Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Focus RS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I see plenty with high HP.

Cool, so you know how to improve a car you've never seen or worked on? Awesome.
So where do you see all these high hp track X MR's? Link

and yes, I know that a mechanical rear diff is going to be more reliable, hold more hp, and not generate as much heat as the GKN twinster design. The info is out there, go read.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Where is this info? Have any tuners actually started tinkering yet or is it just more speculation and assumptions on your part? Of course a mechanical would be better if you want a dedicated track car. The same can be said of the Evo X.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
There has been a big change in how the SST is perceived between when it first came out, and now. Big power SST builds aren't rare anymore.
yes they are, specially when you talking about big TQ numbers, and still very unreilable for hard track use.
If you go racing manual is the way to go woth the Evo.
SST wont handle the power that reilbale and that long as the MT does. That in no secret to anyone who are racing.

Also some SST has nice dyno numvers, but i dont see them on track. Maybe one or two. I have a friend who has a 500+ evo, but sits in the garage. Its a 2010 sst. So on paper he has a 6 years old evo 500+ hp, with no issue. I think he barely drove 3000 miles since he has a car, i certain he never put it on the track for sure..
So that makes the SST reliable, and handeling high power? lol
Old Apr 16, 2016, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Focus RS Vs Civic Type R test:

Old Apr 16, 2016, 03:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,546 Likes on 1,325 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Despite what you say, I do not see very many X MR's being used at the track. The SST is rediculously expensive to repair.

Also, I don't think simply adding a cooler is going to solve the GKN twinster heat issue. More than likely the whole unit will get swapped out of a mechanical one (like on the RS RX).
Probably because it's an auto. Given a choice for a performance car I intend on abusing, I will always pick a manual trans if it's available because its more fun/challenging to drive.

SST aren't that expensive. They are more expensive than a manual (maybe), but it's not prohibitive in the realm of a typical "for fun" track car.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

We're also, again, using racing as somehow the benchmark of a good car.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Specially when it comes down to performance cars.
Even more so when its been extensively advertised with a racing heritage, and all commercial made on race tracks etc etc.
Shouldn't be surprising.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
You would prefer we use cargo space, mpg, and safety? Maybe you should be on the Prius forums.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

You would prefer we use cargo space, mpg, and safety? Maybe you should be on the Prius forums.
no one deserves that.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Specially when it comes down to performance cars.
Even more so when its been extensively advertised with a racing heritage, and all commercial made on race tracks etc etc.
Shouldn't be surprising.
Why does it matter? 99% of Focuses won't be heavily modified. At best, they'll have the usual bolt-ons like exhaust, intake and tune. Who the **** cares?

No, I'd prefer that you not speculate and made baseless accusations about a car you have no interest in, apparently know nothing about, and only like to **** on to validate your own car choice.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 06:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Is there any word yet on delivery time of these? It's pretty weird that it's mid April and the US hasn't heard a peep. The one I got the printout for at the local dealer is back to pending in their system with no build date.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Is there any word yet on delivery time of these? It's pretty weird that it's mid April and the US hasn't heard a peep. The one I got the printout for at the local dealer is back to pending in their system with no build date.
Because Ford is still trying to figure out why their 350 HP RS can barely hang with a 305 HP STI in 0-60 and 1/4 mile

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

"No question, this has become the performance hatchback to beat."]

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old Apr 16, 2016, 08:42 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by whtrice
Because Ford is still trying to figure out why their 350 HP RS can barely hang with a 305 HP STI in 0-60 and 1/4 mile
HP is part of the story. What about the gearing, tire rolling diameter, driver skill, etc?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
HP is part of the story. What about the gearing, tire rolling diameter, driver skill, etc?
that is what i always said from day one, Ford was always very generous about they HP figures, and the real life they some how never backed that up. Best example the Mustangs. ST's are preatty quick, but i havent run into any of those which can even slightly keep up with my tuned, and only TBE equipped EvoX.... Which is if you ask me suprising.

Also i am always preaching it, HP is just a fraction of the story.

But the RS hype is still legit. I think will be a great car and fast / quick. Should be a lot faster then ST's.
I have high hopes for it, but i am still hesitating to jump into one. ( mainly because the drive train and there is no wide body) I doubt as much as we known will be more suitable for racing as the Evos are yet. STI never really was competition for them since the crappy engine they have. This new RS hopefully will be one to beat.
Cant wait.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
C&D's numbers appear consistent with the other recent tester results. MPH is usually a really good indication of the power a car can make. E.T's are a little more affected your variables.

The results of two vehicles with essentially the same weight going the same MPH in the 1/4 casts doubt on Fords proclamation of even 340 HP, let alone 350. I trust the Suby rating allot more then Fords right now.

Quick Reply: Focus RS