monster with small hub. so you may not gain anything with the cast wheel. the TD6Sl2 turbine is getting maxed at 500whp. I dont think you will see 600. lastly look around at others using this turbo. 800 dollar turbos have generally lasted pretty good when boost is kept below 25psi. once you start eclipsing 30psi I bet she doesnt hold up long. But dont take it the wrong way. I wish you good results. You are already a winner getting to 500

The only reason i have lag is because i have no way to control boost right now,my external wg springs are maxed out at 25 psi,which means that i'm running straight off wg spring pressure as of now and the wg starts opening way sooner than it should,i already have stiffer springs which will be installed at the same time i upgrade to the billet wheel,the reason power falls off at the top is due to the highly conservative timing i have at the top end,i'm still not done tuning it,as far as the exhaust side goes they also sell a 11.5 housing which i will be using once i see that is needed to achieve more hp on the top end,the cast wheel just by beign a billet wheel will offer some improvements over a cast counterpart even everything else beign the same due to structural rigidity and strength preventing wheel deflection and deformation at higher boost levels,as far as hitting 600hp keep in mind that all my runs so far have been on 93 oct , no way to cantrol boost and 10.5 housing ,once i can run E85 on high boost with the Grimspeed 3 port i have on hand properly controlling boost and a possible 11.5 housing if needed i don't see it hard to get 600 or close to it with a turbo that is 1/3 the price of an FP turbo.As far as longevity at high boost any turbo pushed past their efficiency range will have their life shortened even FP turbos, that's just the way it goes,i ran this turbo at 30 psi for 4 months everyday as a dd when i had my old 2.0 and the internal wg set up and now i've been running it for 3 months at 25 psi with no signs of failure or premature wear,overall this "cheap" turbo is an overachiever in my book,when i have all the bugs sorted out in my set up running the way i want i think this turbo can do big power with good spool all day!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
The only reason i have lag is because i have no way to control boost right now,my external wg springs are maxed out at 25 psi,which means that i'm running straight off wg spring pressure as of now and the wg starts opening way sooner than it should,i already have stiffer springs which will be installed at the same time i upgrade to the billet wheel,the reason power falls off at the top is due to the highly conservative timing i have at the top end,i'm still not done tuning it,as far as the exhaust side goes they also sell a 11.5 housing which i will be using once i see that is needed to achieve more hp on the top end,the cast wheel just by beign a billet wheel will offer some improvements over a cast counterpart even everything else beign the same due to structural rigidity and strength preventing wheel deflection and deformation at higher boost levels,as far as hitting 600hp keep in mind that all my runs so far have been on 93 oct , no way to cantrol boost and 10.5 housing ,once i can run E85 on high boost with the Grimspeed 3 port i have on hand properly controlling boost and a possible 11.5 housing if needed i don't see it hard to get 600 or close to it with a turbo that is 1/3 the price of an FP turbo.As far as longevity at high boost any turbo pushed past their efficiency range will have their life shortened even FP turbos, that's just the way it goes,i ran this turbo at 30 psi for 4 months everyday as a dd when i had my old 2.0 and the internal wg set up and now i've been running it for 3 months at 25 psi with no signs of failure or premature wear,overall this "cheap" turbo is an overachiever in my book,when i have all the bugs sorted out in my set up running the way i want i think this turbo can do big power with good spool all day!
thats a lot of bench racing there.
I will reserve further judgement pending more results.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:49 AM

One thing i forgot to mention, my evo4 will be used for drag racing, dont mind the lag, more lag just means a turbo thats not on boost at low rpm all the time while daily driving, saving me gas.

Thanks heaps for the info guys. As much as i want to keep the TD06Sl2R, i think ill switch to the good old basic garrett gt3582 ball bearing turbo. in theory and with the dynos shown, [at high boost], the kinugawa's [seem] to run out of puff too soon.

Not my kind of graph... it has a nice, flat linear power curve between 5000-6500 but then the power starts to taper away after 6500rpm. I'm sure you'd be revving at least to 8000rpm? its a 2.4L but still, you have 264 degree cams?

Added: it just wouldn't suit my setup, being a short stroke 2.1, ill be asking my tuner to set the rev limit to 9000rpm. the kinugawa just doesn't seem it will support a good top end at high boost.

Last edited by Matt K; Sep 30, 2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: added comment
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matt K
One thing i forgot to mention, my evo4 will be used for drag racing, dont mind the lag, more lag just means a turbo thats not on boost at low rpm all the time while daily driving, saving me gas.

Thanks heaps for the info guys. As much as i want to keep the TD06Sl2R, i think ill switch to the good old basic garrett gt3582 ball bearing turbo. in theory and with the dynos shown, [at high boost], the kinugawa's [seem] to run out of puff too soon.

Not my kind of graph... it has a nice, flat linear power curve between 5000-6500 but then the power starts to taper away after 6500rpm. I'm sure you'd be revving at least to 8000rpm? its a 2.4L but still, you have 264 degree cams?

Added: it just wouldn't suit my setup, being a short stroke 2.1, ill be asking my tuner to set the rev limit to 9000rpm. the kinugawa just doesn't seem it will support a good top end at high boost.
I have GSC S2 cams,on the street i rev to 7,500 and only for the track i do 8k,like i said before i kept the timing pretty low on the top end,still not running high boost and no form of boost control so i can't do nothing about the linearity of the boost progression,here is a pic of something i was trying just the other day,i lowered timing early on and added timing on the top end to get a flatter curve,it was a 4th gear pull though.
Attached Thumbnails Kinugawa 25g turbo thread-26-psi-spike.jpg  

Quick Reply: Kinugawa 25g turbo thread