Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyone here regret certain mods?

Hey all,

First off let me start my rant by saying that I love my Evo and the power it puts down. Love hearing it idle and WOT is a blast, literally.

The tasteful mods installed has really transformed this already great car to an even better one.

BUT! With this being said there is one mod that I kinda regret doing ....sorta

My car is LOUD. Like way too loud just cruising around town. I live in SoCal so that already speaks for itself. Cops here give car guys a hard time because of a small group of idiots.

Back to what I was saying- my car is loud now that I have cams. Before cams my car was tolerable with open dump down pipe, straight pipe and Tomei cat. Now that I've been running GSC S2 cams my car went from a nice tone to a BEAST.

I'm 27 years old. Could be my age, could not. I like loud cars but just leaving the neighborhood setting off alarms, well I can use a change.

To remedy this I ordered a Megan Racing resonated test pipe. Hopefully this bring it down a notch.

What mods do you regret? Am I over exaggerating? share your thought
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should consider a HFC instead. with the resonated test pipe you'll still have some smell, which I think is gonna get the LEOs looking at you harder. I have the same issue as you and went with the RRE stealth exhaust with mil spec HFC.

Still loud...but as long as you don't step on it hard around LEOs it's been alright.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by evostanman
Hey all,

First off let me start my rant by saying that I love my Evo and the power it puts down. Love hearing it idle and WOT is a blast, literally.

The tasteful mods installed has really transformed this already great car to an even better one.

BUT! With this being said there is one mod that I kinda regret doing ....sorta

My car is LOUD. Like way too loud just cruising around town. I live in SoCal so that already speaks for itself. Cops here give car guys a hard time because of a small group of idiots.

Back to what I was saying- my car is loud now that I have cams. Before cams my car was tolerable with open dump down pipe, straight pipe and Tomei cat. Now that I've been running GSC S2 cams my car went from a nice tone to a BEAST.

I'm 27 years old. Could be my age, could not. I like loud cars but just leaving the neighborhood setting off alarms, well I can use a change.

To remedy this I ordered a Megan Racing resonated test pipe. Hopefully this bring it down a notch.

What mods do you regret? Am I over exaggerating? share your thought

Similar situation. Im in So.Cal as well & worry everytime i roll out w/the EvO. I dont have an open dump but run a full 3 incher & Im on the S2's as well (love the idle)

Old Oct 23, 2018, 08:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Resonated test pipe will barely knock if 1-2dB. The Tomei is loud, I'd probably suggest a different cat back.

If the tomei is stainless, it wouldn't be very expensive to put a resonator in the midpipe right before the rear diff. That's where it'll do the most good.

Most Cali guys run the RRE stealth exhaust to avoid police attention.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:16 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone

Most Cali guys run the RRE stealth exhaust to avoid police attention.
OP: gotta be stealthy, in CA. I have a Magnaflow that was all shiny stainless steel. I scuffed it up really good and painted it with BBQ paint. Now it's just a black muffler with a 3" tip. Looks pretty tame. I drive like a grandma, so I don't really get much attention when I drive the car.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
OP: gotta be stealthy, in CA. I have a Magnaflow that was all shiny stainless steel. I scuffed it up really good and painted it with BBQ paint. Now it's just a black muffler with a 3" tip. Looks pretty tame. I drive like a grandma, so I don't really get much attention when I drive the car.
lol @ bbq paint

I have the Perrin catback and it's perfect in the noise department.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 05:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I enjoyed the anonymity of my quiet Greddy SP2 exhaust, but my tuner thought I was leaving a bunch of power on the table with that quiet exhaust. I put on a STM SS exhaust and immediately picked up 23AWHP and 20AWT. In addition to picking up power and earlier spool, the car sounds GREAT but is LOUD. I find myself NOT taking the car out for cruises at night due to trying to be respectful of my neighbors. Meh.

Thinking about trying a MAP catback with Varex muffler.
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (Oct 24, 2018)
Old Oct 24, 2018, 06:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
I enjoyed the anonymity of my quiet Greddy SP2 exhaust, but my tuner thought I was leaving a bunch of power on the table with that quiet exhaust. I put on a STM SS exhaust and immediately picked up 23AWHP and 20AWT. In addition to picking up power and earlier spool, the car sounds GREAT but is LOUD. I find myself NOT taking the car out for cruises at night due to trying to be respectful of my neighbors. Meh.

Thinking about trying a MAP catback with Varex muffler.
You still have the CAT? If so, time to run some E85 & remove the CAT
Old Oct 24, 2018, 06:49 PM
kaj

I used to have a BR exhaust. Had a tiny muffler. Flowed well but too loud. I'm cool with more HP, but not at all costs.
Is2scooby (Oct 27, 2018)
Old Oct 24, 2018, 07:47 PM

It's catless already via a DC Sports one-piece DP. Smells like corn all the time.

The car BOOGIES with 540whp and the quicker spool with the less restrictive catback, but it's going to cause a war with my neighbors and the local constabulary. :-p

I wish I could go back to the quieter exhaust but not back to the 517whp and slower spool.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 07:47 PM

I used to have a BR exhaust. Had a tiny muffler. Flowed well but too loud. I'm cool with more HP, but not at all costs.
What did you end up replace the BR with?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 07:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

It's catless already via a DC Sports one-piece DP. Smells like corn all the time.

The car BOOGIES with 540whp and the quicker spool with the less restrictive catback, but it's going to cause a war with my neighbors and the local constabulary. :-p

I wish I could go back to the quieter exhaust but not back to the 517whp and slower spool.
Oh Dang, Yeah youre pretty well modded w/the exhaust & that WHP!

I run a full Invidia 3" (CAT less) but have resonated mid pipe (maybe that would help?)

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Oct 24, 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 08:32 PM
kaj

What did you end up replace the BR with?
To be honest ,I'm not sure. It's full 3" with an oval Magnaflow, which is exactly what I wanted. It has a v-band before the diff. I could probably use that to identify the brand..I just never bothered LOL
Between that and the resonated test pipe ,it's really not to too bad. The old exhaust was just too loud, no matter how much HP it made. In general, my car could make more power if I swapped out some parts, but I don't wanna live with the consequences. I have different goals, these days, I think.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
One of my regrets is buying a replica jdm rear (bayson r) after a couple year now it’s cracking where the bumper bracket is all around the bumper

Old Oct 27, 2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Oh Dang, Yeah youre pretty well modded w/the exhaust & that WHP!

I run a full Invidia 3" (CAT less) but have resonated mid pipe (maybe that would help?)
Thanks! That sounds like a nice setup. I was thinking about ditching the DC Sports 3" one-piece downpipe for something that is more modular to play with resonators, etc. However, I think I'm going to see if I can live with the volume for now to enjoy the quicker spool with my FP Black and 2.0.

I personally don't think it's THAT loud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUd...ature=youtu.be

I'm thinking of a stroker in the future and at that point perhaps I can use the additional displacement to spool the turbo quickly and muffle it a bit more with a quieter exhaust to keep the neighbors happy.

Last edited by Is2scooby; Oct 27, 2018 at 01:01 PM.
MinusPrevious (Oct 27, 2018)

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?