Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a ricer and running a metal intake pipe and no bov for that mad choo choo sound lol. Went back to stock full recirc and an oem evo 8 intake and have no idea why I didn't do that in the first place haha.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:30 AM

What I regret? Staying on the stock MAF and not going to speed density sooner.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I regret nothing.

My mod list is pretty simple however so I dont know how much there is to regret.

Megan Downpipe
Megan EXhaust
Manual Boost Controller
Injen Short Ram with full intercooling piping
Spec Stage 2 + Clutch
fidanza flywheel

All tuned to a nice 320awhp
Old Mar 23, 2015, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exedy Triple Clutch.
Gonna go back to a single plate style clutch. Probably give the new CC stage 3 a try.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 01:18 PM

Reading this thread lol.

Just kidding, but this thread has made me question whether I want to even touch this car modification wise. Coming from a 2008 Caliber SRT4 that I did about 26 modifications to I already have the mod bug. However, this car note is much more then the SRT4 was and I don't even know if I am keeping it so it might stay stock. Time will tell if this car stays stock when the RS comes out or if I am trading it in. So my one regret so far is purchasing the X not even a month before the announcement that the RS is coming to the US. I am enjoying the X, but not having a 6th gear is getting to me on my commute to work. I miss having a 6th gear but I love having traction lol.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 09:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by fjm9898
Exedy Triple Clutch.
Gonna go back to a single plate style clutch. Probably give the new CC stage 3 a try.

You'll regret that too. I HATE my CC stage 3. Inconsistent engagement point, and inconsistent grabiness. Terrible. Its so bad, I have an ACT XTSS on the shelf in the garage to go in as soon as I have time, not even going to wait for the comp to wear out..
Old May 14, 2015, 08:40 PM

dont buy cheap floor mats mine are just exploding after a few months
Old May 24, 2015, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
BITD with my Evo VIII I bought TIEN Lowering springs. Ruined the cars handling and ruined my OEM suspension I then bought Omnipower Coilovers which fell apart but I at least got my money back.
Old May 24, 2015, 04:27 PM

I bought polyurethane side skirts and they look terrible.

Now debating if I should buy the rexspeed carbon sideskirts or not.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
You'll regret that too. I HATE my CC stage 3. Inconsistent engagement point, and inconsistent grabiness. Terrible. Its so bad, I have an ACT XTSS on the shelf in the garage to go in as soon as I have time, not even going to wait for the comp to wear out..
Good to know, thanks. I had a CC stage 2 on my previous Evo and I loved it. There are quite a few stories of the clutch not lasting long, so I am debating between that and the XTSS.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:40 PM

I regret keeping the Ikeya sequential shifter on the car after I bought it.

If not set up perfectly, they easily ruin transmissions...and they only have instructions written in Japanese
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:31 AM

I regret buying the typhoon intake without doing research on it. The carbon fiber caught my eye and it was kinda cheap, now I cant get rid of it.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:20 AM

I do, and I do not regret, buying a highly modded evo. It all began the first day I picked it up. Given it was a long drive home, the head gasket blew. Fast forward two months, I had an AMS 2.3RR Stroker motor planted in along with an Exedy triple disk clutch, OEM ported exhaust mani, new busy controller and a lot of headache and money to bring it back to life. It runs great now, is just the small things that I wish were done better. JW fab catch can, far too small for the application, horrible welds from whomever did the cage install, lazy wiring and fender mounting. All in all, I still love it to death, but the strain of fixing other people's poor handy work, got a little annoying.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:19 AM

I regret doing the FD2 rear conversion on my car. Yeah, it looks good, and I'm like 1 out of maybe 2-3 people in the area to have it done, but I can never put my OE trunk and lights back on without even more modification. So when I go to sell/trade in my car that's $800 down the drain which, to me, is a decent amount of monerino.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

I've been pleased with just about all my mods and upgrades, but there are two instances that stand out.

Stop Tech Street Performance pads on my freshly cut OEM rotors. Squealed like crazy from day one, even while I was bedding them in. Tried all the usual remedies to get them to shut up, but to no avail. I work nights and wonder how many times I woke up my neighbors, as I came squealing up to my house at 4 or 5 in the morning? Just replaced them with Girodisc 2-pieces and Magic pads all around...no more noise.

Speed Source solid brass shift cable bushings, installed about 4 years ago. Recently bought a Works short shifter with urethane base and shift cable bushings. Had the shifter and base bushings installed and figured I would install the shift cable bushings so everything matched. I got the small bushing out fine, but the large one had started to gall and was partially seized up in the cable end. Had to soak it with penetrating oil and pry it out with a screwdriver. Fortunately didn't do any damage to the cable and got the new bushings installed with no further trouble, screw those things.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?