Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Dropped it hard. I was a child and thought reving the motor to 5500 rpm and letting go of the clutch as fast as possible was a good idea. Clearly was a horrible idea. Big bang, one tire spin, and once I let off and got going it pulled to the driver side.. it accidentally converted an AWD car to a single wheel dirve car

You should be alrite. It was driver error on my part hands down.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Section518EVO
Dropped it hard. I was a child and thought reving the motor to 5500 rpm and letting go of the clutch as fast as possible was a good idea. Clearly was a horrible idea. Big bang, one tire spin, and once I let off and got going it pulled to the driver side.. it accidentally converted an AWD car to a single wheel dirve car

You should be alrite. It was driver error on my part hands down.
lmao that's epic. Live and learn right!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. being a cheap ***. never pays off.
2. being impatient. also never pays off.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^ true
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I would have chosen the quietest exhaust possible and a tune then invest everything else in the driver mod. Now I have turbos, injectors and all sorts of parts laying around which used to be $$$.

Also feels like a fast (and loud) car I have to drive slow most of the time or worry about arrest me speeds. Kind of miss the slow car fast way of doing things.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not buying a car with parts that would not pass CA smog! Had to sell my car out of state or put it back to stock to register it, well legally that is. I changed cars way too much back then. Wish I still had that car for just a fun car!
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Looking back as of today:

1. Swapping a larger turbo. Due to some bad luck and other issues it didn't last long. I feel like I wasted money and my lap times weren't really that much better than on my stock turbo. The car is so much more fun to drive now.

2. Buying a used transmission to use as-is. Nobody ever sells a perfect-working transmission LOL

3. Trying to build my own shortblock. I still have no idea what killed it, but it sure was fun trying.

4. Using any other clutch than an ACT HDSS. Everything else I tried just worked like crap and/or broke. After 17yrs of ACT usage, I should know better.
sorry for bringing your old post up, regarding your point 4. do you mean that going with the ACT HDSS is the right way? I am currently looking for a clutch to replace my OEM clutch. My evo 9 is the 6 speed manual, so power will not be more than its torque capability and prioritizing street drivability. I drive in a pretty hilly area so easy clutch engagement is important.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I wanted to not blow a ton of money on a new turbo so i got a map ef2 used and under preformed now im mad and have to spend money on a better turbo. Also, not regret but should of gone with a 2.2 or 2.3 and not a 2.0 long rod motor.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ironman9
sorry for bringing your old post up, regarding your point 4. do you mean that going with the ACT HDSS is the right way? I am currently looking for a clutch to replace my OEM clutch. My evo 9 is the 6 speed manual, so power will not be more than its torque capability and prioritizing street drivability. I drive in a pretty hilly area so easy clutch engagement is important.
I've never used the ACT HDSS, but I've been using the Exedy Organic Stage 1 clutch with my 6 speed for years now. My car just has basic bolt ons, and the clutch feel is just a tad heavier than stock. I believe Exedy is also the OEM for the stock clutch. No complaints whatsoever.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 11:12 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by ironman9
For me, that clutch has always been great. I've used ACT discs, pucks, sprung/unsprung, HD and Extreme pressure plates, on different platforms over the years. Not once did I ever have a problem with any of them. Once... ONCE I strayed and installed an Exedy. One of the springs from the disc came loose and wedged it's way under the PP fingers. It took a full day to get the trans and clutch out. So, I went back to ACT. Lots of other people will say other clutches are fine, I just stick with what I know works. Your results may vary The HD PP is heavier than stock but you won't notice after a few days of driving. It's not so bad that you can't be stuck in traffic, etc. I'd suggest researching your options and picking what you feel works best for you. It's possible that my situation was a fluke.

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
I wanted to not blow a ton of money on a new turbo so i got a map ef2 used and under preformed now im mad and have to spend money on a better turbo. Also, not regret but should of gone with a 2.2 or 2.3 and not a 2.0 long rod motor.
Sorry to hear, dude. Despite all the threads on EvoM (and warnings from my tuner) about how much of a POS MAP turbos are, I tried one too. It broke within a week. MAP fixed it. Same thing happened so I sent it back again. They sent me a refund because they decided to stop supporting/repairing/selling the turbos. They were trash. I feel your pain
Old Nov 18, 2020, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear, dude. Despite all the threads on EvoM (and warnings from my tuner) about how much of a POS MAP turbos are, I tried one too. It broke within a week. MAP fixed it. Same thing happened so I sent it back again. They sent me a refund because they decided to stop supporting/repairing/selling the turbos. They were trash. I feel your pain [/QUOTE]

Turbo seems fine. I made 400 HP on 26 pounds of boost. Tuner said that's all turbo has. I know the tune could use some work but I wanted 450 460. Giu i got turbo made around 480 on 28 pounds. I know my car is set up to make the power so im blaming it on turbo and tune. Solution spend more money.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 10:04 AM
kaj

Turbo seems fine. I made 400 HP on 26 pounds of boost. Tuner said that's all turbo has. I know the tune could use some work but I wanted 450 460. Giu i got turbo made around 480 on 28 pounds. I know my car is set up to make the power so im blaming it on turbo and tune. Solution spend more money.
I'll cross my fingers for ya. They aren't known to last very long. Good luck, brotha!
The following users liked this post:
thepoint4life23 (Nov 19, 2020)
Old Nov 23, 2020, 03:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear, dude. Despite all the threads on EvoM (and warnings from my tuner) about how much of a POS MAP turbos are, I tried one too. It broke within a week. MAP fixed it. Same thing happened so I sent it back again. They sent me a refund because they decided to stop supporting/repairing/selling the turbos. They were trash. I feel your pain
Turbo seems fine. I made 400 HP on 26 pounds of boost. Tuner said that's all turbo has. I know the tune could use some work but I wanted 450 460. Giu i got turbo made around 480 on 28 pounds. I know my car is set up to make the power so im blaming it on turbo and tune. Solution spend more money.[/QUOTE]

Surefire, that's the only way to solve that, "Spend more......."
Old Nov 23, 2020, 09:50 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by magnesium101

Surefire, that's the only way to solve that, "Spend more......."
I'm pretty sure that is the official Step 1 of anything car related. "Step 1: Spend more money".

Old Nov 23, 2020, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Biggest regret was not having a plan before I started slapping parts on the car. I could've been where I am now YEARS ago if I had a plan.

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?