Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
To be honest ,I'm not sure. It's full 3" with an oval Magnaflow, which is exactly what I wanted. It has a v-band before the diff. I could probably use that to identify the brand..I just never bothered LOL
Between that and the resonated test pipe ,it's really not to too bad. The old exhaust was just too loud, no matter how much HP it made. In general, my car could make more power if I swapped out some parts, but I don't wanna live with the consequences. I have different goals, these days, I think.
I hear you! I'm torn (some would say confused)... I'm an old guy so I'm a bit "over it" when it comes to making too many comfort compromises, but I sold my last car (C7 Z06) because it wasn't "raw" enough... There's no pleasing me. I am loving my raw as cookie dough Evo though! It's just pesky neighbors and California statutes that can take the sheen off. ;-)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:59 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Is2scooby
I hear you! I'm torn (some would say confused)... I'm an old guy so I'm a bit "over it" when it comes to making too many comfort compromises, but I sold my last car (C7 Z06) because it wasn't "raw" enough... There's no pleasing me. I am loving my raw as cookie dough Evo though! It's just pesky neighbors and California statutes that can take the sheen off. ;-)
I hear that. In my younger days I liked loud everything. Now my priorities have changed. My car is my "race" car, but if I decide to take it out to a weekend meet, I want to enjoy the drive. I.E. my friends give me a hard time because I refuse to ditch the A/C. My lap times won't improve if I do so and I'll sweat my *** off any time I take the car out in the summer. Yeah. No thanks. I'm keeping A/C, defroster, glass windshield, cupholder, and quieter exhaust
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Oct 27, 2018)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by kaj
I hear that. In my younger days I liked loud everything. Now my priorities have changed. My car is my "race" car, but if I decide to take it out to a weekend meet, I want to enjoy the drive. I.E. my friends give me a hard time because I refuse to ditch the A/C. My lap times won't improve if I do so and I'll sweat my *** off any time I take the car out in the summer. Yeah. No thanks. I'm keeping A/C, defroster, glass windshield, cupholder, and quieter exhaust
I hear you! This is my weekend fun car so it needs to be a bit raw, but can't cook me alive without A/C here around Sacramento.

BTW, Jay from Boosted Tuning tuned my car as well. Talk about raw... His car's BR exhaust has me yelling at idle so he can hear me. Mine is nowhere near that loud. LOL
Old Oct 27, 2018, 01:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks! That sounds like a nice setup. I was thinking about ditching the DC Sports 3" one-piece downpipe for something that is more modular to play with resonators, etc. However, I think I'm going to see if I can live with the volume for now to enjoy the quicker spool with my FP Black and 2.0.

I personally don't think it's THAT loud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUdFuJpb8Q&feature=youtu.be

I'm thinking of a stroker in the future and at that point perhaps I can use the additional displacement to spool the turbo quickly and muffle it a bit more with a quieter exhaust to keep the neighbors happy.
Saw & heard your Vid Sounds good & for sure looks very clean (i like it). Gave it a thumbs up

Wish you and Kaj were further South or i was further North for a Hard Park meet
Is2scooby (Oct 27, 2018)
Old Oct 27, 2018, 02:00 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

Sounds like a BWRP meet is in order.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 02:14 PM
kaj

I hear you! This is my weekend fun car so it needs to be a bit raw, but can't cook me alive without A/C here around Sacramento.

BTW, Jay from Boosted Tuning tuned my car as well. Talk about raw... His car's BR exhaust has me yelling at idle so he can hear me. Mine is nowhere near that loud. LOL
I had a BR exhaust before my current setup (picked it up from Jay, in fact). at 2:18 you can hear it over other cars LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jTt...ature=youtu.be

Here, it's just loud everywhere

Car looks and sounds different now. Much more enjoyable, these days.
Is2scooby (Oct 28, 2018)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 08:54 AM

Not gonna lie, that sounds AWESOME on video. I'm sure it was much less fun to deal with in the cabin of the car though. ;-)
Old Oct 28, 2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Saw & heard your Vid Sounds good & for sure looks very clean (i like it). Gave it a thumbs up

Me too, I love meetups! I'm originally from Hawaii where if you found someone on a forum and they were at least on the same island as you a meetup was easy. ;-)

On e85 my car doesn't travel to faraway places too economically. LOL
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:28 AM
kaj

Not gonna lie, that sounds AWESOME on video. I'm sure it was much less fun to deal with in the cabin of the car though. ;-)
I have no interior from the b-pillar back along with no carpet or headliner. Can you say "drum"? It's pretty loud. Even now, driving the car to the track is pretty annoying.... but I had to wear earplugs with the BR setup. 2-3hrs of that noise was more than I could handle.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regretting my AMS exhaust. Really nice quality TBE but so loud...arrest me loud and that's with the HFC. My wifi name is "peoplewithloudcar."

Researching a new setup now. I might try and mimic the RRE Stealth exhaust.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 07:11 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Evo Arcana
Regretting my AMS exhaust. Really nice quality TBE but so loud...arrest me loud and that's with the HFC. My wifi name is "peoplewithloudcar."

Researching a new setup now. I might try and mimic the RRE Stealth exhaust.
I used to have a BR exhaust. I had to use ear plugs going back and forth between Fresno and Rosamond. 😂
Now I have a resonated TP And Magnaflow straight-through oval muffler. Not bad, IMO.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Mini battery kit. Very prone to dying in winter.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 08:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by revhappy
Mini battery kit. Very prone to dying in winter.
Been running the PC680 for 10years +

Trickle charger is a must
Old Feb 6, 2019, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
only one regret.
Going to a drag strip at 20 years old not knowing how to launch an Evo properly with an FP red, S2 cams, ams 4" intercooler and a bunch of other stuff at 450 WHP on a conservative tune. Luckily I had an exedy twin and bushur stage 1 tranny that took most of the hit without breaking...but the tcase was not ready. RIP. When it came off I had two halfs of a tcase and about 50 pieces of an output shaft and ruined a good drag day shutting the strip down for 2 hours due to all of the fluids down the track.

Lessons learned
1- learn how to launch before doing it
2- finish the drivetrain build once started
3- drivetrain rebuilds are expensive

So two regrets. Selling my 8 which this happened in. but into a 9 and x (still looking to replace my totaled one from last week) Live, learn, RESEARCH is key!!!!!!!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Section518EVO
only one regret.
Going to a drag strip at 20 years old not knowing how to launch an Evo properly with an FP red, S2 cams, ams 4" intercooler and a bunch of other stuff at 450 WHP on a conservative tune. Luckily I had an exedy twin and bushur stage 1 tranny that took most of the hit without breaking...but the tcase was not ready. RIP. When it came off I had two halfs of a tcase and about 50 pieces of an output shaft and ruined a good drag day shutting the strip down for 2 hours due to all of the fluids down the track.

Lessons learned
1- learn how to launch before doing it
2- finish the drivetrain build once started
3- drivetrain rebuilds are expensive

So two regrets. Selling my 8 which this happened in. but into a 9 and x (still looking to replace my totaled one from last week) Live, learn, RESEARCH is key!!!!!!!
Damn, this scares me because I have similar mods and havent launched my car yet. Lol. Did you drop the clutch or what?

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?